fresh start
new adventure
healthy environment
clean cities
bigger houses for your money

pickletheplacid
Old May 1st 2003, 8:23 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons for emigrating...

Originally posted by Houdini
That'll be 20million immigrants who've gone through a stringent immigration process to access their future contribution to the country. Kind of like here - not!
eermm,
i thought oz's total population was under 20 million?
Old May 1st 2003, 8:39 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by h garrett
eermm,
i thought oz's total population was under 20 million?
As of today: 19,846,154. How sad is that? My posting a statistic that is.
Old May 1st 2003, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Houdini at home is an unknown quantity at this point

Do some work you sad statistic poster you.
Mrs H xx
Old May 1st 2003, 8:48 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Houdini at home
Do some work you sad statistic poster you.
Mrs H xx
Shut it slaaag! And make sure my dinner's ready when I get home!
Old May 1st 2003, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by etlniwd
Join HSBC - no monthly fees, no ATM fees, who needs a chequebook these days anyway?

You can claim most of it back

Not as expensive as the UK

have no kids so wouldn't know about this

True

You can have a five year one if you ask for it. Even the UK ones only last 10 years these days.

This is not true - it's just something that has been talked about. In the UK you also have to pay for an ambulance if you're involved in an RTA.

Not true at all. Most Australians were born here. If you use that attitude then the UK has 57 million immigrants.

Most business here will require a cheque account, most of our payments in QlD still need to be paid by Cheque, small business here is not as advanced as the Uk. Most suppliers would only know how to deal with cash or cheques and thats it. As for the Levy on the elec bills, according to a letter from my local gvt it is due to start July 1. I can understand health matters here may not be too grim if young and single, however raising kids is a different matter, my $140 asthma drug bills were scary when the kids were younger. My Doctor now charges $45 a visit and I get 24 back, so having a family does change the picture.
Old May 1st 2003, 11:36 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
Anyone know of a place in/around Brisbane where I can camp and not see anyone? - you require a permit from rangers for camping in designated areas. Anyone know of a beach that I can go four wheel driving that's not like a highway? I went beach fishing in the fourbe two weekends ago - you had to look both ways to cross the beach to get to the ocean - like a major road (Bribie) - for anyone who was thinking of four wheel driving here - I can't remember who it was now , the beach is pretty easy at Bribie for novices like myself, but saying that on our a way off it we passed a 4wd Ute which was bogged down in the wet with a rising tide. Didn't stop - someone else was already there giving him a pull.
The only way not to see people in Brisbane is take a long hike, take to your feet over national park like Noosa- walk a couple of miles . Anywhere where you can drive including beaches you will see people, and lots of them

Unless you live way out of the cities - you will be bump into people. - Australia is a very big place , but most people live in the pockets around the coast. You need to travel to places like the North, the outback etc for you to have real space.

Agree with interested - surfers is very ugly, and the Gold coast beaches are flat and uninteresting - ugly. Noosa way is far prettier. I would be most disappointed if I was one of these people who paid for a holiday of a lifetime to Gold Coast/surfers from another country.

Australia is a huge, huge country - some places are totally different to others, regarding people, countryside, and weather. you may settle in one part , say Brisbane and absolutely hate it - but another part of Aus may be more suited to you. To me Australia should be split up and called the country of Brisbane , the country of Tasmania, the country of Melbourne etc - there are huge differences in landscape, weather, lifestyle, people etc. I find it funny when people who want to emigrate saying Australia is this and that - how can you compare say Melbourne to Brisbane , Or Tasmania to Sydney - both have huge differences in their weather, and landscape, lifestyle etc. You can't class Aus in a general sweeping statement - it's like classing the european countries as one.

cheers
I like nothing better than throwing the swag in the Nissan patrol and spending a couple of days up inthe Flinders ranges ' on a clear crystal night you can hear and see the universe,in all it.s glory , unless you have experienced this ,you will "as long as your arse points to the ground " , never under stand this country, and realise why the native people hold it in such reverence, come here by all means , but a least give the place a decent go , if you come here looking ,with an open mind you will find what you are looking for...............MM
Old May 1st 2003, 12:16 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Imagine you'd like the Pilbara a lot. Nights you can touch the stars. Days you can see forever. Deep gorges of red and black banded iron stone. Sinusoidal creeks of green and white snappy gum. Water holes shaded under steep cliffs. Aboriginal petrogliphs that make you wonder what planet you have beamed down to.
Old May 1st 2003, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
You will like Australia then, monthly fees to run a bank account, fees for withdrawing at ATM, taxes on every (yes every) transaction if you dare to own a chequebook, $40+ to visit your GP, expensive prescriptions, constantly paying money to the (state) school for every little thing, including stationery (no, really), lower tax bands, higher marginal rates of tax, paying to renew your driving licence every three years, a levy on your electricity bill to pay for an ambulance service (no, really). Oh and I'm afraid its full of 20 million immigrants, enjoy!

Wow, Oz really is an extention of the USA!!!! Ditto in Florida for all of the above things except you have to pay every 7 years to renew your license and the bills for utilities come EVERY month, not quarterly (that was a shocker I can tell you!).

I should fit right in being used to stealth taxes!

Can't wait to say G'day!
Old May 1st 2003, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

surfmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wow, Thanks for the feedback!

I have to say I wasn't expecting such a great response, so thank you to everyone.

I definitley agree that Australia has so much more to offer than the UK.

I want space, better weather, an outdoor, more laid-back lifestyle, exciting scenery, surfing, and interesting wildlife!

I'm very interested to hear the attitude toward Brits in Florida after 9/11. A while back I was desperate to move to Florida, but after 9/11 I thought it would be different and couldn't live amongst that paranoia.

Thanks again everyone, and keep em coming!
Old May 1st 2003, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wow, Thanks for the feedback!

Originally posted by surfmonkey
I have to say I wasn't expecting such a great response, so thank you to everyone.

I definitley agree that Australia has so much more to offer than the UK.

I want space, better weather, an outdoor, more laid-back lifestyle, exciting scenery, surfing, and interesting wildlife!

I'm very interested to hear the attitude toward Brits in Florida after 9/11. A while back I was desperate to move to Florida, but after 9/11 I thought it would be different and couldn't live amongst that paranoia.

Thanks again everyone, and keep em coming!
Hey Surfmonkey

As a Brit in Florida I am so used to the OTT responses to everything I generally just ignore it now. Occasionally it just reminds me that despite speaking the same language (ha) that we are fundamentally different from the Yanks on many levels. I have seen so many Brit/Yank marriages fail due to the wildy different expectations each other has. I'm afraid that us Brits are so very down-to-earth and the Yanks love their Disneyland version of life that it is hard to find any middle ground.

And, of course, the 9/11 thing has made us all think twice. I realise that they are only trying to tighten up an immigration system that was lacking in the first place but some of the steps they have taken have only succeeded in pushing some Brits out. Florida has 500,000 Brits living here but I predict that in a few short years that number will have halved, it just isn't worth the aggro anymore.

So I am looking forward to moving to a country that is MORE like Britain than some of you who will experience homesickness....I haven't set foot in the UK in almost 8 years so it seems like a past life to me anyway!

Good luck to everyone and hope I haven't upset anyone, after all opinions are like a***holes - we've all got one!

Wannabe Wallaby
Old May 1st 2003, 8:06 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Imagine you'd like the Pilbara a lot. Nights you can touch the stars. Days you can see forever. Deep gorges of red and black banded iron stone. Sinusoidal creeks of green and white snappy gum. Water holes shaded under steep cliffs. Aboriginal petrogliphs that make you wonder what planet you have beamed down to.
Yes a great part of the country , but the flinders is only 3.5 hrs from Adelaide , nothing like quick trip for attitude re-adjustment..........MM
Old May 2nd 2003, 12:21 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Houdini
That'll be 20million immigrants who've gone through a stringent immigration process to assess their future contribution to the country. Kind of like here - not!

The UK sets a much higher standard for immigration, most coming here would not be allowed into the UK. Immigration from UK to Oz improves the average intelligence of both countries.
Old May 30th 2003, 5:34 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You will live in an over crowded suburb in a faceless estate dreaming of the English countryside .
Your work will expect you to spend more time at it because working hours are more here and wages less .
Get a life and wake up you require an education , theres niave and stupid guess which one you are?

Oooh just saw this. I will NOT be living in a suburb....why on earth would I move from London just to live in a suburb? I plan on living in the Australian countryside. Not bloody Joondalup...been there and it IS the arse end of the planet. My uncle use to live here...what a totally souless place it is.... I can understand why you want to get out.

Have worked in Australia before on WHV and at 5pm everybody was gone from the office (KPMG in Sydney...not some crappy office in Joondalup CBD).

Have got a life thanks, and yes I'm awake. Yes I probably do require an education...nowt wrong with trying to better one's self. Naive? Stupid? Not me. You're the one who wants to move back to the UK.
Old May 30th 2003, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a very reasurring thought for people that are intending to settle in the Joondalup area.
My brother in law lives in one of the suburbs surrounding Joondalup and he thinks it is wonderful and definitely not the a**e end of the planet as you describe it.

Originally posted by Vee
Oooh just saw this. I will NOT be living in a suburb....why on earth would I move from London just to live in a suburb? I plan on living in the Australian countryside. Not bloody Joondalup...been there and it IS the arse end of the planet. My uncle use to live here...what a totally souless place it is.... I can understand why you want to get out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.