Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Originally Posted by MANDS14
ok thanks Pollyanna. I am going to try and do it as if we are lioving in UK then to save paying 3 times the price!

Wish me luck! I'll let you all know if it comes back ok!
Will be interested to hear if this works 'cos both my kids need theirs renewed Just been looking at prices and could get both in the UK for the price of one here

Keep us updated.

Lynn xx
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Just for info, we got my wife's in to Canberra just a couple of days before the Aus. Post checking service started so that we saved the $50.

The new one arrived today, so exactly 3 weeks processing time.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

When we were back in UK last year we were going to renew our British passport,had all id required.Seeing as it was a few years out of date we were going to have to apply as 1st British passport and wouldn't be able to do it in 1 day as thought in London.Was going to take 3 weeks but we had left it too late.The woman i spoke with said they wouldn't allow it to be signed for by anyone else or be sent to Australia (terrorist or identity theft).Just about to apply for it, so we can use it to go home to Scotland.Will have a look/see on website if it has to be done at a Perth post office as we are in Jurien Bay but going down to Perth for a few days next week.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

I went into the Post Office at Hornsby mainly to see if I needed to make an appointment to renew my UK passport, never been impressed with that particular branch and certainly wasn't today. I was really pleased when I walked in at exactly noon, three counter staff each with a customer but nobody in the queue. One of the counter staff seemed to be an unsupervised trainee because she was constantly running to the next person for advice. The next one was just completing a credit card transaction so I thought great, only a moment before I can ask my question. The third person seemed to be selling a mobile phone along with signing them up. I suddenly realised that I'd been stood there seven minutes and the original three customers had not moved, I looked behind me and found that a queue had formed right to the door. I have to go to another suburb next week, I know their Post Office is better organised so I will try there.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

Damn. Re my previous posts, have just realised that the passports get sent out secure delivery ie you need to sign for them. Royal mail do not redirect mail items that need to be signed for, they return them to the sender.

So it looks like my way of doing it won't work and I will have to go through the foreign embassy unless anyone has any other advice?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:06 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NigelWaring
I went into the Post Office at Hornsby mainly to see if I needed to make an appointment to renew my UK passport, never been impressed with that particular branch and certainly wasn't today. I was really pleased when I walked in at exactly noon, three counter staff each with a customer but nobody in the queue. One of the counter staff seemed to be an unsupervised trainee because she was constantly running to the next person for advice. The next one was just completing a credit card transaction so I thought great, only a moment before I can ask my question. The third person seemed to be selling a mobile phone along with signing them up. I suddenly realised that I'd been stood there seven minutes and the original three customers had not moved, I looked behind me and found that a queue had formed right to the door. I have to go to another suburb next week, I know their Post Office is better organised so I will try there.

Well, don't come to Balmain then - it's exactly the same story at the post office here...

S
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MANDS14
Damn. Re my previous posts, have just realised that the passports get sent out secure delivery ie you need to sign for them. Royal mail do not redirect mail items that need to be signed for, they return them to the sender.

So it looks like my way of doing it won't work and I will have to go through the foreign embassy unless anyone has any other advice?
Mmm, I think it'l only work renewing in the UK if you are there on holiday I'm afraid
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

Well I did manage eventually to renew my passport. First I phoned 131318 to make an appointment and listened to inane recorded messages and adverts for Australia Post for 17 minutes, half the messages could not be heard properly because their machine has a fault, I couldn't stand it any longer so I gave up. Tried again the next day, must have been getting used to it, this time I listened for 21 minutes before giving up. I then went back to Hornsby and they dealt with me without an appointment. The lady that processed my application was very nice but I don't think she was very familiar with the process, she had to get help twice. All you get for your $50 is that they check the form using a list then put it all in a registered envelope and send it to Canberra.

Beware, there is a firm on the Internet selling Passport Renewal kits for about $35, all it is is the free forms that you can download from the British High Commission site.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

unsettled is an unknown quantity at this point

Talking to some expats at the local post office about the new renewal system with Australia Post. Rather expensive I thought but then what isn't! Anyway I didn't understand why they had had all their documents and application forms photocopied by the counter clerk. Where do these copies go? Apparently they were told its for record keeping? Anyone else had similar experiences?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Ralb is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in England last October. My passport was due to run out in Feb of this year and I had a vague memory of some countries visa requirements saying that you had to have more than 6 months to run on your passport to get into the country. This seems weird (was going to use the word 'bizzaar' here but had problems with spell check as it gave me bazzarr which I thought was a fair/sale type of thing so I went with weird) as I got a ten year passport, not a nine and a half year passport.
ANYWAY - I left it too late to apply by post via my parents address where I had been having post sent to, ie the bank (useless bank -had written to change address and rang from Aus twice but still get letters sent to parents -worked in my favour this time - Ha!)and refused to pay exorbitant amount to fast track it so I decided to go and get it personally.
I made an appointment in Liverpool and was told in no uncertain terms that should I be late then my appointment would be voided and I would be accused of wasting time, jailed and transported to the other side of the world (slight exaggeration!). I arranged to visit relatives in Manchester, borrrowed Dad's car, googled the directions and set off with tonnes of time to spare with my appointment letter (also giving dire warnings of lateness). Google directions are useless! Went round in circles and visited many areas of Liverpool previously unseen - now seen two or three times. Finally found the office with mere minutes to spare, but nowhere to park. Parking is useless round Liverpool passport office. Found gold plated parking place (must have been gold plated for the price) and ran up three flights of stairs (okay to be honest, I hurried up the first flight of stairs, plodded up the second flight and dragged myself up the third flight), got out of stairwell in an office block, was given directions and went down the stairs (typical!) onto the street and rushed into the passport office on the stroke of 12.00.
There was no queue. In fact the place was nearly deserted. Lucky I made an appointment. Got appointment letter and necessary paperwork checked. Went through bag check and metal detector. Went to desk and had letter and documents and photos checked and was given number and told to wait in chairs until my number was called. Didn't make it to the chairs before my number flashed and dinged. Went to next desk and paperwork was taken. Asked how I wanted to pay and was sent to paying desk. Paid and was directed to the exit. The clock on the wall read 12.06!
Went to get car back and had to pay for 4 hours on Buckingham Palace rate!! Too bewildered to go shopping or experience Liverpool docklands. Drove back to Manchester getting lost only twice.
Old passport returned after three days, new passport after five days. Now I have to carry the pair of them as visa is in old one, but I don't mind that as it is a much more interesting one to read in the check-in queue having travelled a bit more.
I realise now that the title of this post is not covered by me or my ramblings, but I'm sure it covers a question or two put by others. If not then it does let people know about the inadequacies of the bank, google directions and Liverpool parking, so it's all good!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:22 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon my slowness in the matter but where exactly do I go/call/contact to get the ball rolling with renewing a U.K Passport? I'm still not sure after reading the last 3 pages of this thread

Thanks Guys
Jan (DOH! )
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:30 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
Pardon my slowness in the matter but where exactly do I go/call/contact to get the ball rolling with renewing a U.K Passport? I'm still not sure after reading the last 3 pages of this thread

Thanks Guys
Jan (DOH! )
It seems that the website had moved the info so the link had stopped working. I've updated it, so if you go to the first post of this thread you'll find the new link there

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 8th 2009 at 12:42 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:44 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everso Polly

Jan
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Laura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really niceLaura1888 is just really nice

On the subject of passports when you become an Australia citizen do you get to keep your uk passport?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:38 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Laura1888
On the subject of passports when you become an Australia citizen do you get to keep your uk passport?
Yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.