Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

cheers pollyana

so $475 from oz or $155 from the u.k for me and number 3

looks like i will be applying from my sisters then

i thought it would only be a little extra not 3 times the amount
Old Aug 13th 2012, 11:06 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilgar
That is an excellent analogy.
ha ha.....I just got it!!! Very good!
Old Aug 14th 2012, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Once you get citizenship and an Australian passport, do you need your UK one? Is it simply to make visiting Uk easier? A friend of mine has said that you need a UK passport to enter Uk otherwise you need a visa

She has confused me a little as I didn't think you needed a visa to enter Uk. Can someone clarify this for me please ?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 2:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Hi. Once you get citizenship and an Australian passport, do you need your UK one? Is it simply to make visiting Uk easier? A friend of mine has said that you need a UK passport to enter Uk otherwise you need a visa

She has confused me a little as I didn't think you needed a visa to enter Uk. Can someone clarify this for me please ?

That's untrue - You don't need a visa to enter the UK:

The right of abode, i.e., the right to enter and live in the United Kingdom freely, is held by all British citizens automatically. It is also held by some British subjects and those other Commonwealth citizens who were patrials under the Immigration Act 1971.
You can travel on your Australian Passport and enter the UK on your expired UK one if you prefer. An expired UK passport is [usually] considered evidence of Right to abode.

I entered on my expired UK passport last year with no problems. I did get a ticking off by the Immigration guy though about keeping my passport up to date, and he was then really helpful about getting it renewed while I was visiting.

S
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the clarification. We're not planning on a trip back to UK in the near future so I'm reluctant to renew passports when we've got Australian ones. Any idea on how long you can wait to renew? I.e. if we wait a couple of years would we have to start process from beginning rather than a simple renewal? Hope that makes sense x
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:16 am
Just Joined

TerriEllen will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Any idea on how long you can wait to renew? I.e. if we wait a couple of years would we have to start process from beginning rather than a simple renewal? Hope that makes sense x
It doesn't matter how long your passport has expired by. My first one expired by 4 years before I renewed it and that one was out by 5 years before renewal. You don't have to keep it constantly up to date. I only renew mine when I want to travel.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Great, thanks for that xx
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

jamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nicejamesflorraine is just really nice

Hi i am a Australian Citizen when my UK passport is about to expire, can i actually renew it through the UK or must i do it here in Australia, if so anybody got any idea what the procedure is thanks
Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesflorraine
Hi i am a Australian Citizen when my UK passport is about to expire, can i actually renew it through the UK or must i do it here in Australia, if so anybody got any idea what the procedure is thanks
If you are living in Aus you are supposed to renew it here. The link in the first post of this thread has the details
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a new British passport - Question

Hi guys, i need to apply for a new passport for my son. He's 16 now and his last one has been lost and it would have expired anyway.

I believe we have to apply to Wellington in New Zealand for a new one.
Would anyone know if we have to supply a FULL birth certificate in this instance?

OR

Does anyone know how to contact the passport office to ask the question?

I can't seem to find a number for enquiries.

Thanks
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:10 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a new British passport - Question

Originally Posted by jazzys
Hi guys, i need to apply for a new passport for my son. He's 16 now and his last one has been lost and it would have expired anyway.

I believe we have to apply to Wellington in New Zealand for a new one.
Would anyone know if we have to supply a FULL birth certificate in this instance?

OR

Does anyone know how to contact the passport office to ask the question?

I can't seem to find a number for enquiries.

Thanks
First post of the thread takes you to the page you need with all the notes sheets on it.
This looks like its the page you need to follow - http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/...s-first-timers and yes, he will need the long version birth cert (which he should have needed for his Aussie visa )
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
First post of the thread takes you to the page you need with all the notes sheets on it.
This looks like its the page you need to follow - http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/...s-first-timers and yes, he will need the long version birth cert (which he should have needed for his Aussie visa )
Damn, only seem to have the short version of his birth cert.
Don't suppose i can get one from some department in OZ can i?

Cheers
Old Sep 9th 2012, 1:10 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by jazzys
Damn, only seem to have the short version of his birth cert.
Don't suppose i can get one from some department in OZ can i?

Cheers
Not if its a UK birth certificate, no!

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp might be what you need

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 9th 2012 at 1:13 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:17 am
Just Joined

torface is an unknown quantity at this point

Apologies if this has been answered previously, but I cant seem to search on my phone!

Has anyone had to replace a damaged uk passport here in aus?

Im very confused! It seems that there isnt even a checkbox on the form for 'damaged'...

Also, Since im born after 1983 or whatever it is, Do I really need to prove my citizenship for this? I have a UK birth certificate but my mother is German and my father (who is British) is deceased so I would have major dramas getting a birth certificate for him. I can potentially get their marriage certificate, but would I have to get original sent from the UK???

Thanks!
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by torface
Im very confused! It seems that there isnt even a checkbox on the form for 'damaged'...

Also, Since im born after 1983 or whatever it is, Do I really need to prove my citizenship for this? I have a UK birth certificate but my mother is German and my father (who is British) is deceased so I would have major dramas getting a birth certificate for him. I can potentially get their marriage certificate, but would I have to get original sent from the UK???
It's usually quite easy to get a copy of the birth certificate, you can apply online from the GRO and have them send it to an overseas address.

For a damaged passport, I would probably tick renewal and include the damaged passport in the application.

Birth in the UK from 1983 does not automatically mean someone is a British citizen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.