Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

RELOCATION PEOPLE - WORTH THE MONEY?

RELOCATION PEOPLE - WORTH THE MONEY?

Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:57 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RELOCATION PEOPLE - WORTH THE MONEY?

Originally Posted by Trevski
Hi
I just like to say that AU$1200 is far to much to charge for this service, we picked up a couple from a hotel in Brisbane showed them the city and around a few building developments and also took them to a show home complex, also we introduced them to a couple of real estate agents all this over seven hours and all we charged was $250, im only sorry we dont cover Melbourne as it seems as people are not getting value or service for the money
Thxs
Most short term accomodation places do free pickup from the airport here in Melbourne. The 40 - 50 min trip allows time too offload enough info to get people started.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Can we have the web link to the company offering this service please. Cheeky Bar Stewards
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely not worth the money!

My employer arranged one for me and husband as part of our relocation to Oz.
Once we had been here a month, I realised she had shown us about 3 sq kms of Melbourne suburbs- all seemed to be where her sister/cousin/aunt/dog lived. We had no idea so thought we had seen countless areas.

Complete and utter waste of space. Our requests to live in an area with easy access to restaurants and bars and the city saw us in the middle of Melbourne's only dry suburb, amidst all the best private schools.

Alternatively tell your hubby to take a taxi for a couple of hours- would cost no more than 200 bucks.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:27 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I initially thought about using a relocation company. Personally I would rather we did everything ourselves.

Stuff that might seem time consuming could well aid us on our learning curve of the system once we are in Oz.

It is probably a godsend for some, but for us, the money would be better spent on other things.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends what sort of relocation services are on offer. If you're landing in a country/state that you have never been to before and where you have no family or friends, certain things would be great, like accommodation, a hire car, someone to meet you at the airport. These sorts of things would be worth paying for. Exploring is best done as a family. Getting lost is optional.......
Old Nov 21st 2007, 2:20 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

My cousin used a relocation agent when she moved to Sydney from Singapore in August...

but they did absolutely everything for her...

packed up and shipped her stuff from her apartment in Singapore,
Organised her flights
Met her at the airport and took her to the accomodation.
found her a short term let...1 month's accomodation
Arranged viewings for a more permanent home, based on her requirements and showed her the city during the 3 days they did the viewings.
Arranged for her to visit local car dealerships based on her car needs
Arranged the deliver of all her household contents to her new permanent home, helped with insurances of car and home, and arranged her TFN and medicare registration.

Admittedly this was a corporate relocation, I have no idea what all this cost, but the only thing she had to pay for was the car and the deposit on the new apartment!
Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:53 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mancfamily
Has anybody ever used a relocation agency?

I have been in contact with one in particular, and they provide an orientation service for A$1200, this is for one day of their time where they show you around the areas etc, and visit properties etc.

My hubby arrives in Melbourne this Sunday evening to suss everything out, and was wondering if to book in for this service.

Any comments greatly appreciated (not sure if I'm allowed to name this particular company!)
Sounds like a right royal rip orf to me m'lud!!!

Save your money - get loads of advice from BE - ask questions, do searches. Compile a list of must do's and must see's. Buy yerself a refedex (a-z) and get out there and do it yourself!

All the info you need is out there for free - you certainly do not need to pay $1200 for it!

As for naming the company, I personally would. Give others the heads up to avoid them!

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; Nov 21st 2007 at 6:59 pm.
Old May 1st 2008, 12:54 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pomster
Definitely not worth the money!... Complete and utter waste of space.
Some good reports here... but are people genuinely not willing to name the companies involved? After all, it does look like there are some relocation agents that do a good job, but without knowing names (whether for good or bad), it's impossible to make a judgement.

As someone pointed out on another thread: you can do a lot of what a relocation agent would do using the Internet... but that becomes impossible when you see a number of reports (again, good or bad) which don't name the company. I can't see anything in the site rules that would prevent this; surely it's one of the good points of BE? There are many, many threads naming and praising/shaming migration agents and shipping companies.

Also: it looks like there are multiple levels of service. Certainly I have no time for or interest in a one-day orientation service; I'm happy to do that myself. But I might well be interested in a more comprehensive package that includes decent help with property rental or negotiation with schools. So it seems to me that when judging relocation services in general, one needs to bear in mind how the price matches what they do, and not condemn the whole industry on the basis that one particular agency is overpricing one particular service

Cheers
Ben
Old May 1st 2008, 11:00 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Relocation agency,s are designed for the busy executive, with the Blonde "trophy"wife who is too stupid to do any thing for her self.
SAVE yer money and get off yer arse................mm
Easy tiger!!!

I used a relocation agency!!! Firstly, it was a mobility service provided by my company as part of my package so no expense to myself. Secondly it did offer a tour of the areas but it was in conjunction with home viewings, far easier than trying to do that on a bus and not knowing the area, and as you probably know home viewings have set windows of viewing so an independent relocation agent can get you viewings outside of those times which is excellent. My wife had 3 days with an agent viewing the eastern Beaches, Manly and Balmain (all Sydney for those not familiar) and it was such a helpful experience. Thirdly, blonde trophy wife is such a ignorant statement from what seems a very jealous point of view. My wife is neither blonde, trophy or stupid but is alone during the day with our 3 yr old son in a new country with no transport and has never been away from the rest of her immediate family before in her life, ANY assistance or friendly advice /help offered by my company was and is gratefully received.
I personally would not pay $1200 for one days tour but the service offered by my company was an excellent one, the relocation company also assisted in sorting out and checking my lease and set up the utilities. And, the biggie, it was free!!