Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Questions about Northern Territory ??

Questions about Northern Territory ??

Old May 7th 2013, 2:46 pm
Banned

luqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions about Northern Territory ??

hi all !
i need to know about the Northern Territory as my skills are currently in their SOL can any one tell how will be the experience of living there in terms of wages, employment opportunities , accommodation, living costs and weather etc.i am planning for a 489 provisional visa and if i get a visa , i will be bound to live and work in NT for two years.
Old May 9th 2013, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about Northern Territory ??

Hi. We've just moved after 4 years in the NT. As you probably already know its a hot place to live. It only has two seasons, wet and dry, which speaks for itself. That can get a lot of people down (especially the humidity) but some people love it. It has a high multicultural transient community. Loads of things to do and see if you get out and about.

It is expensive to rent or buy. Have a look at real estate.com.au for average prices.

After recently moving to Melbourne I don't think the day to day cost of living is any dearer.

Wages are good and employment opportunities are there.

We still have a house up,there which we rent out. It's a great place to live if you make the most of it. Very cheap to pop over to Bali for a weekend away x
Old May 9th 2013, 2:34 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Hi. We've just moved after 4 years in the NT. As you probably already know its a hot place to live. It only has two seasons, wet and dry, which speaks for itself. That can get a lot of people down (especially the humidity) but some people love it.
Got to be honest about it.

It has the 'build up', which is when it's getting hotter and more humid, but not actually raining in 'the wet' yet. People have been known to go insane in those conditions, with the suicide rate trending up during the 6-8 weeks. It's where the phrase "going troppo" comes from. Air conditioning 24/7 is the rule, and coming from the UK it would be a shock.

The main thing to realise about the NT is just how few people live there, including Darwin. With a current population of 233,000 and 127,000 of those in Darwin (it's claimed), its about like living in Carlisle, if it were the only town in an area about the size of Western Europe. Its a long way from anywhere, and in consequence gets little happening, and a long way to go for anything.

Its one to visit first I'd say. Just turning up, required to stay for 2 years, itsn't a good move.

Last edited by GarryP; May 9th 2013 at 2:43 am.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luqmans65
hi all !
i need to know about the Northern Territory as my skills are currently in their SOL can any one tell how will be the experience of living there in terms of wages, employment opportunities , accommodation, living costs and weather etc.i am planning for a 489 provisional visa and if i get a visa , i will be bound to live and work in NT for two years.
My first ever experience of Australia was Darwin in December/January 1994. The humidity at that time of the year is insane - easily one of the hottest, uncomfortable places I have ever been. Be prepared.

Saying that, I like Darwin. It's a great little city and I enjoyed the nightlife there - certainly better than I was expecting. Their economy is doing very well so costs will reflect that ie expensive.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people homeless and sleeping rough, many times more per capita than any other Australian city, see:

Long-grassers: Indigenous women trade sex for food and cigarettes

"Now men cruise Darwin’s streets and parks targeting homeless Aboriginal women, known locally as long-grassers, whose lives are mired in poverty, social exclusion, stigma, hunger, trauma, violence, deteriorating health and addiction."

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226634776568
Old May 9th 2013, 10:11 am
Banned

luqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond reputeluqmans65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Lots of people homeless and sleeping rough, many times more per capita than any other Australian city, see:

Long-grassers: Indigenous women trade sex for food and cigarettes

"Now men cruise Darwin’s streets and parks targeting homeless Aboriginal women, known locally as long-grassers, whose lives are mired in poverty, social exclusion, stigma, hunger, trauma, violence, deteriorating health and addiction."

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226634776568
thank you all for such valuable information. i am used to hot temperature as i'e spent life in an area where temperature in summers went upto 43 degreeC. but the main issue i have concern with is living expenses, rent , purchasing grocery items and job opportunities. i am an ICT professional. can you please tell me the pros and cons of NT while you compare it with other states of Australia except Tasmania.
Old May 9th 2013, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Just moved to darwin from brisbane and struggling to settle. For us the australian dream was beaches, weekends away on the coast / in the hinterland & living outdoors. I feel 6 months a year here you have to hide inside - very few weekend trips been to litchfield but 5 yoson keeps getting leeched!! we are off to kakadu and bali in the next four months but doesnt feel the same. It is nice our pool is still 30 degrees here in darwin and the humidity is going but still 33 !!!
Food costs more i am spending $50-$100 pw more to feed family - petrol 25 c per litre more and rent $500 more pw for a smaller place. Not found indiginous issue - there's a friendly bunch at mindil beach i see when walking the dog. The markets are good, beaches lovely but no swimming and some good eateries. And I am sure 15 years ago I would have loved the nightlife.. But for me brisbane outshines it - oh for four seasons and the sunshine coast ....
Old May 10th 2013, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Manchester and I've worked in the territory twice since I came to Australia in 74 , once in Darwin in 75 for about a year just after I'd come to Australia and again in Katherine in 02 for a couple of years.

You will either love or hate the territory, it doesn't favour fence sitters , it's around 30c most of the time and hotter inland , it has slightly different laws than the states--it's a territory, the humidity and heat leading up to 'the wet' (monsoon season) can be very very trying for some people.

The cost of living has always been higher than the Southern states allegedly due to it's remoteness,, which is somewhat contributory however a different reality reveals the wild and voracious monopolistic trader is alive, well and thriving in the NT , some say that the species could have originated there.

Housing is an expensive PITA always has been renting or buying but coming from the stupidly priced UK it could even be a relief.

I have no idea about your employment prospects best hit the local job sites or email a couple of relevant Co's see what they've got

I believe the territory favours younger people somewhat, they are just basically physically more resilient . I love the place but I wouldn't want to live there, the heat and humidity didn't bother me at all when I was younger , latterly I prefer it--not.

If you do go to the NT I would suggest that you start in Darwin, some of the smaller places like Tennant Creek or Katherine could be somewhat of a trial first off.

But then again if you like remote-----

All the best whatever you decide
Old May 12th 2013, 7:11 pm
Banned

thank you all for sharing such valuable information about NT.