Retirement Visa

Old Dec 15th 2003, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

davidpedley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retirement Visa

Does anyone have any experience of retirement to Oz.

I have looked at the info on various sites/conditions of entry and have the forms etc. - been on holiday a few times

I am interested in views from people who have actually done it - likes/dislikes etc.

Also is it worth using an agent?

I am just 55 my wife is 57 - we would probably choose Brisbane as my wife's younger sister lives there

Regards

David
Old Dec 15th 2003, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

My parents are moving to Brisbane with us on a retirement visa in feb (ages 50 and 60).
All I can tell you so far is that the visa application was straight forward, they didnt use an agent, it was also very quick as London deal with this visa type.
Will get them to post when we arrive, any questions in the meantime about application process, please send me a pm and I'll ask them!

Good luck

Michaela
Old Dec 15th 2003, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Default Retirement Visa

Originally posted by mcmercer
Hello,

My parents are moving to Brisbane with us on a retirement visa in feb (ages 50 and 60).
All I can tell you so far is that the visa application was straight forward, they didnt use an agent, it was also very quick as London deal with this visa type.
Will get them to post when we arrive, any questions in the meantime about application process, please send me a pm and I'll ask them!

Good luck

Michaela
OK - Thanks Michaela I trust everything goes smoothly for you.

Regards David
Old Dec 16th 2003, 7:51 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement Visa

David,

Front end loaded applications for Retirement visas (ie lodged with the results of police reports and medicals) are being processed very quickly in London these days - about 4 weeks is becoming the norm.

This can create problems if you are planning to sell your main residence to satisfy the financial requirements for the grant of a Retirement visa, as the High Commission are now usually only allowing 49 days to demonstrate you have funds available in liquid form. This said, an extension of the 49 days can be applied for, but doesn't have to be given.

In this situation we therefore recommend that intending Retirement visa applicants should tee-up the marketing of their property for sale at an early stage, usually at the same time as the visa application is lodged.

There is more commentary on this issue here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=277

I guess this doesn't answer your questions directly, but hopefully gives you a flavour of some of the practical and timing issues.

Best regards.

Originally posted by davidpedley
Does anyone have any experience of retirement to Oz.

I have looked at the info on various sites/conditions of entry and have the forms etc. - been on holiday a few times

I am interested in views from people who have actually done it - likes/dislikes etc.

Also is it worth using an agent?

I am just 55 my wife is 57 - we would probably choose Brisbane as my wife's younger sister lives there

Regards

David
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:14 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by Alan Collett
David,

Front end loaded applications for Retirement visas (ie lodged with the results of police reports and medicals) are being processed very quickly in London these days - about 4 weeks is becoming the norm.

This can create problems if you are planning to sell your main residence to satisfy the financial requirements for the grant of a Retirement visa, as the High Commission are now usually only allowing 49 days to demonstrate you have funds available in liquid form. This said, an extension of the 49 days can be applied for, but doesn't have to be given.

In this situation we therefore recommend that intending Retirement visa applicants should tee-up the marketing of their property for sale at an early stage, usually at the same time as the visa application is lodged.

There is more commentary on this issue here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=277

I guess this doesn't answer your questions directly, but hopefully gives you a flavour of some of the practical and timing issues.

Best regards.

David,

My parents experienced this problem as Alan has described, they sent copies of letters from the estate agent showing they were actively marketing the house and were subsequently given an extension. One area they wish they'd researched earlier was the health insurance, London need to see evidence of payment for a policy before granting a visa, this took longer to sort for my parents than any other part of the application.

Good luck,

Michaela
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:24 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

On the health cover issue, we can usually obtain confirmation of cover quickly through Australian Unity - for example I haved received application forms in the post from a 410 visa client today (I am in the UK at present), which I am copying to my contact at AusUnity in Melbourne by email this morning.

All being well I will have faxed confirmation of private health cover and the payment of premiums by the end of this week, which is usually sufficient for the case officer in London who is handling our client's Retirement visa application.

Best regards.

David,

My parents experienced this problem as Alan has described, they sent copies of letters from the estate agent showing they were actively marketing the house and were subsequently given an extension. One area they wish they'd researched earlier was the health insurance, London need to see evidence of payment for a policy before granting a visa, this took longer to sort for my parents than any other part of the application.

Good luck,

Michaela
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:31 am
Account Closed

Alan,

Wish we'd found you or this forum before we got our visas !
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:31 am
Just Joined

David,

Good luck,

Michaela

Thanks to both you and Alan for the advice.

Regards David