Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quickest route to Oz ....

Quickest route to Oz ....

Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:50 am
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all
Default Quickest route to Oz ....

Hi everyone

Having just got our Visa and sold our house, we're looking to move out to the Sunshine Coast towards the end of January and have been researching the best flights and cost.

I am absolutely terrified of flying (last flight was 3 years ago and I was loaded with diazapam!!! - still didn't help), therefore I'm looking for the easiest and quickest route to take.

Have been looking at Manchester to Singapore (approx 13 hours), Singapore to Brisbane (just over 7 hours) with Singapore airlines. Does anyone know of a quicker route or best airline to fly with when you have an extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme phobia?

Many thanks

Ali
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quickest route to Oz ....

21 hours flying time is about as small as it gets. I feel for you as I am the same. Hate flying, had to go back to UK earlier this year and felt sick for the first 7 hours. If you do the 2 stop route its 7x7x7 which I think I will do next.

Jo
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:12 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
Hi everyone

Having just got our Visa and sold our house, we're looking to move out to the Sunshine Coast towards the end of January and have been researching the best flights and cost.

I am absolutely terrified of flying (last flight was 3 years ago and I was loaded with diazapam!!! - still didn't help), therefore I'm looking for the easiest and quickest route to take.

Have been looking at Manchester to Singapore (approx 13 hours), Singapore to Brisbane (just over 7 hours) with Singapore airlines. Does anyone know of a quicker route or best airline to fly with when you have an extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeme phobia?

Many thanks

Ali
As ths crow flies?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

Hi everyone

Many thanks

Ali
Where do you live? Glasgow to dubai 7 hours, dubai to perth (don't know about bribane) 9 hours. Have you tried hypnotherapy or NLP practitioner? I've heard they can really help and you may have to make this journey several times if visiting family and friends back here.

good luck
Dave
Old Dec 18th 2006, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Many thanks

Ali
Hello

Emirates do the trip to Brisbane in three hops, roughly 7 plus hours each leg.

I hate flying aswell, and I have to say if you hate flying moving to Australia isn't the best choice! You will have to get it under control and have some therepy to get rid of your fear.

You have to start booking appointments now, in order to be ready to fly in January.

Best of luck.

I know how you feel.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone

Many thanks

Ali
Two suggestions - one is stay a night in Singapore to help you relax (so if you are having abad time, the last thing you need is to know you are about to jump on another one)... you can often get a stay over without charge.

Secondly, if you do decide to do it all in one go, make sure, when at Singapore, you walk to either end of the terminal where there is a fitness centre at one end and a hotel at the other. Both sell showers for a dirt cheap price (about $5 USD if i recall) with a towel and you can have a nice relaxing warm shower. Spend as long you like, a clean set of undies works a treat and you feel like a different person. Having now flown the trip about 40 or 50 times, I never fail to do it, and while it will never make the flight any quicker, it will make it more bearable...
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice

Ali

By far the best way of curing any phobia, is confrontation. So fly to Australia is the best therapy that anyone can have. However you feel at the time, the more you fly the better potentially it could get.

My middle daughter has had many phobias, and as she has never flown before I expect her to phobic about flying, and at the same time the flight to Australia, because it is so long will mean that she will develop a phobia about flying and be cured in the same journey. I am planning if possible to take her on one flight all the way, me feels that once she gets off the plane mid-way, I might not get her back on.

(Well that's what I am hoping). If anyone out there witnesses a poor traumatised 8 year old on a flight to Australia, about August/Sept time, I apologise in advance.

Tina
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

sassycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Many thanks

Ali
Hi there

Have you considered attending a hypnotherapy session to alleviate some of your fears???

Just a thought

Love SC x-x-x-x
Old Dec 18th 2006, 5:31 pm
In melbourne

silver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant futuresilver has a brilliant future

Personally I fly a lot and have become more nervous over the years (there are a few reasons why). Anyways personally I buy Phenargan across the counter from boots, this is anti histomean(sp?) but is also for travel sickness. It really knocks me out and I usually sleep the entire flight. This does help it go quickly..
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:21 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody flys London to Australia non stop and so you'll end up getting two flights with a stop in Asia somewhere. I would have thought getting a one stop service rather than two would be better than having to get on a third plane and deal with nerves.

Qantas/BA, Singapore stop in Singapore.
Emirates stop in Dubai and Singapore.
Virgin fly Sydney via Hong Kong (internal flight to Brisbane or drive a day)
Japan Airlines fly Tokyo
Malaysa via KL
Cathay via Hong Kong

So the only one I would think isnt suitable would be Virgin or Emirates for the extra flight on top on the 2. Personally Singapore/Qantas/Cathay are good.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:27 pm
G'Day Mate

AussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I have done Gatwick to Brisbane with Emirates via Dubai and Singapore, like it was said before the flying time is roughly 7 hours and a bit (Actually a bit quicker on the way down due to jetstreams)... I choose this way because even though i am a student pilot I hate being stuck on a plane for 14 hours straight!!! I can't fault my flight with Emirates, i even had an upgrade to Business class, how about that hey...

Food during my flight both on Business and Economy was great compared to other airlines, plenty of choice... Plenty of music, films and games to help you pass the time, plus you have onboard live cameras outside the aircraft where you can watch take off and landing, well you can actually watch what's going around all the time...

Quicker and less stressful route for someone with a phobia would be to do the 13 hour leg and then the 7 hour one...

Anyway the choice is yours.

Last edited by AussieFlyer; Dec 18th 2006 at 7:31 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyphilpott
Two suggestions - one is stay a night in Singapore to help you relax (so if you are having abad time, the last thing you need is to know you are about to jump on another one)... you can often get a stay over without charge.

Secondly, if you do decide to do it all in one go, make sure, when at Singapore, you walk to either end of the terminal where there is a fitness centre at one end and a hotel at the other. Both sell showers for a dirt cheap price (about $5 USD if i recall) with a towel and you can have a nice relaxing warm shower. Spend as long you like, a clean set of undies works a treat and you feel like a different person. Having now flown the trip about 40 or 50 times, I never fail to do it, and while it will never make the flight any quicker, it will make it more bearable...
That is a very good idea. I will do that next time, you're right it would make a huge difference. Thanks for that
Old Dec 19th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Cos I usually travel with my kids - I do London to Dubai and stop overnight or 2 days - not expensive and lovely hotels.
Then either Bandar in Malaysia or Singapore - stop overnight, then final leg to Perth.
Have travelled with Brunei Air - Virgin Atlantic ( to Dubai ) Singapore Airlines.

I wouldn't travel with Virgin again and Singapore was very very good. Brunei was fine too but i do gather it's a bit hit and miss. Have yet to travel emirates but i'm told they are very good too.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 11:19 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Many thanks

Ali
Its the taking off and landing thats the worst bit, id defintely wouldnt add in another leg and have to go through that, just get it over and done with as quick as possible.
Least flying time is into Perth with Emirates, two fairly evenly split legs as well, you could then get the train across Aus and have that as something to look forward to rather than just "getting there"
You'd also get to see what you were missing by coming to Perth
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone

Many thanks

Ali
Hi Mark. i would just lke to say i have done that flight from Manchester 5 times now and is just 2 ups and 2 downs.Is good because u leave at 10am no waiting around all day for night flight and u land in Brsbane at 7 30 pm so by the time u get your head down about 10 pm u will sleep and wake up in your new time zone
Good luck
Raven

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.