Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:58 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

It's still worth doing
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:38 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed, for some it is and for others it isn't.

Originally Posted by paulry
It's still worth doing
Old Jul 26th 2011, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

It's still worth doing
2am fridge raiding party?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 11:03 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Indeed, for some it is and for others it isn't.
That'll always be true.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
2am fridge raiding party?
Actually it was. Just not all of the nice foods that I would have preferred to be tucking into
Old Jul 26th 2011, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually it was. Just not all of the nice foods that I would have preferred to be tucking into
Yeah, yeah, 'course not. We believe you... honest.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

I've been reading threads like this for a few years now and 3 years ago i listened to them and we didn't take the job offer up and stuck it out in the UK thinking we would b better off, guess what hubby lost his job, can't find another one, I'm earning the same as i was 3 years ago as a nurse and we still live in our tiny 2 bed rented flat BUT rent has gone up, food has gone up, fuel has gone up, gas and electric has gone up etc etc.

That pair of trousers you buy online from Mand S that cost £20 or $35 dollars might seem like a bargain and cheap compared to Oz prices and as a proportion of your weekly wage, but for me that is expensive.

We have decided (and in the process) of moving to Townsville, sometime next year. Last year I earnt £29K including shift allowances here and my basic salary will be $70K before shift allowances etc (which are far more generous than the UK) we will have enough money to set up with once we get there and i will be starting work pretty quickly. I don't feel we have anything to lose by making the move, no home to sell, no massive amount of capital to exchange with a poor exchange rate, we may aswell give it a go

and I'm not that partial to bananas
Old Jul 28th 2011, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
I've been reading threads like this for a few years now and 3 years ago i listened to them and we didn't take the job offer up and stuck it out in the UK thinking we would b better off, guess what hubby lost his job, can't find another one, I'm earning the same as i was 3 years ago as a nurse and we still live in our tiny 2 bed rented flat BUT rent has gone up, food has gone up, fuel has gone up, gas and electric has gone up etc etc.

That pair of trousers you buy online from Mand S that cost £20 or $35 dollars might seem like a bargain and cheap compared to Oz prices and as a proportion of your weekly wage, but for me that is expensive.

We have decided (and in the process) of moving to Townsville, sometime next year. Last year I earnt £29K including shift allowances here and my basic salary will be $70K before shift allowances etc (which are far more generous than the UK) we will have enough money to set up with once we get there and i will be starting work pretty quickly. I don't feel we have anything to lose by making the move, no home to sell, no massive amount of capital to exchange with a poor exchange rate, we may aswell give it a go

Go for it!
Old Jul 28th 2011, 9:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Blasphemer alert - cancel her visa.

Actually if you could sneak a few nanas in your handbag you will be able to use them for a nice deposit on a house.

But don't let that beagle catch you. He smells them at 100 paces.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 10:06 am
Banned

...What's the worst that can happen?

Go for it!

All the very best of luck to you
Old Jul 28th 2011, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Great post. Go for it!
Old Jul 28th 2011, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

Bananas will probably be back down to $1/kg by summer anyway
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JAMFC
Bananas will probably be back down to $1/kg by summer anyway
On the popular topic of fruits again. Has anyone seen those monster pineapples that're on sale lately? The biggest I've ever seen! They're the easiest I've ever known to de-peel and chop up as well
Old Jul 28th 2011, 5:09 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

If I was in your position I wouldn't think twice. Go for it!
Old Jul 28th 2011, 7:56 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you guys' fascination with the price of bananas over the past year or two (or longer) slightly deranged, but currently (being in Sydney) I see that they are still talking fodder on the bloody TV - twice in the past 3 days I have seen the price of bananas on news channels.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I thought you guys' fascination with the price of bananas over the past year or two (or longer) slightly deranged, but currently (being in Sydney) I see that they are still talking fodder on the bloody TV - twice in the past 3 days I have seen the price of bananas on news channels.
to be fair, it has allowed both A Current Affair and Today Tonight (and 60 minutes too, I've noticed) to increase their volume of total available stories. The list is now:

Un-Australian mail order scamming rorts
Dodgy tennent/landlords rorts
Petrol station and supermarket rorts
Telcos are ripping you off rorts
bananas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.