Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Savings and Interest

Savings and Interest

Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:06 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Savings and Interest

Originally Posted by tking
Also, if you give them your Tax File Number they will take interest immediately (i.e. not give you your $6K tax-free allowance). So personally I'd keep the TFN and pay the tax at the end of the year!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

gumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nicegumtree is just really nice

Originally Posted by Trevski
be carefull in oz all banks etc must by law tell the ato all your accounts savings etc so the ato will know, also when you bring over any amount over $25k they must inform the ato etc of money coming into oz, so be care full all money in accounts is classed as disposable income and counted as tax liable,it is different here compared to uk,in uk you can have you own savings and not get taxed but in oz the ato want a share of it
Have never heard of that before. Anyone has experiences with ATO enquiry on remittance from overseas (over $25k)?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gumtree
Have never heard of that before. Anyone has experiences with ATO enquiry on remittance from overseas (over $25k)?
I believe it's $10,000

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...money+tranfers
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gumtree
They don't make enquires, they just track all transfers over $10k using something called AUSTRAC. It's an anti-money laundering thing. The banks and other institutions legally have to report these transfers.

I think the same thing happens in the UK. I got questioned about a large transfer in the UK once.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jan 20th 2011 at 11:18 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:21 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
If I wanted to live off the interest of my savings, I'd want ALL the interest without tax being deducted to live off - maximising my income.

Then, I'd hopefully get a job and pay the tax owed on the interest at the end of the year.

Hopefully that's a bit clearer - as it's not against the law to withold your tax file number.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Then, I'd hopefully get a job and pay the tax owed on the interest at the end of the year.
That's all very well but I just got a five figure tax bill from the ATO

It does not seem such a good idea when you have to eventually pay up
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:29 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
That's all very well but I just got a five figure tax bill from the ATO

It does not seem such a good idea when you have to eventually pay up
Crikey, you must have a lot of savings! Good for you. The tax bill is crap though.

I personally think an element of interest earnt on savings should be tax free - maybe the 50% up to a max of $25K or something. Would encourgae saving a bit more.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, you must have a lot of savings! Good for you. The tax bill is crap though.
I also have an overseas income which is not taxed at source

You really need a lot of discipline to prepare for the inevitable tax bill
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

I also have an overseas income which is not taxed at source

You really need a lot of discipline to prepare for the inevitable tax bill
Not talking about you specifically but people (in general) seem happier when the ATO holds their money and hands it back than when they hold the ATO's money and have to stump it up.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:42 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Not talking about you specifically but people (in general) seem happier when the ATO holds their money and hands it back than when they hold the ATO's money and have to stump it up.
Agree

It is a tough one really.

I don't like the idea of the ATO holding on to my money but then I don't like paying the annual bill either.

Psychologically I can see that having a rebate each year must seem the best but I can't decide if it actually is.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

Agree

It is a tough one really.

I don't like the idea of the ATO holding on to my money but then I don't like paying the annual bill either.

Psychologically I can see that having a rebate each year must seem the best but I can't decide if it actually is.
Admittedly I have to remind myself that I've had the use of their money when the tax bill arrives.

In Aus there is the added factor that most people get rebates and use it to put things on lay-by during the July sales. It's like a government run Christmas club.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

If I wanted to live off the interest of my savings, I'd want ALL the interest without tax being deducted to live off - maximising my income.
Perhaps look at it this way - by earning interest you are earning an income. You might not be doing a 40 hour week behind a desk to earn it, but its income none the less. Some government somewhere will want something.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully that's a bit clearer - as it's not against the law to withold your tax file number.
But your original post said :

>>Also, if you give them your Tax File Number they will take interest immediately (i.e. not give you your $6K tax-free allowance). So personally I'd keep the TFN and pay the tax at the end of the year!<<

I don't know what you mean here by "Interest" - do you mean "Tax"? In any case, by providing your TFN they *don't* take tax - they *do* if you don't provide it. By giving a TFN you defer your tax to year end.

The OP would be best off calculating how much he needs realistically to live off until the worst case non-employment time, put that plus a bit into a high interest accessible account and the rest into one or two deposit accounts. Each institution has requirements to cover their positions day to day, and offers "specials" at higher deposit rates for various terms.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Banks, ATO, Centerlink all info share, your bank interest can be pulled up by either in seconds. Even my acct can access Interest details via his ATO access.

Centerlink know far more than you can imagine, they sent me a nice letter informing me I had been overseas and for how long, and cancelled my $0 payment We dont claim centerlink, just do annual tax return with allowances you get for having kids, but they knew about my trip. That can only be from immigration/passports.

I would also be a bit wary of sticking your money in your kids name Kids unearned income is taxed at a very high rate after a very small amount.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:12 am
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by freebo
$300,000 * 6% = $18,000 per year but the exact amount would depend on if the interest is compounded monthly or annually, annually is exactly $18,000 monthly is roughly $18,500, this is before tax.
Originally Posted by freebo
the interest will supplement your income but you will in no way be able to live off it, the average wage is around $65,000, I'm afraid that until you start earning you will be depleting your savings.
Thanks again everyone.

What I was hoping was that it would help us with rent we will have to pay. Like you say we will have to use some of it for living costs until we get work. Fingers crossed it wont take too long!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.