Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rio Tinto looking to recruit 6000 workers

Rio Tinto looking to recruit 6000 workers

Old Apr 30th 2012, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rio Tinto looking to recruit 6000 workers

Originally Posted by verystormy

Please please please. Also think long and hard about what working on a mine site means. Around 40% quit very quickly for a reason.
I agree, my town is full of mine worker families, and its divorce central. Hubby is a teacher and every other kid is from a seperated or divorced family.

Money is good, but home life can suffer.

Gems
Old Apr 30th 2012, 2:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gems
I agree, my town is full of mine worker families, and its divorce central. Hubby is a teacher and every other kid is from a seperated or divorced family.

Money is good, but home life can suffer.

Gems
Yup. I had to do a research project for uni last semester and I was assigned FIFO workers in the Pilbarra and their mental health issues. Divorce, depression & loneliness and alcohol abuse were very high on the list of issues they face.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by keel
I've got a mate who moved over from the UK 2 weeks ago. He's applied for Rio's and has already been knocked back.

He's come over as a painter and decorator on a skilled visa. He also has 20 years experience as a heavy goods driver and a couple of tours in Iraq as bomb disposal. You'd think they'd at least take a 2nd look at him.

I'm wondering if this "6000" workers thing is just another gimick by the big miners to get foreign labour in when they've "exhausted" local sources.

Keel
Why would Rio Tinto want a painter/decorator though?
Old Apr 30th 2012, 4:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The fact is that the vast majority of people they want are skilled and experienced. There is both a limited amount of work for non skilled / experienced staff and no shortage of people in Oz applying for that work.

I would echo this. I am a well qualified engineer with many years experience in fluid mechanics, yet I can't get a look into the mining industry as they really aren't looking for theoreticians like me. Not even for pipeline modelling work.

You really do need the correct blend of qualifications and experience, else there's very little chance.

S
Old Apr 30th 2012, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yup. I had to do a research project for uni last semester and I was assigned FIFO workers in the Pilbarra and their mental health issues. Divorce, depression & loneliness and alcohol abuse were very high on the list of issues they face.
And, the pay isn't always as good as some might think. Slightly above average rates, just lots and lots of hours
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
And, the pay isn't always as good as some might think. Slightly above average rates, just lots and lots of hours
Couldn't agree more. Everyone thinks they will be earning mega bucks. The reality is about the same as a laborer in the city. Just more hours as it is 12 hours a day 7 days a week
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:29 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I would echo this. I am a well qualified engineer with many years experience in fluid mechanics

S
I bet you say that to all the girls
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:52 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
I bet you say that to all the girls

Nah - I gave up on that in my first year... I normally lure them in with my Dalek impression now

S
Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:06 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you seen the state of the walls in those mines? Shocking dear. Could do with a dash of colour, some lighting and maybe you could make it fabulous dear.
Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt very much that they'd need decorators but he has a range of experience across the board. The majority of the work (as I understand it) is for semi skilled workers for which he would be more than suitable for.

A common theme for getting knocked back for working in the mines is that they have no mining experience. As soon as they go through this process of rejecting everyone then they will get foreign workers in with no qualifications and very little mining experience.

I believe it's all a con. I recon the government should review these candidates that the big companies reject if they then go on to employ 457 candidates. If they take on 100 457 workers then they should take on a similar number of those that have just missed the grade.

I know this will be nearly impossible to police but it would be nice to see.

Keel
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe at the same time they could police that people who were granted a visa on the basis of their painting & decorating skills don't go looking for work in the mines within 2 weeks of arriving? Jus sayin.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Maybe at the same time they could police that people who were granted a visa on the basis of their painting & decorating skills don't go looking for work in the mines within 2 weeks of arriving? Jus sayin.
Never thought of that.
Old May 1st 2012, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

I doubt very much that they'd need decorators but he has a range of experience across the board. The majority of the work (as I understand it) is for semi skilled workers for which he would be more than suitable for.

A common theme for getting knocked back for working in the mines is that they have no mining experience. As soon as they go through this process of rejecting everyone then they will get foreign workers in with no qualifications and very little mining experience.

I believe it's all a con. I recon the government should review these candidates that the big companies reject if they then go on to employ 457 candidates. If they take on 100 457 workers then they should take on a similar number of those that have just missed the grade.

Keel
That's just bollocks spread by the unions. There are no unskilled foreign workers in the mines, the unskilled jobs go to Aussies, and there are very few of them, most mining jobs require some sort of trade. The 'foreign' guys employed are by definition of a 457 visa, skilled temporary migrants.
Old May 1st 2012, 4:09 am
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Nah - I gave up on that in my first year... I normally lure them in with my Dalek impression now

S

You will be irresistible after a shopping visit to think geek then

http:/http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/whereisit.cgi?t=Dalek/
Old May 1st 2012, 5:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That's just bollocks spread by the unions. There are no unskilled foreign workers in the mines, the unskilled jobs go to Aussies, and there are very few of them, most mining jobs require some sort of trade. The 'foreign' guys employed are by definition of a 457 visa, skilled temporary migrants.
Yep, that's how it is. Even most of the guys on 457 on mine sites have some ultra-critical skills that are required, eg at Brockman, there are guys from Komatsu working on the electronics and hydraulics of their fleet of ore trucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.