Reload this Page >

Request for VCAT hearing recording on Audio CD

Request for VCAT hearing recording on Audio CD

Old May 12th 2014, 3:48 am
what's not to like about

knav2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Request for VCAT hearing recording on Audio CD

Dear Forum,

Anyone used the request for audio CD of VCAT hearing service. I downloaded the form, contacted some CD suppliers listed on the form, then selected a supplier, filled in the form, signed, dated it, sent it to [email protected]

I sent the completed form 7 working days ago (30/04/2014). The information sheet that comes with the form says allow "up to" 10 working days and to contact the nominated supplier in the first instance.

Just wondering if it usually takes this long. My hearing back in November 2013 was for about 20-30 minutes. I went to VCAT to apply for a restraining order/injunction against my former landlord <snipped>. VCAT dismissed the application for a restraining order as I had already been evicted. But VCAT adjourned the hearing to a later date amending the claim I made for compensation to include a claim under both the residential tenancies act 1997 and Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012.

I need the hearing sound recording CD before going ahead with the hearing for the compensation claim.

any tips/experiences on this would be appreciated.

knav2013

Last edited by BEVS; May 12th 2014 at 4:02 am. Reason: THe query seems fine but I am not OK with your naming the landlord.
Old May 12th 2014, 4:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Request for VCAT hearing recording on Audio CD

knav2013.

Please note that I have snipped your post to remove the company details. However, I have allowed the query in general.

Thank you.
Old May 22nd 2014, 5:35 am
what's not to like about

Originally Posted by knav2013
Dear Forum,

Anyone used the request for audio CD of VCAT hearing service. I downloaded the form, contacted some CD suppliers listed on the form, then selected a supplier, filled in the form, signed, dated it, sent it to [email protected]

I sent the completed form 7 working days ago (30/04/2014). The information sheet that comes with the form says allow "up to" 10 working days and to contact the nominated supplier in the first instance.

Just wondering if it usually takes this long. My hearing back in November 2013 was for about 20-30 minutes. I went to VCAT to apply for a restraining order/injunction against my former landlord <snipped>. VCAT dismissed the application for a restraining order as I had already been evicted. But VCAT adjourned the hearing to a later date amending the claim I made for compensation to include a claim under both the residential tenancies act 1997 and Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012.

I need the hearing sound recording CD before going ahead with the hearing for the compensation claim.

any tips/experiences on this would be appreciated.

knav2013
An update on the VCAT hearing CD recording purchase. Contacted the supplier on the 13/05/2014 and they said the CD had arrived after close of business the day before.

They asked me the date and time of the hearing, then listened to the CD and worked out it’s not the correct CD.

So now, they (the supplier) has to go back to VCAT to ask for the correct case. VCAT has to send the CD to the supplier, the supplier then has to ensure the CD is good and proper (can be played on a computer) and we are able to hear the CD -- it's audible, for when the member was in the room handling (hearing) the case.

Up to now (22/05/2014), it's been 15 business days. Of these I take responsibility for 2 business days, the time taken to confirm that the CD was not the correct CD.

For anyone interested, the cost of the CD for a half-day hearing is 60.50 AUD (including GST). The supplier only produces the CD once payment is made, and can take 7 days from receipt of payment.* Various payment options are available, credit card and direct deposit (the supplier** I used said - send them a copy of the deposit slip to avoid any delays).

I made a payment for $60.00 AUD on 16/05/14 and then for 0.50 AUD on 20/05/14 (because the first payment didn’t cover it), both times in person and by cash.

I will keep you posted on how it goes.

cheers,

knav2013

* - presumably for these two methods. Cheque probably takes longer.
** - no suppliers were named during this post. Put those scissors away. Thank you.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:43 am
what's not to like about

Update on VCAT Hearing Audio CD
---------------------------------------------------

Contacted the supplier on the 27 May 2014 by e-mail to ask if the correct CD had arrived from VCAT.

I asked them to send me one e-mail when the CD arrives and another to say when it will be ready for pick-up from their Melbourne office.

They got back to me on the same day to say they had contacted VCAT twice for a heads-up since I visited their office (16 May 2014) but were unable to get a status report and that they would contact me when they hear from VCAT.

On the 29 May 2014 I get an e-mail from the supplier to say they received the CD and that I would be able to pick it up the next day.

I pick it up from their Office the next day. Note that the audio is in .mp3 format. So you will need an audio player that plays .mp3 files.

One thing about the actual audio I noticed. There is some really foot loose editing. I made some notes at the hearing. Comparing the notes with the audio. Must say, the sequence of the audio is somewhat suspect.

Anyway, the whole process took about a month. Oh!, it helps to note down the time of your hearing and how long it was for, to tell the supplier if their is any mix-up. Probably helps to note down the room number of the hearing also.

Hope your CD request goes much more smoothly than this.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

kerryundertimber is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on who the member is and what they have to hide.

If you want to use it in an upcoming hearing the member will be reluctant to give it to you, and if they do it may be highly edited to cover their backsides. They are blatant and have no fear - being willing to make Dodgy decisions takes you far at VCAT.

Phone VCAT and speak to the recording person. Get her to agree to send it, then send her a follow up email asking for confirmation (paper trail). Although at the end of the day VCAT and its members answer to no one, and if they won't send it there's not much you can do about it.

This is apparently how 'efficient' justice works at VCAT.

Last edited by kerryundertimber; Aug 31st 2014 at 8:35 pm.