Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

questions about adelaide

questions about adelaide

Old Dec 30th 2001, 3:51 pm
tad
Just Joined

tad is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone tell me if it's possible to get a 3 month rental agreement on a property in Adelaide? Or are they mostly 6 month leases?. We'll need to rent when we arrive while we're looking to buy, and hoping to be able to buy something within 3 months. Is house buying a lot simpler/quicker than it is in the UK?
Secondly, where do Adelaide residents walk their dogs? I know that a lot of areas are out of bounds for dogs, but they must walk them somewhere. Can they be off lead in parks? Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old Dec 31st 2001, 2:10 am
Russell Driver

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >
Hi Tad

As far as I know it is not possible to get only a 3 month rental agreement -
landlords do like a bit of a term. I think you will be better off taking you time in
selecting the house/suburb,there are various types of suburb from
hills,country,beach,suburb,stupid crammed apartments.It depends just what you want
and how close you want to be to the city and/or work.There are one or two 'rough'
areas as well that at first glance look fairly decent to the untrained eye! Adelaide
and surrounds is a city of a million people so there are plenty of areas to look at.
Take your time and don't rush! Perhaps you may want to have a house built for you - I
think the $14,000 first time home owner/builder's grant is extended into next year.My
friend who moved from the uk near to me south of Adelaide city is having a house
built for him and because officially he is a first time buyer and receives the
grant.Perhaps a point to think about. Purchasing a house can be done in 10 days using
a property onveyancer( solicitors will be more expensive and slow it down).It is a
hell of a lot easier than in the uk.We viewed our property whilst on one of our
visits here and ended up buying it by phone/email/snail mail.

You can walk your dog in plenty of places,on the street it needs to be on a lead and
have a current licence and tag.There are areas all over the city/suburb and beaches -
your local council will give you plenty of advice.Most local councils are very
helpful indeed,my local council Onkaparinga City) are nearly on first name terms with
me! Make sure your home has a decent sized yard or even some land for your dog.

Have a look at one or two of the links on my sight relating to South Australia for
more info.

HTH

Russell

--
Luck is when the paths of preparation and opportunity cross. www.auseelife.com

Old Dec 31st 2001, 4:02 am
Dan Santoro

TAD-if you can get me your regular e-mail, I have a friend who is a sergeant with
the South Aus police that could answer things for you.....resp dir to my e-mail
address only

Russell Driver wrote:

[usenetquote2]> > Can someone tell me if it's possible to get a 3 month rental agreement on a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > property in Adelaide? Or are they mostly 6 month leases?. We'll need to rent when[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > we arrive while we're looking to buy, and hoping to be able to buy something[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > within 3 months. Is house buying a lot simpler/quicker than it is in the UK?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Secondly, where do Adelaide residents walk their dogs? I know that a lot of areas[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > are out of bounds for dogs, but they must walk them somewhere. Can they be off[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > lead in parks? Thanks in advance for your responses.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >