Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Reserve Bank has increased interest rates...

The Reserve Bank has increased interest rates...

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Reserve Bank has increased interest rates...

Originally Posted by freebo
Did anyone see the channel 9 news tonight, they gave CB a right old slagging off for raising rates by 0.45% (words like 'greedy banks ripping more cash out of your pocket').

What the banks are saying in their defence is that its because they are having trouble raising funds for home lending, which is strange when Australia has among the highest rates in the world, wonder why they have trouble securing money to lend on property, can anyone guess?
Maybe there's not enough cash in Australia and they have to raise cash on the international markets where a lot of banks seem unwilling to lend to other banks.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Westpac raised rates 20 basis points above RBA about 12 months ago. Same old press releases.
I got this wiped form my mortgage thought so no drama. Negotiate with CBA - I bet they will do deals.

It will slow markets for sure, but property crash? Ha, lets be sensible!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Yeah and i'll be visiting my closest Mortgage Choice tomorrow to see if possible to leave the Conbank ...

Yeah sounds bloody good, I owe £2,500 to someone in the UK. Just a pity I can't afford it at this present stage of my life ...

If i'm generalising do I HAVE to stipulate now? ...

I will be voting with my feet too.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 1:43 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I will be voting with my feet too.
me too.

They provide great service but are tight as a ducks arse and greedy, even by banking standards
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 11:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So it looks like the big pay rise me and my colleagues got a few weeks ago is the reason that you are all now paying more for your homes.

Shit happens.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:10 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
So it looks like the big pay rise me and my colleagues got a few weeks ago is the reason that you are all now paying more for your homes.

Shit happens.
Certainly looks that way ... every loss produces a winner!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly looks that way ... every loss produces a winner!
Don't fight them, join them!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Shit happens.
I love it when you feel the need to slap your big dick on the table on British Expats Amazulu! LOL

Shit sure does happen! All these wage rises are inflationary but unfortunately it isn't flowing through house prices in Perth ........ ahh diddums....

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/tw...ml?autostart=1

Perth property prices are unlikely to improve in the next two years as yet another interest rate rise adds to already tough conditions, analysts have said.

In the aftermath of yesterday's Reserve Bank decision to increase the official cash rate 0.25 of a percentage point, to 4.75 per cent, property industry figures have reacted with dismay.

Real Estate Institute of WA president Alan Bourke slammed the "shock" decision.

Advertisement: Story continues below "In trying to quell the mining industry they've hurt everyone else," Mr Bourke said.

"Certainly the last thing sellers or buyers, or retailers for that matter, needed was an interest rate rise. It's a very fragile market out there at the moment."

The Perth housing market was already oversupplied by 30 per cent, with prices sluggish.
"Nobody wins in this situation," Mr Bourke said.

"Not the home-seller sitting in the market waiting to sell a property, maybe already having reduced the price and having a long lead time; not the buyer, who's saying it's going to cost them more; and not anyone with a mortgage who's going to pay more each month."

It was likely to be between one and two years before there was "any form of price growth" in the Perth market, Mr Bourke said.

Apart from interest rate rises, factors such as sluggish population growth were also dampening demand.

"It's a bit of a perfect storm unfortunately," he said.

Those looking to sell "should not build any margin into negotiations", while buyers who were cashed-up or needed small mortgages were in the driver's seat.

Head of the Real Estate Institute of Australia, WA agent David Airey, said the "RBA has played Scrooge to homeowners in the lead up to Christmas".

"As well as seeing a softening of the housing market, we are experiencing a very concerning and continuing decline in housing affordability," he said.

"This rate increase will cause undue mortgage stress for home owners at a time of the year that is characterised by hardship for struggling families."

While the Commonwealth Bank reacted to the RBA decision by hiking its own interest rates by almost double the increase in the cash rate, a spokesman for subsidiary Bankwest - WA's largest home lender - said it was still reviewing its rates.

However, Bankwest has traditionally followed the lead of its owner since being bought by the CBA in 2008.

Urban Development Institute of WA chief executive Debra Goostrey said the latest RBA rate rise was a threat to the property industry in the state and she called for a hold on further increases until at least early next year "to foster consumer confidence".
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:48 am
Account Closed

Everyone I've spoke to today assures me the other 3 will match the conbank very soon, possibly any day!

If I jump ship i'm liable for the many thousand dollar mortgage insurance AGAIN!!

Better the devil you know I wonder ...
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by pomtastic
I love it when you feel the need to slap your big dick on the table on British Expats Amazulu! LOL

Shit sure does happen! All these wage rises are inflationary but unfortunately it isn't flowing through house prices in Perth ........ ahh diddums....

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/tw...ml?autostart=1
Dude, I was taking the piss. Glenn Stevens was saying that the mining industry was causing inflationary pressures in the economy - so I thought I would have some fun with that.

I really, really could not give a shit about Perth house prices - I leave all of BE's resident property 'experts' to indaba over them.

I have a house. I have virtually no mortgage. I'm sorted. All the rest is details.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:31 pm
ABCDiamond

Just like everyone said it wouldn't ...
I was expecting both, the Courier Mail said so
news.com.au October 21, 2010 3:10pm
  • Rates rise expected next month
  • Banks adding extra rises

In that same newspaper, Joe Hockey suggested Parliament could get involved to keep the banks in line, but Treasurer Wayne Swan labelled that as an "absurd, lunatic fringe" idea.

However, today, Wayne Swan is reported as saying:
TREASURER Wayne Swan has warned the big banks the Federal Government will implement reforms to keep them honest.
Confusing or what

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 12:37 pm
ABCDiamond

Everyone I've spoke to today assures me the other 3 will match the conbank very soon, possibly any day!

If I jump ship i'm liable for the many thousand dollar mortgage insurance AGAIN!!

Better the devil you know I wonder ...
I'd stick with the CBA, with its lower rates if I was you.
Even with only a 0.25% rise the ANZ and Westpac, who are not copping any flac, are higher than the CBA, who appears to be the devil for playing catchup.

The standard variable interest rate on mortgages offered by the big four banks currently stands at:
  • 7.51 per cent at Westpac
  • 7.41 per cent at ANZ
  • 7.36 per cent at CBA
  • 7.24 per cent at NAB
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/business/...interest-rates

Commonwealth Bank was the first of the big four to pass on the RBA rate rise, with National Australia Bank and Westpac also matching the central bank's rate rise on Tuesday. ANZ said its standard variable rate (SVR) on home loans will increase by 25 basis points to 7.41 per cent, the second highest of the big four banks.

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I was expecting both, the Courier Mail said so
Awwww don't you start too! ...

I don't take much notice with it all really ... ... but I woke and see some joker on the TV in the morn saying how it won't. I listen to the radio on the way into work, it won't! I even have a chat with 1st client for the day about how it won't (he explained ... whooosh!) ... and to me it was like 100% on the day said it won't!

Tis all I was sayin!!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I'd stick with the CBA, with its lower rates if I was you.
Even with only a 0.25% rise the ANZ and Westpac, who are not copping any flac, are higher than the CBA, who appears to be the devil for playing catchup.

The standard variable interest rate on mortgages offered by the big four banks currently stands at:
  • 7.51 per cent at Westpac
  • 7.41 per cent at ANZ
  • 7.36 per cent at CBA
  • 7.24 per cent at NAB
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/business/...interest-rates
Well what I DO know is YOU know a damn sight more than me, so if you say stay, then worth considering.

Not that i'm as keen to now I know the $8,000 odd I paid for a mortgage insurance policy is non refundable, and will need to pay again as I'm not putting down 20+%

I have a $17k loan that drags on, some will know the type, and costs me $500pm. If the conbank would consolidate i'd be $100's in, but they won't ... house prices haven't changed much in the year since I bought.

A brokers gettin a valuation done over next 48 hours and gonna try and do what I say above with the conbank. He seems to think if a goer he'll also be able to get my 'Wealth Package' discount raised from .5% to .6 or .7 somehow ... ... but yeah won't complain if so.

The funny bit about it all is when I was speaking to the conbank this arvo about a final figure to close the account, the woman almost didn't give a toss ... I joked with her about how this is prob the 100th call today after yesterday and yeah very flippant about it all.

Still, if the info about conbank having 30 or 40% of Australia's mortgages under it's belt () ... why would it!
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 1:32 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Im with ANZ and we overpay on our mortgage - hoping to pay it off early, although we are absorbing the interest rate rises just fine, it upsets me to think our little bit of savings will dwindle considerably while Mr ANZ enjoys its profits.

Shit I would love to win some money and say 'here you go, stick your mortgage'
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Watching the big banks raise their rates is like watching the contract stage of Bridge (the card game).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.