Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rockhampton - What is it really like?

Rockhampton - What is it really like?

Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

_Australia will become famous soon enough
Default Rockhampton - What is it really like?

Hello everyone!

Im thinking of coming over to Australia next year on a student visa. One of the places where i can get a placement is Rockhampton. I've never visited this city before. Ive heard mixed reviews about it. Some say its a classic Queensland town with a lot of things to do and one of a kind (in a good way), But ive also heard its Redneck hot hell hole (possibly due to where the mountain sits, it blocks off the sea breeze), the town hasnt gone into the future and you should never visit.

I was wondering if anyone lives here or has visited and there opinions on the place

Thanks
Andrew
Old Jun 4th 2008, 11:01 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rockhampton - What is it really like?

only visited so not really an informed view, but they do say 1st impressions count..... we stayed in a pub by the bridge and it was ok, but there was nothing to do. I do recall a group of Aboriginal girls fighting and getting naked while punching the crap out of each other. We didn't hang around..... And things closed early so little to do, but as I say I was a tourist and it was 5 years ago so limited in what I saw and it may changed. We did go to Yeppon Beach by bus and had a few cocktails in a bar which was nice.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:33 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rockhampton - What is it really like?

Originally Posted by _Australia
Hello everyone!

Im thinking of coming over to Australia next year on a student visa. One of the places where i can get a placement is Rockhampton. I've never visited this city before. Ive heard mixed reviews about it. Some say its a classic Queensland town with a lot of things to do and one of a kind (in a good way), But ive also heard its Redneck hot hell hole (possibly due to where the mountain sits, it blocks off the sea breeze), the town hasnt gone into the future and you should never visit.

I was wondering if anyone lives here or has visited and there opinions on the place

Thanks
Andrew
iv been to stay on campus at the CQUniversity the campus is great i loved it. the town itself is hot in the summer theres plenty of shops and there seemed plenty of nightlife for students. its not a modern town or city its a large country town very agricultural and cant be compared to brissy or anywhere touristy. theres a lot of people that commute from yeppoon which is on the coast into rockhampton which is where i would live if i had to be a internal student at rocky