Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - Rural Living

Perth - Rural Living

Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Question Perth - Rural Living

Hi All

Not really being beach people (don't mind visiting but can definitely live without an ocean view and the house prices that go with it!!) we are hoping you lovely, knowledgeable peeps will be able to give us the gen on decent areas for a young family to live in a rural location with good schools (primary, Junior and Senior) We don't mind where, north or south of Perth, as long at the schools are good.

Thanks.

Karen
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perth - Rural Living

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Hi All

Not really being beach people (don't mind visiting but can definitely live without an ocean view and the house prices that go with it!!) we are hoping you lovely, knowledgeable peeps will be able to give us the gen on decent areas for a young family to live in a rural location with good schools (primary, Junior and Senior) We don't mind where, north or south of Perth, as long at the schools are good.

Thanks.

Karen

Hi Karen,

Saw you had no replies yet so thought I would.

My children go to Peter Moyes in Mindarie, and there are familys there that live in Two Rocks and slightly further out on 5 acres blocks, which you could say are rural and travel in to school. Is this what you mean?

K
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimi
Hi Karen,

Saw you had no replies yet so thought I would.

My children go to Peter Moyes in Mindarie, and there are familys there that live in Two Rocks and slightly further out on 5 acres blocks, which you could say are rural and travel in to school. Is this what you mean?

K
'zulu lives in the Hills. K - something. Now I'm not suggesting you live near him, in fact I recommend a degree of seperation, but its a nice area. Better than the 500m square blocks of legoland.

Go for it. It's where I would be heading.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice

Hi All

Thanks.

Karen
Hi Colebecks
Re "RURAL"
Your next question is " where does the water come from" Mains,rainwater tank, spring, and commonsense conserved, will it last all year round.
All the best to you
Oldgit
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Karen

Hope you are all well. It depend on your budget as to what you will be able to afford. Also where will your hubby be working. You must take in consideration how long it will take him to commute and whether he wants to drive to take the train. Take a look on aussiemove.com - it bit has been said about schools on there - you might have to search a bit.

Hi All

Thanks.

Karen
Old Aug 11th 2006, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

oldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really niceoldgit is just really nice

Hi All

Thanks.

Karen
Hi Colebecks
Sorry i seem to have replied three times.The first two froze on me so I thought they had not been transmitted
I hate computers or maybe it was just " rural electricity" in Tasmania
Cheers Oldgit
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldgit
Hi Colebecks
Re "RURAL"
Your next question is " where does the water come from" Mains,rainwater tank, spring, and commonsense conserved, will it last all year round. You would ask anyway wouldn't you....
All the best to you
Oldgit
Rural doesn't have to be without infrastructure. A term often heard in Australia is 'semi-rural' - this is basically rural with infrastructure. Being on septic and/or rain tanks is not necessarily the be all and end all if you have the storage capacity and supply....but you need to consider it.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Rural doesn't have to be without infrastructure. A term often heard in Australia is 'semi-rural' - this is basically rural with infrastructure. Being on septic and/or rain tanks is not necessarily the be all and end all if you have the storage capacity and supply....but you need to consider it.
I guess we're semi-rural & are on septic tanks & bottled gas but we also have 24Mb ADSL2+ internet. Within 2 kms we have pubs, banks, supermarkets, take-aways, post office, retaurants. Best of both worlds really.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I guess we're semi-rural & are on septic tanks & bottled gas but we also have 24Mb ADSL2+ internet. Within 2 kms we have pubs, banks, supermarkets, take-aways, post office, retaurants. Best of both worlds really.
Same same. (Sorry I have a 10 month old daughter).

Love it. Sounds like your area is like ours. We do have mains water though.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:52 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks.

Karen
I have for the last three months, been dragging my family around all the rural areas hunting high and low for acreage properties.

There are definately alot of things to take into consideration when going rural as someone else said. what jobs do you do ? Do you want acreage or just a community feel, mixture ? what price would you be happy to pay up to for house ?

Our rural (Gabbadah - North) will mean that the kids have to get the school bus at 7.38 in the morning to get to gingin school (which is a Primary through to senior) and the bus will then drop them back for 3.45, I'm sure I will end up driving them each day once the novelty of the bus wears off, so petrol is a big one to budget for as my other half will be commuting each day to work and it is 82km to perth from where we are (he says its totally worth it )

We have bore water and also have a tank. We will be 10kms from beach but are also surrounded by farmland and national park so we, I feel, have found the best of both worlds that suits us all as a young family. There are also other young families in the community so the kids won't feel lonely which I did consider as one of the top priorities as believe me, rural here can REALLY mean rural and didn't want to cut us all off completely from civilisation

Anyway, if you want to share a few more details (or PM me) I would be happy to help you regarding areas in the north
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you all for your replies.

Semi-rural sounds just about right - don't want to be too far away from shops, the kids' friends, neighbours.....the 21st century, etc etc.

As long as we can have a bit of land to build a pool and have running around space for the kids that's what we're looking for.

If anyone has 5 mins to list a few semi-rural areas for me to take a peep at on real estate sites I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

As you say, jobs will be a main factor. I'm a special needs teacher so I'm hoping to slot into that again, so where there are schools (hopefully) they'll be a job for me - I'm also a complementary therapist and would like to eventually set up something from home so I wouldn't want to be too far out as my only clients would be the wildlife which could cause no end of problems such as just how much do you charge a koala for a foot massage?

Talking of wildlife, hubby wants a career change, maybe going back to TAFE to retrain (again would need to be near enough to civilisation to get to a college), but he's not entirely sure what he wants to do yet, which unsettles me
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:00 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you all for your replies.

Semi-rural sounds just about right - don't want to be too far away from shops, the kids' friends, neighbours.....the 21st century, etc etc.

As long as we can have a bit of land to build a pool and have running around space for the kids that's what we're looking for.

If anyone has 5 mins to list a few semi-rural areas for me to take a peep at on real estate sites I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

As you say, jobs will be a main factor. I'm a special needs teacher so I'm hoping to slot into that again, so where there are schools (hopefully) they'll be a job for me - I'm also a complementary therapist and would like to eventually set up something from home so I wouldn't want to be too far out as my only clients would be the wildlife which could cause no end of problems such as just how much do you charge a koala for a foot massage?

Talking of wildlife, hubby wants a career change, maybe going back to TAFE to retrain (again would need to be near enough to civilisation to get to a college), but he's not entirely sure what he wants to do yet, which unsettles me
Have a look at Kalamunda and surrounds up in the hills, east of Perth. Its 35-40 minutes from Perth (out of rush hour), but has the feel of being more rurual. The ruralness is easy to find beyond Kalamunda. Roleystone, Mundaring, Pickering Brook, etc etc etc. I think the hills has a more complementary feel to it anyway!! That, and Freo of course. Good luck and happy searching.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:46 am
Banned

kite-surfer is a jewel in the roughkite-surfer is a jewel in the roughkite-surfer is a jewel in the roughkite-surfer is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

we live 180 north of Perth (Dandaragan)

At first we thought it was in the middle of nowhere - but its 2 hours from perth and 1 hour from the beach.

Funny people thinking the hills is rural - it is rural density for England but not Australia.

Here is our pics from This area: Our blog

G
Old Aug 11th 2006, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

Hi, Have you thought about York,its about 1 hour from Perth city,and blocks start from $110k for quarter of a acre, so dead cheap.
sue
Old Aug 11th 2006, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

I know that there is a semi-rural hidden estate not far from Baldivis in Wellard, which is not to be confused with the new Wellard Village. It is called Homestead Ridge and all the blocks are of at least half an acre or more. Very tree lined and kept as a bush setting. Very few people know it is there, yet it is only about 10-15km from Rockingham, schools, and beach.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.