Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Originally Posted by ldticp
I Currently pay £570p/m on a mortgage which will be paid off before I go, I'll then be renting this house a 3 bed semi out valued at £750p/m. On a 2.2 conversion thats $1650. I'm looking at renting in Brissy at a $350/p/w basis which would total $1400 so actually cheaper than to rent my own house in the UK for a much larger house.

I just hope people can be a bit more realistic about the conversion rates and actual costs. To run my house costs per year plus a few other costs for you to get an idea with dollars at 2.2 next to it:

Gas/electric: £2000 ..$4400
Council tax: £1450..$3190
Water: £500..$1100
Phone/broadband/tv with Virgin: £840..$1848

Cinema ticket for 1 adult in Bradford/UK: £7.50.. $16.50
2 litres milk: £1.65.. $3.63
1 loaf of bread: £1.40 .. $3.08
1 bus ticket 5 miles £2.40.. $5.28
1 can of coke 70p..$1.54
2.7kg pork leg £9..$19.8
KFC wicked zinger meal £4.99..$10.98
1 litre diesel £1.38..$3.03
400g cheese £2.50..$5.50

Can anyone check these costs and tell me how they actually compare in Oz to the UK, these are actual prices I have paid in the last week.
OK, here goes...

Just gone onto woolies online and got these prices (these are the brands I always buy):

Homebrand Milk Lite Bottle 2L - $2
Homebrand White Sandwich Bread 650g - $1
Coca Cola Drink Can 375ml - $1.16
Woolworths Select Cheese Extra Tasty Block 500g - $6.08

they didn't have a pork leg joint online!? But I always go the wholesale butchers for meat anyway. Can fill my freezer draw up for under $100 and it lasts me all month.

For me, I rent so housing costs are definitely cheaper than owning.
Gas - last bill was $70 (2 gas fires, gas water heater, gas cooker)
Electric: I have solar, 6 months bill was $29
Council tax: - don't pay them as a renter
Water: - only pay for usage, but haven't had a charge yet.
Phone and ADSL2+ - $79.95 per month. I have 200 GB plan, but don't use the phone much at all so usually only have $10 of calls max on top of that.
Mobile iPhone with 3 is $59 per month, all calls covered in plan

Cinema ticket for 1 adult to watch 3d film is $18

Bus ticket - no idea, I don't catch the bus!

Petrol is currently 131.5 per litre at the station across the street.

Don't know how much KFC is, don't eat it often.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
It's different for those of you who transferred their savings around 2.5, used them and a new job to purchase a house, car and start again. For those coming sub the pound's fall through 2 it means taking a huge financial hit if they transfer that lump sum over or feeling the pain with every quid withdrawn from the ATM and spent here. Even if you get a job paying 3x your ex-UK salary it still means you have to start from scratch again as you don't have that nest egg of funds in Australia.

I think anyone coming over now is mad, unless they are aware that the money they have coming in from a job already lined up at 2.5x the UK salary, is ALL they will be spending - ie, no mortgage, no capital assets purchase unless they are prepared to return to the very bottom of the ladder.
Absolutely - the one-off shot that people don't enjoy now.
There was a time when moving to Australia could buy you time and breathing space and made it actually worthwhile for a lot of people even if they realised it was not quite what they had hoped for.

Like I say - Australia is for niche arrivals...like you even, ;-) although I know you are not so impressed...
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wendy
OK, here goes...

Just gone onto woolies online and got these prices (these are the brands I always buy):

Homebrand Milk Lite Bottle 2L - $2
Homebrand White Sandwich Bread 650g - $1
Coca Cola Drink Can 375ml - $1.16
Woolworths Select Cheese Extra Tasty Block 500g - $6.08

they didn't have a pork leg joint online!? But I always go the wholesale butchers for meat anyway. Can fill my freezer draw up for under $100 and it lasts me all month.

For me, I rent so housing costs are definitely cheaper than owning.
Gas - last bill was $70 (2 gas fires, gas water heater, gas cooker)
Electric: I have solar, 6 months bill was $29
Council tax: - don't pay them as a renter
Water: - only pay for usage, but haven't had a charge yet.
Phone and ADSL2+ - $79.95 per month. I have 200 GB plan, but don't use the phone much at all so usually only have $10 of calls max on top of that.
Mobile iPhone with 3 is $59 per month, all calls covered in plan

Cinema ticket for 1 adult to watch 3d film is $18

Bus ticket - no idea, I don't catch the bus!

Petrol is currently 131.5 per litre at the station across the street.

Don't know how much KFC is, don't eat it often.
You must eat some kak bread. Decent ones are normally $4. Coke is 1.16. How much is a can in the UK?

I got a snickers bar yesterday and that was $1.67. Is it a pound for one in the UK...

But anyway, I am sure readers get the picture.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:22 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
You must eat some kak bread. Decent ones are normally $4. Coke is 1.16. How much is a can in the UK?

I got a snickers bar yesterday and that was $1.67. Is it a pound for one in the UK...

Nah. Decent bread is $6 a brace. If you're paying more than $3 for a loaf then you're over paying.

Snickers, 17c cheaper in the UK. Bargain
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd

I don't eat much bread myself, buy it for my son. I get that brand because it fits in his toaster at work

If I buy bread for me, I get it from the baker anyway...cheaper and fresher
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:24 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Just realised. I used to say bread and milk were two things that used to stand out as expensive here but that's changed. They're both cheaper (in absolute numbers) than they were in 2004.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:36 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Absolutely - the one-off shot that people don't enjoy now.
There was a time when moving to Australia could buy you time and breathing space and made it actually worthwhile for a lot of people even if they realised it was not quite what they had hoped for.

Like I say - Australia is for niche arrivals...like you even, ;-) although I know you are not so impressed...
I transferred some cash at 2.6 but not enough. Still spending at 1.5 and unable to find work other than the stuff I used to do for pocket money when I was a Uni student. That means 4 quid for a loaf of decent bread (the seed and multigran stuff), 6 quid for a block of vintage cheddar etc! I can afford it but I resent it - could have gone for residency in Monaco or a Caribbean island for the same cost! At 2.5 a stint of a couple of years in regional Qld seemed worth it for Aussie PR but at 1.5 it's uncomfortable and with hindsight a mistake. Ah well.... the sun's out and the ocean's blue
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:44 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xzibit
We've just got ours too. $170. We don't have gas, so electric for heating, cooking and water heating. Stupidly expensive, but then it has been cold. Should be down to about $100 or less next quarter.
Hang on... your electricty bill is $170 a quarter and that covers everything?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rambi
Nah. Decent bread is $6 a brace. If you're paying more than $3 for a loaf then you're over paying.

Snickers, 17c cheaper in the UK. Bargain
Check out the price difference of Boddingtons 440ml cans between Tesco and Dan Murphy's. It's inducing.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ldticp
Gas/electric: £2000 ..$4400
Council tax: £1450..$3190
Water: £500..$1100
Phone/broadband/tv with Virgin: £840..$1848

Can anyone check these costs and tell me how they actually compare in Oz to the UK, these are actual prices I have paid in the last week.
Gas/electric: £2000 ..$4400 Mine $3380
Council tax: £1450..$3190 Mine $1352
Water: £500..$1100 Mine $1820
Phone/broadband/tv with Virgin: £840..$1848 Mine $1660
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Check out the price difference of Boddingtons 440ml cans between Tesco and Dan Murphy's. It's inducing.
indeed!

Thank god I drink lager!

Tooheys here is $45ish for a 24 pack, UK it's 45 pounds! Another http://www.thedrinkshop.com/pages/ba...date=2011-7-28
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:01 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is about that much per month, I'm not surecwhat we could do to make it $170 a quarter other than literally turning everything off.

Hang on... your electricty bill is $170 a quarter and that covers everything?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:11 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Boddington's is inducing

Another beer that should never have left its home town. Great ads though

I can imagine it's much more expensive in Dan's
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chris955
Ours is about that much per month, I'm not surecwhat we could do to make it $170 a quarter other than literally turning everything off.
Mine is $130 a fortnight !

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jul 24th 2011 at 2:16 am.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rambi
Boddington's is inducing

Another beer that should never have left its home town. Great ads though

I can imagine it's much more expensive in Dan's
24cans in Tesco will cost you 20 quid.... or $85 in Dan's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.