Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living in the Blue Mountains, job situation.

Living in the Blue Mountains, job situation.

Old Jan 20th 2013, 11:46 am
Just Joined

gardener22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in the Blue Mountains, job situation.

Moving to australia this summer namely Blue Mountians, NSW, i would be buying a house because property is a lot cheaper out there than in Sydney.

I have a fifteen yr old still at school and i am just wondering what people do who have families with their teens after they leave school, where are you placing your kids for jobs and careers etc. Are there opportunities in the mountains or is the only alternative that long dreaded commute to sydney?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:25 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in the Blue Mountains, job situation.

Originally Posted by gardener22
Moving to australia this summer namely Blue Mountians, NSW, i would be buying a house because property is a lot cheaper out there than in Sydney.

I have a fifteen yr old still at school and i am just wondering what people do who have families with their teens after they leave school, where are you placing your kids for jobs and careers etc. Are there opportunities in the mountains or is the only alternative that long dreaded commute to sydney?
There are a hell of a lot of places in between the Blue Mountains and Sydney!!

With any luck, our three will decide to work in Perth after uni, then there's no way they can commute.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Yes i know that, but with the first main stop at the bottom of the mountains being 'Penrith', for obvious reasons that is not going to be my favoured choice.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:16 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i know that, but with the first main stop at the bottom of the mountains being 'Penrith', for obvious reasons that is not going to be my favoured choice.
There's nothing wrong with job opportunities in Penrith?

Anyway, there are plenty of job opportunities (depending on what sort of jobs you're talking about) without having to commute into Sydney.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

I am not disputing that, i just don't want my kid to work in Penrith, not wanting to start a tit for tat about Penrith that is why i was asking what plans other families have made.
Confused about your previous reply you said 'Perth? when you live in the mountains, anyway, just wondered, is there many britexpats in the mountains.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 9:42 pm
Officially Bewildered

I am not disputing that, i just don't want my kid to work in Penrith, not wanting to start a tit for tat about Penrith that is why i was asking what plans other families have made.
Confused about your previous reply you said 'Perth? when you live in the mountains, anyway, just wondered, is there many britexpats in the mountains.
If you're confused about the comment about Perth then your 15 year old must still be at the angelic stage.

What sort of jobs are you talking about? Permanent careers? Part time jobs? Saturday work?

Will you stop your child going to Uni in Penrith?