Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting a place over there while still in the UK

Renting a place over there while still in the UK

Old Jun 7th 2010, 8:35 am
Enjoying living in Perth

luis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura about
Default Renting a place over there while still in the UK

Hi there,

We are planning to move to Perth in October, and I was thinking about renting a place (a small unit would suffice) over there before we go. Initially we would be are more concerned about location than size, finishings etc.

I know that renting a place without seeing it in person cannot be a good idea, but to leave the UK knowing that we already have a permanent home there would be so reassuring… Not to worry about getting there and getting all worried trying to find a place, to already have a permanent address to apply for things etc. Though I am excited about the move, the whole thing is so stressing that I would do anything I could to make it easier!

I know also that we could rent temporary accommodation but it seems so expensive and, obviously, it would be only temporary and we would have to find some other long-term place anyway.

Has anyone done this before? Would you recommend it? And is it even possible, would estate agents there rent a place to someone who is not in the country yet?

Thanks!
Luis
Old Jun 7th 2010, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Renting a place over there while still in the UK

Have a search on old threads. Agents won't touch you if you are not in Aus.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Agents won't touch you if you are not in Aus.
Yep, and I’m pretty sure it’s actually a requirement that you must view a place before leasing it.

The only option would be to get a holiday let – you can do them online, but they will usually be a lot more expensive than your normal rent.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

People have also found that they rent somewhere without viewing and then find the photos and details bear no resemblance to the property and they are in a total dump that they can't get out of for the term of the rent, even if it's a month that could be 29 days too long. A week in a dump could stuff up the whole move, you could find yourself wanting to go back to the UK immediately - it's happened before.

It's really not worth it. Organise a holiday rental for a few weeks (hotel, holiday apartment etc). You shouldn't have a problem finding a longer term rental once you get here. Most people find something suitable in a couple of weeks.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:21 am
Enjoying living in Perth

luis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies... I guessed that would be the answer but I just wanted to check, you never know...

Another option I was thinking about was to go for a shared accommodation. There are a few available in Gumtree.com.au for instance.

It would not suit everyone and it is far, far from ideal but at least it can be very cheap and it may be possible to arrange before we go (depending on negotiations and some skype calls...)

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:19 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

I have just done this, I'm still in the UK (not for long now I hope) and where we are going suitable large rentals are in short supply; so when one come up we took the opportunity to take it on. I negotiated half rent until we arrive and had no issues with the letting agent or landlord. both sent me photos of the whole property, street and nearby houses and when asked to take photos of specifics (inside cupboards, rooms, bath, shower etc) they were only to pleased. I have paid the rent up front and the deposit has been waived until we arrive and are earning dollars instead of exchanging £££ at a low rate.
Don't be afraid to ask for as much info as possible and if the landlord/agent are worthy of your money they will understand and accommodate your requests, if not, you know what to do.

All in all, no problems at all and found the agent and landlord most helpful.

Darren
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

russell8910 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Renting a place over there while still in the UK

luis_be,

I have the same question as you asked and it is good to see that the people answered your question to the same degree as the answers I got from friends who recently went to Australia....

Hope you move goes smoothly and you arrive in Australia safe and sound!!

We have 32 days to go!

cheers,

Russell
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Russell and luis_be

When we came over, we organised a rental short term (7 weeks) with a relocation company in SE Qld, that offered either just the house or different packages with help with all the stuff needed to do. We just went with the house (we have 4 dogs that came over with us, so needed it for somewhere to live whilst we brought a house) this worked for us. Most people I noticed use them for first few days or couple of weeks, it did offer us all we needed with helpful advice, internet access etc, etc. They did offer service of picking up from airport and lots more so option is there.

When we were considering Perth side, there are relocation companies that side as well offering same services, mostly all run by ex pats. Just do a search as not sure if I'm allowed to put the links on here for you. The WA one I found had a good dozen houses in various locations that you can book before you come - some of the houses excepted pets, others didn't.

Enjoy your last month in UK

Last edited by Wendy66; Jun 15th 2010 at 10:39 pm.