British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Relocating Interstate NSW > QLD. Best way to go about it??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/relocating-interstate-nsw-qld-best-way-go-about-906485/)

Ramigojag Dec 3rd 2017 5:12 am

Relocating Interstate NSW > QLD. Best way to go about it???

Hi all,

I've recently emigrated from the UK to Aus, my parents are originally Aussie coming from Brisbane.

I currently live in Sydney, but have long felt the draw to QLD specifically: Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Fraser Coast.

What is the best way to go about beginning to relocate? How have people done this in the past?

Do you move first then look for a job. Is it common being recruited interstate? Am i at a dissadvantage applying for a job interstate compared to a more local candidate or is it a pretty standard procedure.

And also looking for any information from people who have lived around the Sydney metro area and either of the places listed for my desired location: Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and the Fraser Coast.

Which do you prefer and why? etc.

Thanks

goldchoccycoin Dec 4th 2017 5:29 am

Re: Relocating Interstate NSW > QLD. Best way to go about it???

Hello, it may depend on your industry but we recruit people from interstate all the time. I'd get applying and see what comes up. I'd then choose where I want to live because commuting can be a nightmare in some areas. If I could live anywhere, I'd live on the Sunshine Coast. Unfortunately no jobs in my skill set up there so i just head up every second weekend or so.

Best of luck.

B1K3R Dec 4th 2017 5:31 am

Hi mate,

A buddy of mine moved from Sydney to Brisbane a year ago and this is how he did it:

1. first he flew to Brisbane and stayed driving around for a couple of days to see/check the areas he likes
2. at the same time, he also managed to organise a few interviews and I think he managed to go to a few in 5 days!
3. he then managed to secure a job from of the interviews, it was a 6 month contract as he works in IT
4. then he came up again for a couple of days to see as many houses as he could and rented a house
5. then he went back, packed all his stuff, rented a truck and drove up here with all the stuff

As for which place, it depends on many things, mainly on jobs and if you prefer to be near the big city or not...

carcajou Dec 5th 2017 9:09 am

I would recommend what B1K3R suggested. I am moving next week, not interstate but from one regional area to another, and that was more or less what I did - made a trip out so employers could see me face to face and scope out the job market that way. Reaction was positive, and then my wife came out and she got an offer right away, so we made the leap.

Not a whole lot of houses available, but we did find one we really liked, and were able to negotiate holding it for us for a few months until we could move (due to our previous work commitments), and paid 50% rent during that time.

As for the areas you mentioned in Queensland can I put out a word of caution to you about the Fraser Coast. We had it in the back of our minds if we ever headed East, but apparently it is full of retirees and has a very, very low socioeconomic situation. It's not just a smaller and more northerly version of the Sunshine Coast.

Ramigojag Dec 6th 2017 10:36 am

Useful information. Thanks people were not looking at doing anything for probably 6 months or so.

So should have plenty of time to work something out