Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Originally Posted by kimandken
As far as i know it once you have citizenship you have to travel on an Australian passport.
Thought so.Not what I wanted to hear.Its a nightmare.Thanks.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 11:16 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Thought so.Not what I wanted to hear.Its a nightmare.Thanks.
I think you have options. I'm sure people have travelled before with other evidence of their citizenship (moneypenny???)...just be prepared for some hold ups along the way.

There is also a visa which Australian citizens can apply for under some circumstances when they are unable to arrange an Australian passport in time.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/931.pdf

Bear in mind for an extra $100 on top you can get priority processing for passports (2 working days - $326 in total).
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think you have options. I'm sure people have travelled before with other evidence of their citizenship (moneypenny???)...just be prepared for some hold ups along the way.

There is also a visa which Australian citizens can apply for under some circumstances when they are unable to arrange an Australian passport in time.

Bear in mind for an extra $100 on top you can get priority processing for passports (2 working days - $326 in total).
Thank you.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, either go for Priority processing - which they assured me really is only 2 days. or travel with your citizenship certificate and your previous visa, but be prepared to ask for a supervisor at check-in, and delays if they have to talk to DIAC. Just means getting to check-iin early. Immigration in Aus will also quiz you, but just explain the difficulty and show them the dates etc. Moneypenny did it, so did Mrs Soapy, who had to travel at very short notice too.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, either go for Priority processing - which they assured me really is only 2 days. or travel with your citizenship certificate and your previous visa, but be prepared to ask for a supervisor at check-in, and delays if they have to talk to DIAC. Just means getting to check-iin early. Immigration in Aus will also quiz you, but just explain the difficulty and show them the dates etc. Moneypenny did it, so did Mrs Soapy, who had to travel at very short notice too.
Thank you both.Will probably go with priorty processing.When we go for our ceremony do we get the certificate on the night meaning that I could actually submit my aplication at the post office the following day.Atm I have no passport.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Thank you both.Will probably go with priorty processing.When we go for our ceremony do we get the certificate on the night meaning that I could actually submit my aplication at the post office the following day.Atm I have no passport.
Yes you get it there and then.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes you get it there and then.
Thanks again.Roll on Wednesday the 9th.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:49 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I am about to renew my UK passport, it says I have to include the original full birth certificate, mine is a copy that I had to order for our migration to Australia, I am wondering if that is OK, I think its a full one - cant remember, must have been for migration purposes.

Just read about the nightmare some people have had with photos so am praying Aus Post get it right first time.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am about to renew my UK passport, it says I have to include the original full birth certificate, mine is a copy that I had to order for our migration to Australia, I am wondering if that is OK, I think its a full one - cant remember, must have been for migration purposes.
I always find this really confusing!

I have something which says it is an 'extract', and in itself looks like a copy. Sometimes you see birth certifates and extracts being referred to as two different things.

It's the only thing I've ever used through all my visa apps etc and it seems to have been accepted along the way.

But do you have the red style passport...I don't think you need a BC to renew those???
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:29 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I always find this really confusing!

I have something which says it is an 'extract', and in itself looks like a copy. Sometimes you see birth certifates and extracts being referred to as two different things.

It's the only thing I've ever used through all my visa apps etc and it seems to have been accepted along the way.

But do you have the red style passport...I don't think you need a BC to renew those???
We both have red style passports, Ill have a thorough check on the site when I get home, its just daunting I guess when you do it for the first time.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 1:50 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

We both have red style passports, Ill have a thorough check on the site when I get home, its just daunting I guess when you do it for the first time.

I renewed my red style passport with no BC - But that was in the UK. I barely needed any countersigned photos, but my hair was a bit longer, so she said it was best to get them.

A renewal of an existing passport should be reasonably simple...

S
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 1:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

The passports now get processed in NZ, hence this link (which came from the Aus site):

http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/...ocuments-page1

Checklist 1 applies to documentation required for red passports:

http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/res...newingPassport

Bit of a strange document with no header / footer etc but no mention of birth certificates.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 2:46 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Just read about the nightmare some people have had with photos so am praying Aus Post get it right first time.

Yes, the Aus standard for photos is very different to the UK one. I used a machine in Sainsbury's last year, and it conveniently guides you through the process. The Aus system seems to be a bit hit and miss, with most automated machines not meeting the requirements. I went to a bloke at a photography place for min, but it cost me another $30...

S
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 2:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, the Aus standard for photos is very different to the UK one. I used a machine in Sainsbury's last year, and it conveniently guides you through the process. The Aus system seems to be a bit hit and miss, with most automated machines not meeting the requirements. I went to a bloke at a photography place for min, but it cost me another $30...
S
For Aus passport...I used a booth, the post office rejected them. I got some done by this miserable bint in a pharmacy, the post office rejected them. Finally, they took them in the post office, I thought they were the worst of the lot but obviously they didn't reject their own!
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
I never under stand this, they always say (and the forms also say it) that UK photos for the passport are very different for the Australian one, Irish passport forms also say this.

Yet I went to the chemist and got one set of pictures, the set had 6 photos and I sent them for each of my passports, now my Aus, Irish and UK passport have the exact same picture, all excepted and all fine... so their rules and requirements can't be that different can they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.