Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Richmond - Australian Home Away

Richmond - Australian Home Away

Old May 16th 2007, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richmond - Australian Home Away

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Now I'm homesick
Old May 16th 2007, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

JD Mower is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, Southampton? My brother (Melbourne born and bred) is a Derby County supporter co-incidentally! I watched all last night's game (I'm in Scotland, married a Scot).

You are on the CBD side of Richmond and north of MCG/RFC there so property is generally going to be quite expensive and it will be popular with professional people. From memory it will be quite a good area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Ri...ion,_Melbourne

OzTennis
Thanks again Oz Tennis. Southampton is indeed my team, so not feeling too happy this morning! I cannot believe that someone Melbourne born and bred would CHOOSE to support that bunch of hit and hope journeymen! (sorry still bitter)
Old May 16th 2007, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JD Mower
Thanks again Oz Tennis. Southampton is indeed my team, so not feeling too happy this morning! I cannot believe that someone Melbourne born and bred would CHOOSE to support that bunch of hit and hope journeymen! (sorry still bitter)
Long story, short version - my brother and myself used to watch Match of the Day programmes in Australia and we each adopted a team - he DCFC, me NUFC. He's followed them for a long time, we're talking back in the days of the Baseball Ground and jaunts into Europe! He's not as keen on soccer (football) now - says too many foreigners in all the teams! After moving here I've followed this team on their meteoric rise up the Scottish leagues, culminating in SPL next season:

http://www.gretnafootballclub.co.uk/index.php

I know you don't want to hear this but I think justice was done last night. I'm not a great fan of play-offs, Derby earned the right over the whole season to go up with Sunderland and Birmingham. I appreciate they are thrilling, culminate in a Wembley final and all that but for example, in Scotland last year Gretna won automatic promotion from Div 2 to Div 1 (we've had 3 successive promotions incidentally, the first British team to do so) and Partick Thistle who finished 4th in the league won the play-offs.

Can you tell me why Burley allowed the guy who conceded the own goal to take the first pen? As soon as I saw him stepping up I said 'mistake' (wrong mental state to take a pen)!

Do you know if Burley still has his (alleged) problem with 'bending the elbow too much' which (allegedly) has led to his dismissal at Hearts and Derby?

My wife and I had a lovely trip to Hampden for the Scottish Cup final vs Hearts last year but Burley had moved on by then to Saints.

OzTennis
Old May 16th 2007, 1:00 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Long story, short version - my brother and myself used to watch Match of the Day programmes in Australia and we each adopted a team - he DCFC, me NUFC. He's followed them for a long time, we're talking back in the days of the Baseball Ground and jaunts into Europe! He's not as keen on soccer (football) now - says too many foreigners in all the teams! After moving here I've followed this team on their meteoric rise up the Scottish leagues, culminating in SPL next season:

http://www.gretnafootballclub.co.uk/index.php

I know you don't want to hear this but I think justice was done last night. I'm not a great fan of play-offs, Derby earned the right over the whole season to go up with Sunderland and Birmingham. I appreciate they are thrilling, culminate in a Wembley final and all that but for example, in Scotland last year Gretna won automatic promotion from Div 2 to Div 1 (we've had 3 successive promotions incidentally, the first British team to do so) and Partick Thistle who finished 4th in the league won the play-offs.

Can you tell me why Burley allowed the guy who conceded the own goal to take the first pen? As soon as I saw him stepping up I said 'mistake' (wrong mental state to take a pen)!

Do you know if Burley still have his (alleged) problem with 'bending the elbow too much' which (allegedly) has led to his dismissal at Hearts and Derby?

My wife and I had a lovely trip to Hampden for the Scottish Cup final vs Hearts last year but Burley had moved on by then to Saints.

OzTennis
This stuff is literary Diazepam....go on OT tell us more....I haven't slept in weeks. Who do you fancy in the Rounders World Cup?:
Old May 16th 2007, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Do you know if Burley still has his (alleged) problem with 'bending the elbow too much' which (allegedly) has led to his dismissal at Hearts and Derby?

OzTennis

I agree with you about the playoffs, they should definitely just let the top 3 up. As for Burley's problems (allegedly) it seems nothing has changed lately (again allegedly)!!!! As for letting Leon Best take the 1st penalty, seemed a strange decision at the time. I think Burley might have thought he was related to George!

Getting back on subject before I get a life ban from this site can anyone tell me what Elwood is like as a suburb? I might have the opportunity of an apartment there also!
Old May 16th 2007, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by busterboy
This stuff is literary Diazepam....go on OT tell us more....I haven't slept in weeks. Who do you fancy in the Rounders World Cup?:
Don't worry busterboy, I have changed the subject for you!!!!
Old May 16th 2007, 1:12 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry busterboy, I have changed the subject for you!!!!

PHEW!!
Old May 16th 2007, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I thought 2 afficionados were talking to each other? Just ignore it if it isn't your cuppa. I don't go into all the numerous threads full of verbal diarrhoea on BE's and post similar messages. Lighten up pal and leave us to Richmond and footy if that's what we want to 'talk' about! (confirms why I don't bother much with BE's these days and stick to BV's).

OzTennis
Old May 16th 2007, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree with you about the playoffs, they should definitely just let the top 3 up. As for Burley's problems (allegedly) it seems nothing has changed lately (again allegedly)!!!! As for letting Leon Best take the 1st penalty, seemed a strange decision at the time. I think Burley might have thought he was related to George!

Getting back on subject before I get a life ban from this site can anyone tell me what Elwood is like as a suburb? I might have the opportunity of an apartment there also!
Elwood - seaside, further out than Richmond obviously, generally a good suburb, closer to the water the better (and more expensive), public transport OK but not as good as Richmond, close to the action at St Kilda, very busy at times, particularly Beach Rd, quite expensive property. I wouldn't have any qualms about choosing Elwood really.

OzTennis
Old May 16th 2007, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If I may be permitted to address the first part, how can a team with Best and Pele lose?

OzTennis
Old May 16th 2007, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

If I may be permitted to address the first part, how can a team with Best and Pele lose?

OzTennis
You see the problem is, they were both signed because of their names, not because of their football ability!! I am thinking of changing my name to Ronaldinho to see if I can get a trial!

Watching the Saints last night was like watching Brazil. Playing in yellow with Pele running the show.

Thanks for the advice about Elwood by the way - sounds quite tempting too!!
Old May 16th 2007, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You see the problem is, they were both signed because of their names, not because of their football ability!! I am thinking of changing my name to Ronaldinho to see if I can get a trial!

Watching the Saints last night was like watching Brazil. Playing in yellow with Pele running the show.

Thanks for the advice about Elwood by the way - sounds quite tempting too!!
My memory might be playing tricks but I'm thinking vaguely about a famous players brother or relative who got a trial and an subs appearance on the strength of his name - wasn't it S'oton again??

Yep, that part of Richmond or Elwood - 'no worries'. At a guess I'd say schools in the Elwood area might be more preferable than those around Richmond for casual teaching work. Richmond melts into the likes of Collingwood and Fitzroy. You'd get the children of a right mixture of nationalities and backgrounds ('New Age', 'Yuppies', etc) north of Richmond.

OzTennis
Old May 16th 2007, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

My memory might be playing tricks but I'm thinking vaguely about a famous players brother or relative who got a trial and an subs appearance on the strength of his name - wasn't it S'oton again??

OzTennis
Ali Dia is who you are thinking of! His agent phoned up Graeme Souness (manager at the time) and claimed that he was George Weah (world footballer of the year at the time). He pretended that Ali was his cousin. For some reason Ali ended up playing for the first team. I was at the game and he was terrrible! Nearly scored though which would have been good.He lasted about 10 minutes before being substituted. Those were the days
Old May 17th 2007, 2:10 am
A rather curious boy

Sorry, I thought 2 afficionados were talking to each other? Just ignore it if it isn't your cuppa. I don't go into all the numerous threads full of verbal diarrhoea on BE's and post similar messages. Lighten up pal and leave us to Richmond and footy if that's what we want to 'talk' about! (confirms why I don't bother much with BE's these days and stick to BV's).

OzTennis
Lighten up? Rich....! My comment was tongue in cheek as was my subsequent remark. The original poster understood that. It's not like you to get so sensitive.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lighten up? Rich....! My comment was tongue in cheek as was my subsequent remark. The original poster understood that. It's not like you to get so sensitive.
True - haven't looked at BE's in yonks, misunderstood your motives and assumed it was confirmation of why I haven't looked at BE's in yonks! Please accept my unreserved apology.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.