Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental property in Melbourne

Rental property in Melbourne

Old May 24th 2016, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Pete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rental property in Melbourne

Hi,

We have settled on moving to Melbourne and are coming out without work lined up. My question is, I read on these pages about how competitive it is securing a half decent family rental, but I worry now will it go against us not being able to show an agent any proof of employment??? We will have some money in the bank that we can show by way of bank statement and docs that show we have a mortgage in the UK - will this be enough? We have never rented before so cant supply references. Any advice would be appreciated (as ever). Thanks
Old May 24th 2016, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental property in Melbourne

I was able to rent an apartment in Melbourne before I started work. I had to show bank statement and provide several references (Airbnb host where I was staying + ex-work colleagues). I was lucky that the agent liked me and my references were good. I didn't have to pay any extra apart from the usual 4 weeks bond and 1 month rent (not the same amounts!)

I do know of other people in this situation who had to pay 6 months rent in advance. Also depends on time of year (Jan, Feb, March = high demand) if the agent will be amenable or not.
Old May 24th 2016, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete39
Hi,

We have settled on moving to Melbourne and are coming out without work lined up. My question is, I read on these pages about how competitive it is securing a half decent family rental, but I worry now will it go against us not being able to show an agent any proof of employment??? We will have some money in the bank that we can show by way of bank statement and docs that show we have a mortgage in the UK - will this be enough? We have never rented before so cant supply references. Any advice would be appreciated (as ever). Thanks
Plenty of people in the same boat and I have never heard of anyone really struggling to find a rental. But I don't know why proving you have debt (a mortgage) would help. I would be proving I had savings, not debt and would consider payment in advance if I didn't have a job.
Old May 24th 2016, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Pete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond reputePete39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I was able to rent an apartment in Melbourne before I started work. I had to show bank statement and provide several references (Airbnb host where I was staying + ex-work colleagues). I was lucky that the agent liked me and my references were good. I didn't have to pay any extra apart from the usual 4 weeks bond and 1 month rent (not the same amounts!)

I do know of other people in this situation who had to pay 6 months rent in advance. Also depends on time of year (Jan, Feb, March = high demand) if the agent will be amenable or not.
Thanks cappuccino, that makes me feel more comfortable about it!
Old May 24th 2016, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Plenty of people in the same boat and I have never heard of anyone really struggling to find a rental. But I don't know why proving you have debt (a mortgage) would help. I would be proving I had savings, not debt and would consider payment in advance if I didn't have a job.
Hi there. Thanks also for replying. I have read a number of threads on here where people have said its dog eat dog trying to secure a rental which is why I asked the question. I would have thought that a mortgage, much like a credit card, creates a credit history for you, so it shows others that you pay your bills on time - that was my thinking.
Old May 24th 2016, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there. Thanks also for replying. I have read a number of threads on here where people have said its dog eat dog trying to secure a rental which is why I asked the question. I would have thought that a mortgage, much like a credit card, creates a credit history for you, so it shows others that you pay your bills on time - that was my thinking.
The market has changed a lot over the last few years and there appears to more rentals properties on the market. Also rent's have stabilised a lot and not being hiked up every year.

If you are renting your property in the UK, bring those documents. I think being a landlord yourself provides the potential new landlord a sense of trust.

Also when applying try to submit your application as soon as possible. I find it is usually a first come first served.
Old May 25th 2016, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I was having trouble securing a rental earlier in the year for a number of reasons. I just offered six months rent in advance on a six months lease and there wasn't a problem. If you have the money set aside for rent, just pay it all in one chunk if it gets to that level of desperation.
Old May 25th 2016, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by evets
The market has changed a lot over the last few years and there appears to more rentals properties on the market. Also rent's have stabilised a lot and not being hiked up every year.

If you are renting your property in the UK, bring those documents. I think being a landlord yourself provides the potential new landlord a sense of trust.

Also when applying try to submit your application as soon as possible. I find it is usually a first come first served.
Thanks for your advice - much appreciated !
Old May 25th 2016, 11:03 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Rental property in Melbourne

Hi,

Hi Pete, PMd you.

BB
Old May 26th 2016, 11:06 am
Just Joined

sarahhibbert is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi Pete, PMd you.

BB
Hi Buzzy Bee

Could you please also PM me details of your apartment? I have not posted enough yet to be able to PM people yet but basically looking for temp accommodation in Jan 2017 for a month or 2 as I will be coming over to study for 2 years with my husband. I was thinking of a short term rent at first to give us time to be able to look for and secure something longer term. Thanks, Sarah
Old May 26th 2016, 11:19 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Rental property in Melbourne

Originally Posted by sarahhibbert
Hi Buzzy Bee

Could you please also PM me details of your apartment? I have not posted enough yet to be able to PM people yet but basically looking for temp accommodation in Jan 2017 for a month or 2 as I will be coming over to study for 2 years with my husband. I was thinking of a short term rent at first to give us time to be able to look for and secure something longer term. Thanks, Sarah
Hi Sarah, the details are here, and I'll PM them to you too -

Self contained studio apartment for rent close to beach and train station

BB
Old Jun 13th 2016, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

sarahhibbert is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Buzzy Bee