Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Questions, questions - Melbourne

Questions, questions - Melbourne

Old Jul 1st 2017, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions, questions - Melbourne

Originally Posted by GarryP
If you are looking for investment, you are looking for capital gain - so if you go with the grain the value is already priced in. Find something up and coming and undervalued and you can clean up.

For instance, until recently Sunshine was a down at heel dump. However people realised it was undervalued and good for commuting and the values have shot up.
True but you're still thinking location. Also you might make a gain but do you want to live there?
Old Jul 1st 2017, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
True but you're still thinking location. Also you might make a gain but do you want to live there?
Parts of Sunshine are surprisingly attractive. I'd personally definitely give Footscray a go. Wish one of my kids would move there, so I can spend some real time in the area.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

For instance, until recently Sunshine was a down at heel dump. However people realised it was undervalued and good for commuting and the values have shot up.
And that's going with the grain. When you invest in somewhere or in something, you go with the grain, you want lots of people investing, so your investment increases.

Simple economics.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 7:31 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
And that's going with the grain.
Nope, it's not.

Going with the grain is to say that Sunshine is a dive and the properties next to worthless. Going with the grain is to say Pharhan is a valuable inner east suburb that's well worth the million+ valuation.

Or to put it another investment type way : buy on the rumour, sell on the news.

Simple economics.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, it's not.

Going with the grain is to say that Sunshine is a dive and the properties next to worthless. Going with the grain is to say Pharhan is a valuable inner east suburb that's well worth the million+ valuation.

Simple economics.
Eh? You said "However people realised it was undervalued and good for commuting and the values have shot up."

Which means people are buying, and if you buy too, you are going with the grain, and if people keep buying, you've gone with the grain to see success.

And for what its worth, Pharhan must be worth the price tag. People are buying there. Go with the grain. You can't lose.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, it's not.

Simple economics.
Well the news is Sunshine median house price is now 710,000 dollars for "Wooden shacks"

https://www.realestate.com.au/neighb...shine-3020-vic

Point Cooks median house price is 575,000 dollars for large brick detached houses.

https://www.realestate.com.au/neighb...0cook-3030-vic

Plus to illustrate my point re there being nice parts of Sunshine..... Here is the street my mate lives in, Cornwall St. I dont mind admitting I was surprised as well. There's quite a sizeable pocket like that, with a large park running adjacent to it as well and within walking distance of the shops and station.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 2nd 2017 at 11:29 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Well the news is Sunshine median house price is now 710,000 dollars for "Wooden shacks"

https://www.realestate.com.au/neighb...shine-3020-vic

Point Cooks median house price is 575,000 dollars for large brick detached houses.

https://www.realestate.com.au/neighb...0cook-3030-vic

Plus to illustrate my point re there being nice parts of Sunshine..... Here is the street my mate lives in, Cornwall St. I dont mind admitting I was surprised as well. There's quite a sizeable pocket like that, with a large park running adjacent to it as well and within walking distance of the shops and station.

https://images.realestateview.com.au...rge-379569.jpg
A 25 minute public transport ride vs an hour. Well you would be jumping all over the grain and going with Sunshine any day of the week no matter how many gangs there are.

And over 20 years, a 25 minute commute is going to grow more than and hour commute. Always has, always will.