Racism in OZ

Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:49 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in OZ

"Paki" is an offensive term in the UK because it originated as an offensive term, used by the skinheads and other extreme right wing morons to put down the immigrants in the 60's and 70's and convince themselves that they were superior. "Paki" is not offensive in Australia because the same conditions don't apply (except in cricket of course).
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
"Paki" is an offensive term in the UK because it originated as an offensive term, used by the skinheads and other extreme right wing morons to put down the immigrants in the 60's and 70's and convince themselves that they were superior. "Paki" is not offensive in Australia because the same conditions don't apply (except in cricket of course).
So Pakistani peoiple are not allowed to be offended by it in Australia? If a Pakistani person finds it offensive, it is offensive. I think it's similar to me being called a Paddy. I find it offensive. It's often not said in an offensive way but that doesn't cure to word of all offence. If it is used to describe an object (that has no association with Ireland), then it's not offensive.

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 4th 2012 at 4:55 am. Reason: fixing the quote marks
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Racism in OZ

Originally Posted by eddie007
In the biblical sense? Or made into a nice soup?
Nothing sinister, I just like turtles, that's all.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by knockoff nige

So Pakistani peoiple are not allowed to be offended by it in Australia? If a Pakistani person finds it offensive, it is offensive. I think it's similar to me being called a Paddy. I find it offensive. It's often not said in an offensive way but that doesn't cure to word of all offence. If it is used to describe an object (that has no association with Ireland), then it's not offensive.
Foreigners do not get to set the linguistic definitions in Australia, they will conform to the standards here. If they don't like it - tough.

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 4th 2012 at 4:55 am. Reason: fixing the quote marks
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:16 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
A Pakistani who comes to Australia from Bradford would probably object to being referred to as a Paki: one who came from Pakistan possibly wouldn't object. It all depends on what you perceive the intention of the speaker to be - the point I was making originally was that in the UK anyone using the term would be correctly perceived as being insulting, whereas most people in Australia would not take it that way.

If you don't like being called Paddy or Paki, then say so and unless the speaker is deliberately trying to insult you he will stop using the term.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
A Pakistani who comes to Australia from Bradford would probably object to being referred to as a Paki: one who came from Pakistan possibly wouldn't object. It all depends on what you perceive the intention of the speaker to be - the point I was making originally was that in the UK anyone using the term would be correctly perceived as being insulting, whereas most people in Australia would not take it that way.

If you don't like being called Paddy or Paki, then say so and unless the speaker is deliberately trying to insult you he will stop using the term.
And how would you know if a Pakistani is to be offended by the term or not, or whether he has travelled to England before and being attacked with that word? I think it's fair to say that if you aware of the term being offensive, then think whether you should user it or not.

I think this is a really silly point to be arguing about.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Foreigners do not get to set the linguistic definitions in Australia, they will conform to the standards here. If they don't like it - tough.
That's quite silly.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 1:17 am
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

I am just so sick of this international conspiracy of attacking Australia.

I have met Taiwanese people who believed Australians use to practice cannibalism.

I have met Malaysians who believe they will be shot if they walk on someone's property.

I have met a Polish guy who claimed Australia had slavery until the 1970s(despite the fact that Australia has never had slavery).

I have met Pakistanis who truly believed it was an Australian cultural practice to have sex with Dogs.

And I have met plenty of people from several countries who are shocked to find out that Australian women have the vote - despite the fact the colony of South Australia was second in the world to give women the vote in 1894(NZ in 1893) and that women got the Federal vote in 1902.

There really does seem to be some kind of organised international conspiracy spreading pure lies about Australians.
mr gumpy
did you meet all of these people in the same bar?
Old Dec 4th 2012, 1:21 am

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chochobnob
I'm a black Londoner living in Sydney. Been here for 3 fun years.

Sydney is OK for racism but it's about 25 years behind the UK. You will need a think skin and be prepared to get stared at A LOT. There is a mixed relationship hierarchy which dictates that white male with a girl of any racial background OK, black male with white woman not so good. This gets even worse if the girl is blonde. Black guy with a blonde girl seems to send some sections of the Anglo-Aussie male population quite mental.

Many white Australian males will openly stare and comment on you and your man. When called out on it, they tend to back up pretty quick but be aware.
Aussie women can also be quite nasty after a few drinks. Many are conservative, ignorant and rather proud of it.

But, don't let me put you off, you just have to remember that even in 2012 real live black faces are still quite rare here.

Many Aussies even in urban areas will never have spoken to a black person in their entire lives.

Groups of Aussie males on the drink can often make 'smart' comments to black guys to look big and brave in front of their mates. The key here is that they are only brave enough to do it a) pissed b) with a crew. The moment I don't play ball and don't laugh off the comment, they always shut up.

In summary: Australia is much more overtly vocally racist than the UK but Australian racists are big girls blouses and easily silenced compared to UK. ones.
chocobnob - that is gold mate... although i'm sure you get a bit more more hassle in nsw than some blacks get in qld - that is in my experience after 8 years here not a generalisation. ...good onya brother
Old Dec 4th 2012, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Zen10
Sadly, it is officially racist, yes. Your friend heard right. It is government policy. We all go on training courses when we get here to learn how to be racist to anyone who doesn't look like an extra from a Nevile Shute film. Everywhere you look - racists. Even the kangaroos are slightly racist.

Your friend should try America again because there is no racism there at all.
This is very true. and there are NO black kangaroos. hmmm.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

I am just so sick of this international conspiracy of attacking Australia.

I have met Taiwanese people who believed Australians use to practice cannibalism.

I have met Malaysians who believe they will be shot if they walk on someone's property.

I have met a Polish guy who claimed Australia had slavery until the 1970s(despite the fact that Australia has never had slavery).

I have met Pakistanis who truly believed it was an Australian cultural practice to have sex with Dogs.

And I have met plenty of people from several countries who are shocked to find out that Australian women have the vote - despite the fact the colony of South Australia was second in the world to give women the vote in 1894(NZ in 1893) and that women got the Federal vote in 1902.

There really does seem to be some kind of organised international conspiracy spreading pure lies about Australians.
It's not an international conspiracy, there's just an awful lot of uneducated, backward idiots in the world. How else do you explain religion?
Old Dec 4th 2012, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Thanks to most of you for the constructive answers - particularly monkeyalan, bignick, chochobnob and chris955. The rest of you cheers for the unhelpful douche bag replies. It was a genuine question so to those of you who gave your opinions thank you. I'm not really sure why it's so outrageous to ask such a thing, perhaps it was the way I worded it.

No problem with the visa side to those who mentioned it, they are both under 30 and qualify for working holiday visas.

Point taken about the USA. I have only ever travelled there and am not an expert on racial problems there either.
pom_chch - as a black male living here 8 years i can say that yes some parts and people of oz are blatantly racist, funny thing is a lot of it is lack of cultural awareness, and as someone else said, there is no political correctness in oz so no soft soaping the words, so i've stopped smacking my friends/associates who say wog - apparently that is assault or something.... but i do think it depends on where you are, my black friends in sydney seem to report more incidences of direct racism than friends in regional/metropolitan qld, perhaps in areas where there are already lots of 'black' faces...interesting point here, some of my indigenous friends do not like the word black, and you will still hear some indigenous and whites refer to 'coloured' people...and that is confirmation of what chocohnob said about some parts of oz being 25 years behind. a lot of the racism is pure lack of intelligence/understanding of other cultures, but then if the person has never left their oz outpost you can kinda understand it, to be non-racist you have to experience other races first and see and value how they add and contribute to a multicultural scoiety...that clearly does not happen in many parts of oz that have yet to be penetrated by what i would call meaningful multi-culturalism. my big example is tv, and altho oz now has a smattering of adverts with black/asian faces it needs to go full on as the uk did many many years ago... some 30+ years ago whenever there was a black person on the telly ads we would all shout to the household ;quick there's a black person on telly'...that is what oz needs to let more non-black aussies get used to black faces... and by the way those moments will never leave the memory as a black person, and still i have a smile when i see ads that try to reflect that we're a multicultural society - altho more so in name at the moment rather than spirit...in summary, yes oz is racist in parts and in some people, you can spend a lot of time saying 'put up yer dukes' , or you can check what the person means/knows and educate them a little... i was in a place called Imbil in qld at the weekend, walked into the hotel, the door creaked as i walked in and everyone turned around and looked at me, yeah classic black man/stranger walking in a bar situation, then they all half acknowledged me turned around and carried on watching the cricket... gotta love qld
Old Dec 4th 2012, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bingobob777
It's not an international conspiracy, there's just an awful lot of uneducated, backward idiots in the world. How else do you explain religion?
But doesnt that mean everyone is an idiot as everyone wants to claim they know better, including those who don't beleive in any religion?

Not disagreeing with everyone being an idiot, mind you.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
And how would you know if a Pakistani is to be offended by the term or not, or whether he has travelled to England before and being attacked with that word? I think it's fair to say that if you aware of the term being offensive, then think whether you should user it or not.
A Pakistani in Australia has the right to be offended by the abbreviation and can say so.

It's a moot point whether he or she finds it offensive because of knowing the connotation from the UK. Individuals might even make allowances.

To be honest, it's really only a word but then Pom can be bad, Brit good!

I think it can be different in Australia.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

It's an odd one this and I sometimes think it comes down to how you define racism.

I've found that Australians - colleagues and friends will make remarks about race - generally thoughtless or banter - that would be unthinkable in the UK where even asking what someone's 'country of origin' is can be problematic.

Now occassionally I react to that as mild racism, although I'm sure it's not in the intent of the speaker.

I have seen signs of racism here such as the 'F**k off, we're full" bumper stickers, but on the other hand, Australian friends point out that they don't have the equivalent of the BNP here. Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

A racist country? I'm not sure there's any such animal, but Australian social conventions and use of language is different to the UK's. In some cases that will come across as racist and in some cases it will be genuinely racist but on the other hand - this is a country where a huge part of the population are from somewhere else - their take on this is bound to be different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.