Reload this Page >

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:05 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Originally Posted by northernbird
I love living here but knowing what I know now I would NOT move to Australia in the current climate with the funds I had back then and my husband earns a huge salary compared to a lot of new migrants.
No, I wouldn't make the move currently either.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
No, I wouldn't make the move currently either.
Me neither . . . not if I was having to exchange GBP to $ . . . doing that would just make Australia seem really expensive permanently . . . when really it isn't.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spartacus
Me neither . . . not if I was having to exchange GBP to $ . . . doing that would just make Australia seem really expensive permanently . . . when really it isn't.
Dead right.
When I arrived the exchange rate was about 2.3 and the cash I had behind me was enough to get me established in a similar sort of set-up as my life in the UK. Now, at 1.5, I would be taking a, financially, backward step of about 10 years. No way would I be taking that on.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Nor would I, and nor would my wife....move that is..

(I only read the thread to pick up the latest witticism that Sparty might have left for us...)
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:38 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

On same conditions, me neither.

Company that brought me over would have to cough up a much higher signing on fee for want of a better expression.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 6:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
On same conditions, me neither.

Company that brought me over would have to cough up a much higher signing on fee for want of a better expression.
Ditto.
Now if I had very little to lose in the UK, then yeah, I would still make the move now, but not if I had a house to sell in the UK. Just about everything seems to be against a move from the UK, at least financially, at the moment.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto.
Now if I had very little to lose in the UK, then yeah, I would still make the move now, but not if I had a house to sell in the UK. Just about everything seems to be against a move from the UK, at least financially, at the moment.
when we moved over and wanted to change money in 2007, i remember grumbling because it was only at 2.2 at the time. We didnt have a house to sell, just cash. We sent a small amount.

Then there was the spike where it went back up to about 2.7 where we sent the balance over, in 2008 and then its been downhill from then onwards!

I personally wouldnt be disuaded from a move overseas, but I would like to be earning AUD as soon as possible, and I would be inclined to leave all money and assets in the UK. Otherwise it would be a bitter pill to swallow. If I were doing it now I would send one of us over to set up shop and then move the other(s).

The easier it is to start earning and thinking in dollars then the cost of living wont seem quite so horrific, and it becomes easier to hunt out bargains. Thats not to say that I dont find certain things here expensive, but like the UK there are counter-balances and offsets.

Currently instead of a hot bikini girl on the Tourism Australia commercials saying "where the bloody hell are you" they should have one saying "convert AUD amounts back to GBP at your peril, mofo's!"
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:09 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

That's the problem with the 'want to be in Oz' gang. They comment that the UK is 'going down the pan' but don't realise it's taken their spending power with it.....
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:12 am
Just Joined

murwullambah will become famous soon enough

What you have to ask yourself is is it better to be in paradise with little money or in that hole they call "UK", definately a better life for your kids, less hoodie idiots and drugies, more opertunity, lots of sun, which always makes you feel better. At the end of the day you will always regret it if you dont give it a go.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by murwullambah
What you have to ask yourself is is it better to be in paradise with little money or in that hole they call "UK", definately a better life for your kids, less hoodie idiots and drugies, more opertunity, lots of sun, which always makes you feel better. At the end of the day you will always regret it if you dont give it a go.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Constructive as usual then!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Constructive as usual then!
only where idiots are concerned
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
That's the problem with the 'want to be in Oz' gang. They comment that the UK is 'going down the pan' but don't realise it's taken their spending power with it.....
Exactly and I bet most of them have never spent any real time in Australia to see just how corrupt it is over there but with better weather.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by murwullambah
Have you ever being to Australia. Regarded as one of the drug centres of the world. As for opportunity - there are lots of people who arent in mining who are losing their jobs at a fair old rate that might disagree with you.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Dead right.
When I arrived the exchange rate was about 2.3 and the cash I had behind me was enough to get me established in a similar sort of set-up as my life in the UK. Now, at 1.5, I would be taking a, financially, backward step of about 10 years. No way would I be taking that on.
Around the time we moved, we reckoned that we had in some ways gained 10 years financially by making the move...

Originally Posted by isgraham
Exactly and I bet most of them have never spent any real time in Australia to see just how corrupt it is over there but with better weather.
As I've alluded to before, if the idiots get their free sun and a break from the cess-pit lot that was their UK life, then for them, it's a winner. I've always said that some do well, and have every reason to be happier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.