Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question about renting apartment in Sydney?

Question about renting apartment in Sydney?

Old May 9th 2012, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

02737640 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about renting apartment in Sydney?

I plan on moving to Sydney from the uk April 2013. I have been looking at apartments. The rent seems quite expensive. If I rented an apartment what other bills would I have to pay? Is the gas and electricity included in the rent price? Is there any council tax charge or any other charges?

Info would be great
Old May 9th 2012, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Question about renting apartment in Sydney?

When we rented our place out, the tenant paid gas/electric/water (think all water in this country is metered). We paid council rates.
Old May 9th 2012, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 02737640
I plan on moving to Sydney from the uk April 2013. I have been looking at apartments. The rent seems quite expensive. If I rented an apartment what other bills would I have to pay? Is the gas and electricity included in the rent price? Is there any council tax charge or any other charges?

Info would be great
Utilities will not typically be included, landlord usualy pays council tax. Yes it is an expensive city.
Old May 10th 2012, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Info would be great
Are you trying to do a budget? Do you know what your salary will be? Yes Sydney is expensive for rent compared to say London but salaries in general are higher. I can't remember the figure but despite the higher rental in terms of straight exchange rate I pay less of a proportion of my take home salary toward rent in Sydney than I did in London.
Old May 10th 2012, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for replys. I am looking for a furnished apartment to rent long term. I was on a website that told me furnished apartments usually covers electricity costs. It would be great if this was true as rent is very expensive.
Old May 10th 2012, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Furnished apartments aren't especially common in Sydney, the majority are unfurnished. Are you looking at serviced apartments? These would be furnished, but also very expensive (although would include all bills)
Old May 10th 2012, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replys. I am looking for a furnished apartment to rent long term. I was on a website that told me furnished apartments usually covers electricity costs. It would be great if this was true as rent is very expensive.
Are you coming for a very short period of time? That is only reason I can think of why someone would rent a furnished apartment, you are severely limiting your options by doing that.
Old May 10th 2012, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

We are going to be staying permenantly. A furnished apartment to rent that has everything including kitchen utensils, cutlery etc is what were looking for. I don't mind if it's more expensive if it includes gas and electricity and is fully furnished. We're not in a position to rent unfurnished as we can't afford to fully furnish it. I have looked on domain.com.au but doesn't say if gas and electricity is included
Old May 10th 2012, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

If it doesnt say it, I wouldnt presume.

I started with nothing. First thing, bed, then cooking stuff, then build from there.

IMO its much cheaper than renting fully furnished. Plus it wont take long to buy things where as you may get tied into a lease for fully furnished for 12 months..

But I dont mind roughing it.
Old May 10th 2012, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

We are going to be staying permenantly. A furnished apartment to rent that has everything including kitchen utensils, cutlery etc is what were looking for. I don't mind if it's more expensive if it includes gas and electricity and is fully furnished. We're not in a position to rent unfurnished as we can't afford to fully furnish it. I have looked on domain.com.au but doesn't say if gas and electricity is included
I would think that fully furnished rentals on domain would not include gas/electric etc.

If you want to include these you'll need to go for serviced apartments which also include things like linen and cleaning but this will cost more again (mainly designed for employees who have been sent away from home for 2 weeks to a few months).

For furnishings you could look for secondhand items on gumtree, freecycle etc. which will probably save you money over renting furnished in just a couple of months.
Old May 10th 2012, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
I would think that fully furnished rentals on domain would not include gas/electric etc.
Indeed, the only time we rented a furnished unit in Melbourne (on a normal one-year lease, not a short-term serviced appartment), we had to pay for electricity and gas. Water was included in the rent as it wasn't metered separately for each unit in the block. I would assume the same goes in Sydney.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I would have thought fully furnished would cost a good 5-600 a week atleast in Sydney (alot more if truthful) and your partners salary of $50,000 is only 790 a week or 738 a week minus Super..
Old May 10th 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

A serviced apartment would be great as I'm looking for everything to be in the apartment - bed linen, kitchen utensils etc. Can serviced apartments be rented for a year minimum? Just to get us settled and then we can look at moving into a unfurnished.

Tramps - I would be working aswell not just my partner
Old May 10th 2012, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

When we go over a hotel room is included with my partners job just for a few weeks until we find somewhere to stay. Don't think the hotel would accept our cat though.

I've a feeling that we're going to be doing things wrong going by all your posts. I need somewhere that is pet friendly as I have a indoor cat. Should i forget about a serviced apartment and look for something cheaper? It needs to be fully furnished.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Why does it need to be fully furnished? Can you not buy a few things to begin with and build stuff up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.