Reload this Page >

Sat nav or paper maps?

Sat nav or paper maps?

Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

bloodfoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Sat nav or paper maps?

Hello,

We are going to Oz in Sept for a look around Adelaide, but not sure weather to update our sat nav or to just buy an A to Z.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice
Default Re: Sat nav or paper maps?

Originally Posted by bloodfoot
Hello,

We are going to Oz in Sept for a look around Adelaide, but not sure weather to update our sat nav or to just buy an A to Z.

Any ideas?

Thanks
i think i would go with a sat nav after the arguments me & oh had during our recci in brisbane
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:55 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

If it's just for a recce, buy a UBD (paper map) when you get there. Much cheaper than GPS maps I would imagine.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Sat nav! Adelaide is bigger than you would think. I love my sat nav to bits.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:49 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We updated the satnav for our recce in Sydney, it saved a lot of time. I will try to do without it once we arrive for real to learn my way around. It was definitely worth paying for it.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:30 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Any ideas?

Thanks
SAT NAV without a doubt!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Hello,

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sat nab. Did one trip without and arrived with it. Would have had more success on reccie trip with it. Maps getting cheaper to
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Much prefer paper - don't trust anyone else to direct me. I like to map my route out and get to know all the areas. When we arrived I drove round for 5 weeks (with a 2 & 4 year old) trying to find a rental (OH at work) and it was much more fun trying to memorise all the turnings and road names! But perhaps I just prefer a challenge
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:06 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Much prefer paper - don't trust anyone else to direct me. I like to map my route out and get to know all the areas. When we arrived I drove round for 5 weeks (with a 2 & 4 year old) trying to find a rental (OH at work) and it was much more fun trying to memorise all the turnings and road names! But perhaps I just prefer a challenge
I am the same and I am also too tight fisted to spend a few hundred dollars on something that can't do anymore than a map can!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Sat nav for driving around but the real thing is better surely when you're looking at properties on the internet or trying to work out a plan for the day back in your accommodation.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 3:36 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Hello,

Any ideas?

Thanks
SAT NAV SAT NAV SAT NAV
Old Jul 13th 2008, 5:13 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Why not both? Paper maps won't cost you much, and they're very useful for poring over while planning house-spotting trips, or getting the general layout of the major roads. A satnav will sort you out if you go wrong, and give you ETAs and other info.

A map is for planning (strategy), a satnav is for driving (tactics)

Cheers
b
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Paper maps!!!!! Sat Nav you follow directions and end up where you want to be. Paper map you learn where you are going and you can get to see what else is in the area or plan an alternative route. Paper every time!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

AberJazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

SAT NAV WITHOUT A DOUBT!

I have just spent three months contracting in Sydney and I picked one up straight away, it was a tom tom one XL from Dick Smith for $280, worth every penny, opps cent!

I used it for three months and then sold it for $250! It saves so much time and effort and remember in OZ the police are very keep on speed cameras, so it gives you plenty of warning in advance on fixed speed cameras which is a great feature as well.

AberJazz
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

On a recent reccie to Melbourne, I found it essential to have both!

Finding your way around in the car is not easy in a place you don't know, and Sat Nav saves a lot of time and frustration. However, a cheap paper map is also essential to get an overview of the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.