Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this scam call?

Is this scam call?

Old Jul 12th 2017, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice
Default Is this scam call?

Hi

I just received a call from a private number claiming they are from centrelink

they asked me to provide my personal information.

I did not give them any info, so the guy suggested that i should call this number 1800194053

I googled this number bout could not find it anywhere linked to centrelink

How can I know if that is a scam or genuine call?

Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2017, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this scam call?

Originally Posted by KenA
Hi

I just received a call from a private number claiming they are from centrelink

they asked me to provide my personal information.

I did not give them any info, so the guy suggested that i should call this number 1800194053

I googled this number bout could not find it anywhere linked to centrelink

How can I know if that is a scam or genuine call?

Thanks
Its a scam. Any call that asks you for personal information is a scam.

Use that google search to find info about "Centrelink scam calls"
Old Jul 12th 2017, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Scam.

Centrelink should never ask for your personal information.

Call a published Centrelink number and report the call.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Not a scam call at all. It's an authentic centerlink number called the compliance department doing a survey.

1800194053 | Who called? All you need to know about 1800194053

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 12th 2017 at 7:42 am.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 7:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Not a scam call at all. It's an authentic centerlink number called the compliance department doing a survey.

It's definitely a scam Ozzie. I know a couple of people on the link you posted have said it's genuine - it's not and the reviews are deliberately false. Wonder who posted them?

OP - Centrelink state that if you're unsure that a phone call is genuine, call them but only on one of their advertised numbers. The number you've given isn't on that list https://www.humanservices.gov.au/cus...ct-us/phone-us
Old Jul 12th 2017, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

KenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really niceKenA is just really nice

The problem is that to call centrelink on the numbers they posted means to be on hold for an hour at least.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 7:49 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

From that link it seems that there is NO concensus as to whether it is genuine, some people say it is genuine, and others are adamant that it isn't but is a scam
Old Jul 12th 2017, 7:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KenA
The problem is that to call centrelink on the numbers they posted means to be on hold for an hour at least.
I wouldn't stress about it Ken. If they call again, just say you're not comfortable with providing personal info over the phone, and ask them to send a letter instead. If they were genuine, that would be no problem. Don't stay on the line, don't engage in any further conversation or tell them anything else at all, just tell them they need to send a letter and that's it.

I'll just leave you with this - if they were who they said they were, they wouldn't need to ask you for personal information as they'd already have the lot.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

There's a link direct to their verified facebook page as well....

https://m.facebook.com/HumanServices...55461361226937

Not a way that Centerlink should be doing business.... . But I'm convinced it's not a scam.

99 times out of a 100 it would be..... This time for once it isn't.

Surprising actually.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 12th 2017 at 8:08 am.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 8:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest going the route of asking them to send you a letter as there does seem to be a lot of uncertainty about the number, since when can a compliance team all be away on holiday at the same time, perhaps an e mail to the complaints department might solve to problem.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I would suggest going the route of asking them to send you a letter as there does seem to be a lot of uncertainty about the number, since when can a compliance team all be away on holiday at the same time, perhaps an e mail to the complaints department might solve to problem.
One hell of a scam, if they've got people on the authentic DHS facebook page and on the verified site reverse number look up confirming it as genuine.... over the previous 2 years as well.
Old Jul 12th 2017, 8:16 am
Concierge

There's a link direct to their verified facebook page as well....

https://m.facebook.com/HumanServices...55461361226937

Not a way that Centerlink should be doing business.... . But I'm convinced it's not a scam.

99 times out of a 100 it would be..... This time for once it isn't.

Surprising actually.
I'm still sceptical Ozzie (although certainly not saying you're not right), scammers are very sophisticated these days!

Yes, someone from Centrelink shouldn't be calling you out of the blue, with no advance warning via mail, and then asking you to provide personal details that they already have. I would not tell these people a thing over the phone, whoever they are. It'd be "send me a letter".

BTW if it is really Centrelink, they're contracting their own advice about what to do if you're worried. How surprising, yes?!
Old Jul 12th 2017, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm still sceptical Ozzie (although certainly not saying you're not right), scammers are very sophisticated these days!

Yes, someone from Centrelink shouldn't be calling you out of the blue, with no advance warning via mail, and then asking you to provide personal details that they already have. I would not tell these people a thing over the phone, whoever they are. It'd be "send me a letter".

BTW if it is really Centrelink, they're contracting their own advice about what to do if you're worried. How surprising, yes?!

Agreed
Old Jul 12th 2017, 8:29 am
Concierge

Agreed
Because I'm a sad old arse, I had a look at that Human Services page, the number the OP was called from isn't mentioned.... scammers often provide a link to a genuine website... signed, Mrs Holmes
Old Jul 12th 2017, 9:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a similar one from the, err, ATO

Scamspamtastic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.