Rent or Sell?

Old May 16th 2012, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

BonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really nice
Default Re: Rent or Sell?

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
One thing I would look at is Landord insurance.

Should the tenant loose their job, become ill etc the rent will be paid until the tenant is out and you get a new tenant into the property.

http://www.letsure.co.uk/landlords/default.aspx This is who we used, great peace of mind when you are so far away.
Thanks for the link, i'll check this out now
Old May 17th 2012, 12:05 am
Just Joined

LittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud ofLittleButton has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BonnieH
Like I said in the previous post it's the worry of moving away and having no control of the property. We have no intention of coming back to the UK so the thought of having a property back here wouldn't sway me to return however its the worry of that email or that phone call to say your property needs this repairing and that repairing..... our house has been renovated to a high standard so i'd hope that for the first few years at least it would be still in that condition, i'd like to think tenants would treat the property as if it was there own but that is not always the case.
Bonnie, I would say that if you have a good reliable agent (do a LOT of research) and pay for a fully managed service, you shouldn't have to worry about the maintenance - I just get emailed when something needs fixing, and then my agent deals with everything, they have a great network of reliable tradespeople and it never costs the earth. A good agent will also vet your tenants and make regular visits to your property to check on the condition. I would imagine that if people go for the cheapest management service they can find they may well have a different experience than I do - it's a false ecomony - you get what you pay for.
Old May 17th 2012, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BonnieH
Thanks everyone for your comments, I suppose everyones situation is different. We've been to Oz a few times now and have family over there and have had mortgage meetings so we know that we can still buy a property over there and still have property in uk....

Unfortunatly we bought our house in 2007 just before the crash so we are not in a great position to sell and make a fortune, the decision is do we cut our losses and sell for a rubbish price or rent the property out until the market picks up....

Like I said in the previous post it's the worry of moving away and having no control of the property. We have no intention of coming back to the UK so the thought of having a property back here wouldn't sway me to return however its the worry of that email or that phone call to say your property needs this repairing and that repairing..... our house has been renovated to a high standard so i'd hope that for the first few years at least it would be still in that condition, i'd like to think tenants would treat the property as if it was there own but that is not always the case.

I suppose the main thing to do is get the pros and cons of renting and if all the hassle is worth it, you hear of so many horror stories that it kind of puts you off...... so thanks for the people who commented who have been or are in that situation.

I wish I never bloomin bought a house now!! lol
Are you hesitating because you might not make a fortune or because you don't want to realise a loss? I would see the two quite differently. Breaking even would be reasonably acceptable to me (although financial isn't the only reason we didn't sell).

I have not found renting to be any hassle and I don't worry at all about the phone call to say something needs repairing. In fact the agent doesn't even tell me, they just get on with the little things that have come up and they seem to have excellent rates with local tradespeople. This is what I meant about having to change your mindset to see it as a business though, it is to be expected that businesses will incur expenses which is how I see the maintenance costs.

I am fussy about who I let to, I expect them to be vetted and reference checked very carefully and good up front checking reduces the liklihood of nightmare tenants.
Old May 17th 2012, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

BonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really niceBonnieH is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Are you hesitating because you might not make a fortune or because you don't want to realise a loss? I would see the two quite differently. Breaking even would be reasonably acceptable to me (although financial isn't the only reason we didn't sell).

I have not found renting to be any hassle and I don't worry at all about the phone call to say something needs repairing. In fact the agent doesn't even tell me, they just get on with the little things that have come up and they seem to have excellent rates with local tradespeople. This is what I meant about having to change your mindset to see it as a business though, it is to be expected that businesses will incur expenses which is how I see the maintenance costs.

I am fussy about who I let to, I expect them to be vetted and reference checked very carefully and good up front checking reduces the liklihood of nightmare tenants.
A bit of both really.... we spent 3 years modernising the property, each weekend we was doing something to it so it became a labour of love. If you could pick a house up and move it I would..... I suppose it all depends on what people are prepared to pay.... but if it turns out that we have to sell it for peanuts then renting is the only option. Overall the main goal is to get out of this dark grey depressing country and start a new life over in Aus :-)
Old May 17th 2012, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

If you can find a good local lettings agent then everything can be smooth and easy. We are now back in the UK, but whilst in Australia we rented out a UK property for around 18 months with no hassles.

So it's worth visiting a couple of local agents and "interviewing" them. Ask for a reference from a couple of their landlords. We also bought a book called "successful property letting" by David Lawrenson, which covers the basics.

A key point for us is that the rent minus costs just about covers the mortgage, so cash in/out is neutral. Regardless of whether or not property prices go up, as the years go by you will own a bigger and bigger slice of your property. Also, landlord insurance is a must.

Good luck!
Old May 18th 2012, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

MadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really nice

I'm renting mine as I just don't know if I want to go to Oz long term. I like the security of having a bolthole here. Plus I almost own it now so most of the rent will be mine, after the first year. Not looking forward to renting, which will be more than the rent I will collect but hey ho, wage is higher too. Everyone is different. I hate debt and worry about money, so for me, I may not have gone if had large mortgage plus prospect of paying rent in Oz. Some people just don't care if the pull is strong enough. Hope you work it out.