Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'The Real Australia'

'The Real Australia'

Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

_Australia will become famous soon enough
Default 'The Real Australia'

Hi, when i go on my Working Holiday Visa (WHV) later this year, well im trying to decide where to go, and as i have never been to Australia, it is more guessing and reading websites than anything else. I was hoping to visit 'The Real Australia', not like the commercial center's e.g. Sydney, but like say Alice Springs (obvious i wont visit there in the heat of the summer if i decide to go there.) Any suggestions on places to go?

P.S. i know people say it changes when you get there on a WHV, but im the organised type, and i like everything to be planned out in advance.

Thanks
Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:01 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 'The Real Australia'

If you want to visit the Real Australia, stay away from the sprawling suburbs that are growing by the day.

Go visit Sydney, that moment when you stand on the Opera House steps and gaze at the bridge...I really felt like I was in Oz then. Also, deffinitely go visit the Blue Mountains. They are awesome and beautiful.

The rural parts of Victoria are wonderful and The Dandenong Ranges are stunning.

We drove up from VIC to NSW along the coast as much as possible. Fabulous.

Have fun discovering!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I spent most of my time on my WHV in the 'real' Australia even when with family.

I didn't even see a new estate or the worse of the sprawl until I came back to live but remember hearing stories on this site in the intervening period wondering exactly where they were(!)
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:36 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I didn't even see a new estate or the worse of the sprawl until I came back to live but remember hearing stories on this site in the intervening period wondering exactly where they were(!)
We owe you a visit...come and see us, then you'll see suburbia at it's worst!

Your little piece of paradise compared to this....no contest!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by _Australia
Hi, when i go on my Working Holiday Visa (WHV) later this year, well im trying to decide where to go, and as i have never been to Australia, it is more guessing and reading websites than anything else. I was hoping to visit 'The Real Australia', not like the commercial center's e.g. Sydney, but like say Alice Springs (obvious i wont visit there in the heat of the summer if i decide to go there.) Any suggestions on places to go?

P.S. i know people say it changes when you get there on a WHV, but im the organised type, and i like everything to be planned out in advance.

Thanks
Hello i am an aussie born and bred...~*~...i am sure Australia will welcome you with open arms.

What kind of work will you be looking for/ doing in Australia..? If you would like to give me an idea i might be able to suggest some places. I have lived mainly on the eastern coast of NSW and Qld, so may be able to give some pointers in that area.

Best Wishes Maple~Leaf
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Darwin felt like the real Australia. Tasmania - esp Lake Clare and down to Port Arthur.

Clare Valley in SA.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Thanks

Kalgoorlie in WA. Great place. In the middle of no-wheresville and 45c to boot.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
Hello i am an aussie born and bred...~*~...i am sure Australia will welcome you with open arms.

What kind of work will you be looking for/ doing in Australia..? If you would like to give me an idea i might be able to suggest some places. I have lived mainly on the eastern coast of NSW and Qld, so may be able to give some pointers in that area.

Best Wishes Maple~Leaf
How's Okanagan?

I once hitchhiked through the valley picking fruit in Osoyoos, sleeping in someone's garden in Penticton and avoiding some kind old bloke who gave me a lift but drove so slowly that I had to make excuses and get out. Whereupon I got another lift for 30 minutes or so, overtook the old guy, got out and promptly got picked up again by him north of Vernon.

The whole scenario then repeated itself but this time I hid behind a signpost when I saw him coming.

Loved BC though.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:59 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Well you could:
1) Come and do my boring-as-batshit IT job so I can take some time off and head for Unreal Australia
2) Get up at some ungodly hour each day with my 2 year-old daughter
3) Do some mowing occasionally
4) Try to keep the wife happy (sexual congress not necessary)
5) Spend most time outdoors batting off things that will sting you
6) Head for my local hotel where there will be no end of authentic Australiana to get into a fight with for no particular reason

Don't get much more real than that
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:37 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Well you could:
1) Come and do my boring-as-batshit IT job so I can take some time off and head for Unreal Australia
6) Head for my local hotel where there will be no end of authentic Australiana to get into a fight with for no particular reason

Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:39 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Blue Mountains definitely. Lots of 'pioneers' moved up here when Australia was being settled and people had very hard times. This pioneer feeling still exists here amongst people. I'd consider the BM's to be a part of real Australia, but also Coober Pedy, and then Northern Territory area, like Katherine for example.
They're all places I've meet true battling Aussies who have a genuine spirit of survival and pioneering...
There are so many facets that make up what the 'real' Australia is, that you'd be hard pressed to visit them all imo.

Have a great time though and if you're here, look me up. We always have beer in the fridge and a spare bed for weary travellers.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:40 am
Account Closed

Well you could:

Whinger.

Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:14 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iPom
Whinger.

Got me in one, 2 days after my Citizenship Ceremony you won't see my arse for dust
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:20 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TraceyW
If you want to visit the Real Australia, stay away from the sprawling suburbs that are growing by the day.

Go visit Sydney, that moment when you stand on the Opera House steps and gaze at the bridge...I really felt like I was in Oz then. Also, deffinitely go visit the Blue Mountains. They are awesome and beautiful.

The rural parts of Victoria are wonderful and The Dandenong Ranges are stunning.

We drove up from VIC to NSW along the coast as much as possible. Fabulous.

Have fun discovering!
Have to agree with you about NSW we went camping there in echuca and denqulin when we lived in melbourne those little town's really are lovely!!!

Also great ocean road loved drives along there!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:28 am
Account Closed

Got me in one, 2 days after my Citizenship Ceremony you won't see my arse for dust

Can't see it for dust already.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.