Reload this Page >

Renting in Melbourne without references

Renting in Melbourne without references

Old Apr 16th 2017, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

osharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting in Melbourne without references

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience of getting into the rental market as a tenant in Melbourne without having references? We have owned our house in London for the last seven years - no idea how to contact our last landlord. Can the problem be solved simply by offering up a significant upfront payment, and if so, how many months upfront?

Cheers,
Os.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Melbourne without references

Are you going to be selling your house before moving or renting it out?

I was kinda in a similar position but rented my flat out.

I just brought mortgage statements and documents from the estate agent managing my property and the rental agreement to show I was leasing it out.

I found the estate agents in Melbourne, did not call any of the references I put down. If you have a job to come too, provide the job offer letter showing your salary and ask your potential manager to be reference.

Just explain to the estate agent in Melbourne your situation.

If all else fails, then suggest 6 months payment up front especially if you do not have a job.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by evets
Are you going to be selling your house before moving or renting it out?

I was kinda in a similar position but rented my flat out. I just brought mortgage statements and documents from the estate agent managing my property and the rental agreement to show I was leasing it out. I found the estate agents in Melbourne, did not call any of the references I put down. If you have a job to come too, provide the job offer letter showing your salary and ask your potential manager to be reference. Just explain to the estate agent in Melbourne your situation. If all else fails, then suggest 6 months payment up front especially if you do not have a job.
Thanks for that. We'll be renting out. No job to come to; planning on taking a few months out to settle in. Six months up front is OK - has anyone needed to pay more than that?

Os
Old Apr 17th 2017, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Personally contact a couple of estate agents first and explain your situation, and ask them what is the best way to approach this.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 1:52 pm
Ghazi78

Ghazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really nice

06 months is more than enough .... U have another option to take from landlord directly instead of state agents ...

firstly decide in which area u r looking for renting ... join the local pages of that area on facebook .... almost all areas have atleast buy and sell kind of pages ... post ur requirement there with 4months upfront atleast ... u ll get good response surely
Old Apr 18th 2017, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ghazi786
06 months is more than enough .... U have another option to take from landlord directly instead of state agents ...

firstly decide in which area u r looking for renting ... join the local pages of that area on facebook .... almost all areas have atleast buy and sell kind of pages ... post ur requirement there with 4months upfront atleast ... u ll get good response surely
Good suggestion, thanks I will try that. How do I join local pages for that area? Do I need an Aussie VPN or should I be able to find my way regardless? (I'm on a few local London pages, but Facebook changes so often that I have NO idea how to get onto them now (or off them for that matter!).
Old Apr 18th 2017, 4:43 pm
Ghazi78

Ghazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really niceGhazi786 is just really nice

its v easy ... Once u have ddecided the area in which u want to rent out ... search name of that area in facebook and all pages relevant to that will appear ...

for example, i am living in Caroline Springs and when i search in facebook search bar ... all pages reevant to Caroline Springs appear ... then i can send Joining Request to Page Admin ... Once admin approves my request, i am allowed/able to post anything on the page and other people can see and respond ....

i moved to aust a month back and rented in this way
Old Apr 18th 2017, 4:44 pm
Ghazi78

its v easy ... Once u have ddecided the area in which u want to rent out ... search name of that area in facebook and all pages relevant to that will appear ...

for example, i am living in Caroline Springs and when i search in facebook search bar ... all pages reevant to Caroline Springs appear ... then i can send Joining Request to Page Admin ... Once admin approves my request, i am allowed/able to post anything on the page and other people can see and respond ....

i moved to aust a month back and rented in this way
Old Apr 20th 2017, 8:28 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Some temporary accommodation providers (such as us) will provide a landlord's reference as part of their service.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

airlineguy1980 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by osharp
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience of getting into the rental market as a tenant in Melbourne without having references? We have owned our house in London for the last seven years - no idea how to contact our last landlord. Can the problem be solved simply by offering up a significant upfront payment, and if so, how many months upfront?

Cheers,
Os.
Yes if you provide good bank statement with money in London and where you worked before. It should be fine. You don't need to pay upfront. It depends on negotiating skill and most important the agent must like you
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by osharp
Hi all,

Cheers,
Os.
Hi Os. This website's a useful read, especially for new arrivals who may be more vulnerable to scams or shonky practices https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/hous...dation/renting