Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question on Age for Moving Kids

Question on Age for Moving Kids

Old Oct 27th 2015, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Tricky Nicky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on Age for Moving Kids

After a failed attempt to move to Perth back in 2013 we are considering giving it another go. Potential timescales mean that our kids will be 12 & 9 and I have slight reservations on the basis that our eldest will be pre-teen etc, may struggle more to integrate into school etc.

I appreciate that much of the success will rely on our parenting and indeed the kids characters however I would still be really grateful if anyone could share experiences/ offer thoughts on whether my concerns are valid. Hoping that we haven't missed the window...
Old Oct 27th 2015, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on Age for Moving Kids

Shouldn't think their ages would be an issue - they'll either like it or they won't. Educationally that's not too bad a time to be moving.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Tricky Nicky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Quoll - that's reassuring and agreed, I think the schooling doesn't get serious until 15/16 yrs irrespective of location.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Kids adapt much easier than we give them credit for, in my opinion.

We relocated from South Australia to Queensland when eldest was 11 and he has thrived, made friends quickly. Hasn't looked back.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Ours were 7 & 10.One loved(10) it one not so much. As said its a good time in the education time scale as there is enough ahead of them to intergrate. They would probably find it easier to. As I feel the demands on them are far less, certainly in the State schools compared with the UK education. Will probably get some flak for that. But its the impression I get. Though I suppose Todays teaching is very different from my school days.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 8:14 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Ours were 13 and 10.
The 10 year old settled immediately, the 13 year old took longer, mainly because the school was very different to the one she had attended in the uk. We have since moved her again and she is now very settled.

My two are 15 and 13 now and wouldn't want to go back to the uk.
Kids are adaptable and they will settle if you do. If they think you are unhappy then this may rub off on them.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 9:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ours were 13 and 10, now 23 and 20. It was tough on the eldest but then she's a bit of a sensitive flower at the best of times. I would think 12 and 9 to be pretty good ages tbh although obviously every child is different. As has been said children are awesome at picking up on vibes parents are totally unaware they're giving off so if you feel unsure about it you can pretty much guarantee they will make your life hell. Only thing I'd definitely say is if you go ahead with the move do not under any circumstances offer bribes, they can and will come back and haunt you.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should be okay. Every kid is different though as PPs have mentioned and their personalities, character etc. come into play, along with how well the family is settling as a whole.

That said, we moved interstate knowing that we did not want to move once our older child had started high school, so we are content and settled. She's happy and has made new friends, some of whom will be going to the same high school when the time comes.