Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about scuba gear

Question about scuba gear

Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:58 am
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold
Default Question about scuba gear

I've looked on the AQIS site and there is no mention of scuba tanks being on the list of prohibited imports.

However, as we are currently getting quotes from shippers, I was browsing the Anglo Pacific site (or ***** ******** as I believe they are more affectionately known ) and they state that scuba compressed air cylinders are not permitted.

Can anyone clear this up for me please?

Probably going to go with PSS anyway, but wanted to be sure on this.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about scuba gear

Originally Posted by <")))><
I've looked on the AQIS site and there is no mention of scuba tanks being on the list of prohibited imports.

However, as we are currently getting quotes from shippers, I was browsing the Anglo Pacific site (or ***** ******** as I believe they are more affectionately known ) and they state that scuba compressed air cylinders are not permitted.

Can't see why they wouldn't be permitted - unless any of your gear is being air freighted. Have you asked any other shippers?
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

can't help but nice fish!
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:19 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember reading somewhere (probably on here) that scuba tank certification or standards or something are different between UK and Aus so if you bring them they cannot be certified so you will never get them filled.

Of course, I might have dreamed it all.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:28 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by <")))><

I brought my U.K cylinder with me. I listed it on the inventory and it wasn't questioned by either the shippers or AQIS. I've had it filled with no problems so far, though I should add the guy at the scuba shop is a fellow Pom. The only problem you will have is if your cylinder is fitted with a din type valve as opposed to the yoke type used in the rest of the world.
Do not bring your cylinder if it does not have a burst disc fitted as they are a legal requirement here. Mine is up for testing in a month and I'll find out then if the British standard kite mark is acceptable to the tester.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I looked at brining ours but was advised (on divernet) to not bother since there could be problems getting them filled and tested since some shops may not understand british markings (which is not what you want to happen when you're trying to get a fill from the only dive shop in the area after spending a number of hours driving for a dive weekend). We've sold ours and will be buying more when we get to Australia.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 2:38 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

***** ******** probably dont want it in their container in case it explodificates and sinks the big old ship when your container full of your worldly goods is bashing around loosely in a force 40 gale knocking seven barrels of crap out of everyone elses stuff too.

;-)
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:45 am
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cresta57
I brought my U.K cylinder with me. I listed it on the inventory and it wasn't questioned by either the shippers or AQIS. I've had it filled with no problems so far, though I should add the guy at the scuba shop is a fellow Pom. The only problem you will have is if your cylinder is fitted with a din type valve as opposed to the yoke type used in the rest of the world.
Do not bring your cylinder if it does not have a burst disc fitted as they are a legal requirement here. Mine is up for testing in a month and I'll find out then if the British standard kite mark is acceptable to the tester.

Great, thanks for that.

DIN to Yoke is quite straightforward - just put the insert back in with an allen key, so no worries there. I have a Yoke reg set anyways.

It was hydrostatically inspected last year and has all the necessary markings to prove that it passed (only 2 years old). All new 232 and 300 bar cylinders have burst discs I believe; legal req as you say.

Would love to hear the results of your testing.

Cheers,
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 6:49 am
New South Welshie

Originally Posted by spottydog
I looked at brining ours but was advised (on divernet) to not bother since there could be problems getting them filled and tested since some shops may not understand british markings (which is not what you want to happen when you're trying to get a fill from the only dive shop in the area after spending a number of hours driving for a dive weekend). We've sold ours and will be buying more when we get to Australia.
Ta, may ask the guys over at uk.rec.scuba for their advice then in that case. May end up dong the same as you, saves the hassle.

Cheers,