Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

rental advice please - ready to submit application

rental advice please - ready to submit application

Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of
Default rental advice please - ready to submit application

Ok after wasting several days and several $$ petrol I have found our perfect house...

I am a single parent with 2 kids and $6k in the bank, no job but on newstart allowance and interviews coming out of my ears so I am sure that job offers will be on their way soon.

Today I had the call to say that all my stuff has cleared through customs and i have until next friday to give them address or pay megabucks storage fees.

So tomorrow I am going in with my application for perfect house within budget - although it is a little confusing - up with 2 agents at 2 different prices! Will clarify it tomorrow.

I am going to take in as much paperwork as possible and a letter outlining my position and offer 6-8 weeks rent in advance - do you think this will be enough to secure or does anyone have any good additional advice?

Many thanks
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:37 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: rental advice please - ready to submit application

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Ok after wasting several days and several $$ petrol I have found our perfect house...

I am a single parent with 2 kids and $6k in the bank, no job but on newstart allowance and interviews coming out of my ears so I am sure that job offers will be on their way soon.

Today I had the call to say that all my stuff has cleared through customs and i have until next friday to give them address or pay megabucks storage fees.

So tomorrow I am going in with my application for perfect house within budget - although it is a little confusing - up with 2 agents at 2 different prices! Will clarify it tomorrow.

I am going to take in as much paperwork as possible and a letter outlining my position and offer 6-8 weeks rent in advance - do you think this will be enough to secure or does anyone have any good additional advice?

Many thanks
Yes the rent in advance trick has helped me in the past. I asked the real estate agent why she chose us for our current place and she said that it was simply because I was the first to hand in a complete and neat application (I shoved it under their front door only an hour after the open house).

There were five other couples worthy of renting the place so in the end it all came down to speed.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Thanks... well i have just typed up a creepy letter and will take it in with all documents tomorrow to give in hand and fingers crossed!
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok its all gone in and i've begged and pleaded with the girl to make a good case for me, i don't think there have been any other applications and its been on for around 3 weeks now with 2 reductions. Don't know why it hasnt gone its a fab house! Mind you the back garden is a bit small - so may that is it! but you cant have everything - the pool was a big plus for me, never mind the garden.

So please send karma - i should know by monday afternoon or else i am well and truly stuffed!
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Good Luck with the application, we will all be waiting for the good news on Monday
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

DONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really niceDONOVAN is just really nice

Good luck in securing your rental, fingers crossed for you.

Sarah x
Old Jul 12th 2008, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

hello_cmc is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you please post list of documents that are needed for an application to be considered as Complete .

Thanks in Advaance
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Fingers crossed x

minibelle
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hello_cmc
Can you please post list of documents that are needed for an application to be considered as Complete .

Thanks in Advaance
You'll get a similar list to the following when you download a rental application form from the property's agent's site

You will need to provide photocopies of identification information to total 100 points.
• Passport 60 points
• Driver’s licence 50 points
• Photo identification, copy of birth Certificate, Police check 40 points each
• Current registration papers, rent receipts, phone and electricity
account statements, Credit cards, Medicare card 10 points each

Then you'll need your offer, references (personal - from a previous landlord or neighbour if possible or employment to confirm good character and look after stuff) and something to confirm you'll be able to pay, eg. job offer.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Every agent has been different!

I provided copy of passport, aussie DL, Medicare card, letter from previous landlord, copy of letter from shipping company to say my effects were at customs, citizenship certificate, statements from my 2 accounts here, centrelink letters proving income. Letter grovelling and stating my case. I think that was it. oh and a spreadsheet outlining the next 6 weeks incoming and outgoings to prove that I could afford the pay the rent etc.