Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Sep 28th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I just got my sons back this week and yes you do. I got his checked and sent at the post office and I didnt get charged. Not sure if it was because it was a childs one?? I would have thought it would be a standard charge regardless.

I got his done at Pacific Fair
Did my husbands at Pac fair too and didnt get charged for the check and send ? Questioned it too... Anyone know how long their taking to send out the renewed passports at the moment?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Does anyone know what minimum length on a UK passport is required to enter Oz?

Mine runs out in May 2010 and I should be back by March - would rather not have to get a new passport before as will then need new visa label etc!!??
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCro
Does anyone know what minimum length on a UK passport is required to enter Oz?

Mine runs out in May 2010 and I should be back by March - would rather not have to get a new passport before as will then need new visa label etc!!??
It just has to be valid at the time you enter - and re-enter the UK. However countries you pass through on the way may require more time
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

deadlock will become famous soon enough

hi all, i'm in the process of applying for new uk passport and i take it i will need a new visa label from au government? i still have the a4 size visa that i was given through my agent would that suffice if i want to return to aus? cheers all in advance
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:38 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deadlock
hi all, i'm in the process of applying for new uk passport and i take it i will need a new visa label from au government? i still have the a4 size visa that i was given through my agent would that suffice if i want to return to aus? cheers all in advance
If your visa is stil valid and you are in the UK you can either send the passport to the High Commission and request a new label, or just travel with both passports, and sho the label in the new passport.
If you are in Aus take both passports to the neaqrest DIAC office and they will put a new label in for you
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If your visa is stil valid and you are in the UK you can either send the passport to the High Commission and request a new label, or just travel with both passports, and sho the label in the new passport.
If you are in Aus take both passports to the neaqrest DIAC office and they will put a new label in for you
thanks for that,do you think that its worth going to the british consulate with my application when its complete to get them to have a look and make sure i havent missed anything?
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:09 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by deadlock
thanks for that,do you think that its worth going to the british consulate with my application when its complete to get them to have a look and make sure i havent missed anything?
No idea at all! If you are applying in Aus then you have to send it via their lousy postal system and Aus Post are supposed to check it first (see the beginning of this thread. I am sceptical about the efficiency of this service owing to numerous arguments between me and Aus Post as to whether a British Passport is a valid legal document!)
No idea whether British Consulates offer this service, you'd have to contact the one where you live.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

No idea at all! If you are applying in Aus then you have to send it via their lousy postal system and Aus Post are supposed to check it first (see the beginning of this thread. I am sceptical about the efficiency of this service owing to numerous arguments between me and Aus Post as to whether a British Passport is a valid legal document!)
No idea whether British Consulates offer this service, you'd have to contact the one where you live.
i'll go and see the consulate in brisbane and will give you and update,thanks for the advice
Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:10 am
Just Joined

unsettled is an unknown quantity at this point

Proof of identity

Never really thought Auspost that bad until I was with a work college getting his UK passport renewed when the counter lass says "Have you got any ID such as Oz driving license?" At which point I stopped looking at the shelf bargains and smilled. Thought she was having a bit of a laugh as I had heard a similar experience earlier in the year but didn't put much truth by it. Discussion proceeded but to no avail. Pushed for time and the manager was out so we left it until later in the week. Was going to ring up the passport $3 per min line but decided would try this first. Can anyone verify that you need extra ID to submit your passport renewal application?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not the first time this has been said in this thread but.....two hundred and ninety three bucks?! WTF is that all about?

The wife nearly collapsed in the Post Office when she heard that.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:29 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by unsettled
Proof of identity

Never really thought Auspost that bad until I was with a work college getting his UK passport renewed when the counter lass says "Have you got any ID such as Oz driving license?" At which point I stopped looking at the shelf bargains and smilled. Thought she was having a bit of a laugh as I had heard a similar experience earlier in the year but didn't put much truth by it. Discussion proceeded but to no avail. Pushed for time and the manager was out so we left it until later in the week. Was going to ring up the passport $3 per min line but decided would try this first. Can anyone verify that you need extra ID to submit your passport renewal application?
I swear someone warned Aus Post about me today - I went in to post some calendars, some going to the UK/US and was prepared for the usual "a UK passport is not proof of identity" argument I get every time.......and the staff member said "thats OK, I don't need any ID if they are just calendars, don't worry" I stood there with my mouth open

As for the question above, I don't know, but as a non driver I have no other ID so when I finally need to renew my passport I have a problem if I do need extra ID.......I meant to ask today, but I was so gobsmacked I forgot!!!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 9:36 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I swear someone warned Aus Post about me today - I went in to post some calendars, some going to the UK/US and was prepared for the usual "a UK passport is not proof of identity" argument I get every time.......and the staff member said "thats OK, I don't need any ID if they are just calendars, don't worry" I stood there with my mouth open

As for the question above, I don't know, but as a non driver I have no other ID so when I finally need to renew my passport I have a problem if I do need extra ID.......I meant to ask today, but I was so gobsmacked I forgot!!!

Can you get a proof of age card thingo with your age on it? Or just get your learners licence for the ID even if you have no intention of ever learning to drive?

I must profess, the drivers licence is rapidly becoming the de-facto piece of ID here. Many Sydney pubs and clubs won't let you in unless you have one.

S
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:26 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Can you get a proof of age card thingo with your age on it? Or just get your learners licence for the ID even if you have no intention of ever learning to drive?

I must profess, the drivers licence is rapidly becoming the de-facto piece of ID here. Many Sydney pubs and clubs won't let you in unless you have one.

S
Can't get a learners licence without passing the theory test
I might have to end up getting a proof of age card - which is just daft at my stage in life!!! I have to take my passport whenever I go out drinking, just plain daft......
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:54 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Can't get a learners licence without passing the theory test
I might have to end up getting a proof of age card - which is just daft at my stage in life!!! I have to take my passport whenever I go out drinking, just plain daft......

Yes, it is. It should be pretty evident that at certain stages in life some people are old enough to drink. It didn't stop them asking my parents for ID though...

Here in NSW, the RTA offer a proof of age card, which is considered as good as a driving licence. The problem of course is that it's actually cheaper to sit the theory test and get the learners permit than to get the POA card...

S
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:56 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Im just looking at renewing my sons passport as it runs out in March. The form and photos have to be signed by someone who is not related and is either a British or Commonwealth citizen of professional standing who has known us personally for at least 2 yrs. As weve only been here for 6 months we dont know anyone. Any ideas what we can do?

The cost of the passport is $206

Thanksx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.