Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

oz sims cards can i buy here?

oz sims cards can i buy here?

Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:38 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold
Default oz sims cards can i buy here?

hi does anyone know how to get hold of an oz payg sim card from uk? So i know we have a phone number before we go? ta x
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: oz sims cards can i buy here?

Dont worry about it!!

You can get one the morning you arrive or still use your uk one. I have a UK Blackberry and havent even had to change my numbers. Its roaming from Orangs to Optus and costa me 1p per second I think. Same price to text from uk or oz I think too...
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by justsarah
Dont worry about it!!

You can get one the morning you arrive or still use your uk one. I have a UK Blackberry and havent even had to change my numbers. Its roaming from Orangs to Optus and costa me 1p per second I think. Same price to text from uk or oz I think too...
Are you sure? I cant see that, are u on Orange PAYG or Contract?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wats123
Are you sure? I cant see that, are u on Orange PAYG or Contract?
My Orange PAYG sim still works in Aus OK, usually picks up the Optus network.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by justsarah
Dont worry about it!!

Hello, I've just had a look here and it looks quite expensive to roam. I'd recommend getting a Oz PAYG sim if you can before you go etc. At least you can give everyone your number befor you leave.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
hi does anyone know how to get hold of an oz payg sim card from uk? So i know we have a phone number before we go? ta x
Ebay
www.gosim
www.oo44
Aiport on arrival
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Hello, I've just had a look here and it looks quite expensive to roam. I'd recommend getting a Oz PAYG sim if you can before you go etc. At least you can give everyone your number befor you leave.

Or just text them it once you arrive!! I had SO many other things to worry about before i left... packing, shipping etc the phone really wasnt near the top of the list!!

Contract for me BTW..
Old Apr 18th 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

AberJazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I've been in Sydney a week now and picked up a sim and a mobile for $60 with $130 dollars credit, and was connect within minutes of arriving.

D
Vodafone do some great deals - pay $49 dollars and they will give you $310 credit which lasts a month, here is the link

http://store.vodafone.com.au/plan_de...=3&lv2=0&lv3=0

I actually ended up buying a phone and a sim with a package as it worked out cheaper. If you want to just buy a sim its $10. If you really want a sim before you come out, drop me a pm and I can pick one up for you and send it in the post back to the uk

Take it easy

AberJazz
Old Apr 18th 2008, 1:04 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a payg sim on virgin/vodaphone etc within hours of getting here, and just text the number back to the UK.

Or you can buy Oz sims from UK ebay.

Virgin details here.

http://virginmobile.com.au/rates/prepaid_compare.html

Or you can go on a monthly contract ( 24 months ) and get better call rates if you use your phone lots.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by datamile
You can get a payg sim on virgin/vodaphone etc within hours of getting here, and just text the number back to the UK.

Virgin details here.

Or you can go on a monthly contract ( 24 months ) and get better call rates if you use your phone lots.
I bought some sim cards from Ebay Australia, there is plenty on there and had em sent back to the UK. However I forgot them and ended up popping down to Woolies and getting 2 of them with consecutive numbers for $2.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My Orange PAYG sim still works in Aus OK, usually picks up the Optus network.
I'm not saying it wouldn't work, just saying if your using your Orange UK phone then its not going to cost 1p for phone calls using you UK sim card.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

I'm not saying it wouldn't work, just saying if your using your Orange UK phone then its not going to cost 1p for phone calls using you UK sim card.
Even with international roaming etc last time I used my UK phone in OZ I needed to be picked up off the floor when I got my bill, thats why I bought some PAYG Vodafone AU sim cards. Worked out much cheaper.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philnorris
Even with international roaming etc last time I used my UK phone in OZ I needed to be picked up off the floor when I got my bill, thats why I bought some PAYG Vodafone AU sim cards. Worked out much cheaper.
Yep, well if your roaming its a rip off, you pay to make and receive calls !

I'll be transferring my handset onto PAYG, unlocking it and then getting an Oz Payg sim card before I leave for Oz.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:54 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by datamile

Virgin details here.

ty thanks hun x