Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Salary Package things to watch for??

Salary Package things to watch for??

Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary Package things to watch for??

If the 9% is included in the package then you will need to deduct this to see what you actual salary will be. If a package says $50k + super (eg) then the 50k is your actual wage but you get another 9% paid into your super on top.

Jo
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oxford_lad
I will be working on either a 309 or 100 visa so don't know wether i'd get LAFHA
It's highly unlikely that you'll be eligible for LAFHA on a spouse visa.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:41 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjersey
There is a site lafha.com.au. You can fill out a form to see if you are eligible.
Noooooooooo!!! Don't do it, you will get just as much, if not better info, off of the forums here and all that site is is a hook in for you to use their services which they charge for. Irrespective of Visa or status, when you are living away from your 'permanent' residence you are entitled to LAFHA, you could be an Ozzie living in Sydney, working on a project in Melbourne for 6 months and entitled to LAFHA, Yes there are certain criteria to be met but a simple question to the ATO will resolve any ambiguity.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:44 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
It's highly unlikely that you'll be eligible for LAFHA on a spouse visa.

Cheers

Steve
Hmmmmm you might be right there, unless the spouse is 'de facto', i.e. not married but 'living with partner' and has their own property back in their Permanent residency country. My colleague came over with his girlfriend as her 'spouse' de facto and still qualified for LAFHA.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:45 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by joho
If the 9% is included in the package then you will need to deduct this to see what you actual salary will be. If a package says $50k + super (eg) then the 50k is your actual wage but you get another 9% paid into your super on top.

Jo
Agree, 50k + Super is different from 50k inc Super.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 1:07 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Agree, 50k + Super is different from 50k inc Super.

Given that the government is planning to raise super contributions from 9%, you will be better off arranging a package that is $50k + super than a package that is $50k including super.

In the latter example, it is largely anticipated that any increase in the super contributions will just be drawn from your take home pay by your employer, meaning an effective take home pay cut.

In the former, it would seem that your base salary would be preserved as a contractual agreement, and your employer would have to find the extra to cover your super contributions from elsewhere.

I wish that I had known this when I negotiated my salary, but I was fresh off the plane and didn't know any better...

S

Last edited by Swerv-o; Jun 15th 2010 at 2:30 am.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:29 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Given that the government is planning to raise super contributions from 9%, you will be better off arranging a package that is $50k + super than a package that is $50k including super.

In the former example, it is largely anticipated that any increase in the super contributions will just be drawn from your take home pay by your employer, meaning an effective take home pay cut.

In the latter, it would seem that your base salary would be preserved as a contractual agreement, and your employer would have to find the extra to cover your super contributions from elsewhere.

I wish that I had known this when I negotiated my salary, but I was fresh off the plane and didn't know any better...

S
er......you mean the other way round right??? pseudo Monday morning blues???
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:30 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
er......you mean the other way round right??? pseudo Monday morning blues???
Cheers! Suitably edited!

S