Rab's Story

Old Oct 13th 2004, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rab's Story

Rab, you are an inspiration........
Old Oct 13th 2004, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Rab, thanks for recounting your story. I'll bet a lot of Expats can recognise some aspects of your settling-in period.......(if not, all!).
Old Oct 13th 2004, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Rab, What a brilliant post, thanks for the honesty. Good luck to you and your wife and I hope you have a great future.

Lindsey
Old Oct 13th 2004, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Rab

Total respect!. I felt like I was there seeing it through your eyes - thanks for the insight.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie73
l think if you have a good job and a good lifestyle in the UK you should think twice about immigrating to Australia, However if you have a crap life in the UK
you might as well immigrate as you have nothing to loose.
Rab's post is very good - as is your comment, aussie73.

Not that I'll find out, but it would be interesting to know if Rab+wife remain in Oz, or return to UK after a few years...
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Rab
What a fantastic post.
I would like to wish you and Mary the best of luck for the future wherever you decide to settle.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:16 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

Rab

That was pretty much the perfect post. There are too many posts on here which are from either the rose tinted spectacles camp or the bitter and twisted camp. Your post was the kind that tells it like it is and will be an inspiration to all hopeful migrants

Cheers

GLR
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:41 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Fantastic post, Thank you very much for sharing your story with us all.

JD
Old Oct 13th 2004, 1:07 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Wow thanks for the kind words everyone....

I found this website and registered a few months ago, contributed a little but actually found this site a little too "rose tinted" just as one of the replies said.

That's why I wanted to tell it as it is. Britain is a superb country in so many ways and wherever you move to you are forced to compare things.

I reckon I am very lucky that I married an Australian girl and that made the application process so very much easier. But even with everything going for us - family here, a little money behind us (eventually), and having visited three times before - we have still found it very difficult, even my wife has, returning to SA.

I do think it is working out but only time will tell.

Cheers guys and again, good luck!
Rab
Old Oct 13th 2004, 3:43 pm
Cheeky

Hi Rab,

Thanks for a great, honest post! Much appreciated! Its v. easy to carried away with it all and your experiences are an insight into what its really like or could be like. Also I am pleased for you, Im happy things are working out and you are starting to settle.

Thankyou and good luck!

Cheeky

Old Oct 14th 2004, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Rab

Great post, brought back some memories for me of my first 5 months in Sydney. My better half is Australian and also got a job straight away and got back into her old lifeslye after living in the UK for 4 years. For me it was very much as your post. Now i have a good job and am enjoying my life. Only difference is that i like AFL

All the best mate
Pete
Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:54 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rab
Wow thanks for the kind words everyone....
Rab

Your post has certainly moved a lot of people on this board. I was just wondering whether it would be worth posting a link to this thread into the Oz Immigration board as that is where the early stage prospective migrants tend to hang out (many with rose tinted spectacles on! ). I think that they'd benefit enormously from your post. I was planning to post a link there myself but thought that might be unfair to you.

Cheers

GLR
Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:49 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Rab. My wife and I are on the verge of taking the plunge. Your post could have scared me off if taken the wrong way. We know it would be hard to adapt and it feels like you were in a similar situation to myself in the UK and so I would face similar issues. But the fact that you have come through it all is a real boost. Better still you are in Adelaide (not Perth ) . With my wife having an uncle there it would make a lot of sense to go there too but Adelaide did not really inspire us when we passed through 2 years ago. It is good to hear some good stuff about Adelaide and also the link the AdelaideBrits website will become well read in the next week.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:17 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Rab's Story

Originally Posted by rab
I can and will probably give as realistic an opinion as you are likely to hear. And I’ll start by saying that moving from the UK to Australia is a tough game, tougher than you could imagine when you make your first enquiry.

I'll be honest too and say that with absolutely everything going for me I have found it an awful upheaval like you just wouldn’t expect.

For lots of British people Australia is the ultimate Mecca - sunshine, barbecues, sea, and laid-back lifestyle. All that is here for sure but you need to build a foundation upon which to enjoy those things.

You see in the UK I had a good job on whatever plus salary plus bonuses and car, health scheme etc, paying a fortune in tax but enjoying the job managing a business in Manchester and Leeds. I had a beautiful house in Lancashire, a happy marriage, lovely quiet life in the hills, with the Lake District 45 minutes away, Liverpool the same distance.

My wife is Australian we married in 2000 in Adelaide and she had lived with me in the UK since 1998. Every time we came to Aus we fancied giving it a go - the cheap house prices were an amazing attraction, especially in Adelaide.

The giving up of work and setting off was the easy bit, all the forms, security tests, health checks etc were just part of it. We even brought the cat.

When we got here, especially for me as a Brit there seemed to be so much missing. My wife Mary started work at the university here and got straight into applying for work as she is 28 and keen and still needs to prove herself. I wanted a bit of a break after 16 years with the same firm.

After eight months I had no job still, no house, we had a nightmare selling our house in the UK - it only sold in June this year after going on the market in July last year.

I think May was my lowest point before we found a buyer for the house in the Britain. I wrote this in my diary: -

“We just need a chance to make everything work again.

“I went to the storage unit and unpacked three boxes today and when I did so I unpacked neatly wrapped drill bits, clean tools, clean tool boxes, loads of things wrapped in cling film and cardboard. All those things were like our new life all ready to go, all sorted out, all going to be right.

“I think Australia will continue to be foreign until we lay down some proper roots ... even then there are many things about Aus which I think will stay strange.

“With Mary though I think I will be happy here even when things are frustrating. It’s almost like our trip to India but with India you know it’s going to be difficult – with Australia I never expected it.

“We have not got off to the best start. I have found it hard … very hard. And it’s punched me on the chin like I never expected. I opened those wrapped tools today. I opened the plastic film, I opened the cardboard, slit the tape with my knife. And every thing I unwrapped was like a part of me being freed here. I know it sounds stupid. It is stupid.

“But when I went through those things today I felt those same emotions as when I wrapped them.

“And I think that will help.�

As for living here there is a lot to see, a lot of sport going on. But I am 40 and set in my ways a bit and have found it hard adapting.

I didn't apply for work as I wanted a break – but then I wished I had as I got quite bored in the winter. Not that I am not energetic - I always got up early every day and was always busy - but sometimes it is hard being without the money we had before. I applied for about 12 jobs and had three interviews which all went well but I have a sneaking feeling they think foreigners are a gamble and I bet in each case the Australian got the job.

I hate the sport here - all Aussie Rules, and no proper football coverage on TV. The TV is shocking - all ads and no quality. There is so much red tape here – you need to hire an electrician to wire a plug! I hate the pubs and places to go they are so awful – gambling machines like you’ve never seen before, so smoky just simply horrendous.

I thought it would be a lot like Britain – but there it is very different. I hated the traffic and the prices of everything in “rip-off Britain� but this winter in Adelaide and for many reasons I would have gone back at the drop of a hat. I hated being defeatist too so I guess that’s why we have stayed. I was only really here for Mary and just hoped it would get better.

In Britain I lived 100 miles or so from my mother but there is a big difference between being 2 hours from your mum and 24 hours and AU$2000 away!

On the positive side the weather is amazing – we’ve just had the winter and that was about three months of 10 degrees and a bit of rain. Even on a July day when it is supposed to be winter it can be 23 and sunny out there! There is so much to do if you can get out and about and want to do sports, especially water sports. The city of Adelaide is a beautiful city full of parks and big wide streets, free flowing traffic and so close to the sea.

It is surrounded by hills and forests and if you like wine it is the best place on earth to be! I always knew we ought to get somewhere nice to live and was in the right place for that instead of Sydney with its high-priced real estate.

The day things changed was in August.

I got a call from the guy who was to become my boss, not in the job that I could have done with my eyes shut, but a job that was a real challenge but with an organisation held in the highest regard here. I won’t say what it is doing but in that moment I got back my whole confidence and sense of belonging and fulfilment.

The job is amazing. I was out today visiting clients about an hour from the city. I am already working fewer hours than in the UK and feeling less stressed at work. The country is getting brown as the summer dryness begins. Today was about 38 where I was and as I write this the thunder clouds gather above this amazing city.

I see it all in a different light now – the people are now in this with me, not the aliens who greeted me strangely, yes the TV is still crap and the pubs are poor, and there is nothing but AFL on the sports news. But it is starting to become our home. That process will come together fully in two weeks when we move into our house in the hills, the sea in the distance, the gum trees and our fields around us. I can’t wait to buy my first cow, to bring home the dogs we want to acquire, and to unwrap the furniture and boxes we packed in Britain so many months ago.

Everyone has their dreams so I am not going to preach. I love it here for now. We’ll see what the future holds. But watch it, watch Australia carefully because this land of dreams and eternal youth will turn round and smack you in the mouth with a fist of reality so fast as to look at you.

My heart goes out to anyone else making this move. Good luck and stick with your dreams!
Rab

Your story shows that there are both good side and bad side to going, but it shows to that you have give it time! My husband and I are still in the talking and finding out stage. He thinks that i have a rose coloured view of life in Oz, but i know that the first months will be hard and that things can go wrong, jobs may be hard to find, finding the right house in the area all the little things that we take for granted here.

However your sorty gives us all hope that once these thing fall into place life in Oz can be very,very good!
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:25 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Rab's Story

Your story shows that there are both good sides and bad sides to going, but it also shows to that you have give it time! My husband and I are still in the talking and finding out stage. He thinks that i have a rose coloured view of life in Oz, but i know that the first months will be hard and that things can go wrong, jobs may be hard to find, finding the right house and school in the right area, all the little things that we take for granted here.

However your sorty gives us all hope that once these things fall into place life in Oz can be very,very good! I will have to my husband to read your post, hopfully it will help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.