Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Questions on shipping.

Questions on shipping.

Old Sep 21st 2004, 5:11 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice
Question Questions on shipping.

We hope that someone is able to answer our query. Along with our furniture, we are intending to ship some new household items in our container. If the items are in their original packaging, will we get charged any form of import tax, or will the shipping company repack them anyway.
The loft is full of cardboard boxes and I want a clear out.

Neil and Mandy.

Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:54 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions on shipping.

Originally Posted by neil.b
We hope that someone is able to answer our query. Along with our furniture, we are intending to ship some new household items in our container. If the items are in their original packaging, will we get charged any form of import tax, or will the shipping company repack them anyway.
The loft is full of cardboard boxes and I want a clear out.

Neil and Mandy.

If they are new then you have to keep the receipts. From what I remember anything less than 12 months old will mean the glorious ATO / Customs people taking their slice (not sure of that is just GST rate though or whether its less or maybe even more).
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:03 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

You have to declare if less than 12mo as ianj says. What you choose to put on the form is up to you. Our shippers advised us here.
We had a few new items and original boxes. The packers said to use the original boxes if in good condition, as they were made for the job. I declared some of the items, like the new printer and tv, cos I suppose they can be checked. Didn't declare new sofa, dining table (as they were ahem 12mo).
Anyway, it all arrived and no tax asked for on any of it.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 12:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The question has come up several times, and I don't think as yet anyone has actually been asked to pay GST. Customs are really looking for people who might be buying and importing to sell.