Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:13 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A simple man? thats what I need, a simple man to go drinking with sometimes Football season's nearly here, see you in the Pig sometime, we must have that drink together
Oh yes..........
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:21 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm could love be in the air for lagerman and the witch
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy

i wouldn't wish that on the poor bloke!! You can be so cruel sometimes
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:37 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Never step on a mans toes.......
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:39 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carling black label
Never step on a mans toes.......
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:43 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:48 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

This was supposed to be the Tories stance in the UK, tear apart UK spending on public sector jobs; it has really not happened, instead the UK is printing money to keep the Public Sector employed, so dampening down the effect of a weakening economy, not great, but hey better to keep jobs, than to throw people to the dole queues..Not sure how long they can keep printing to make up the tax take short fall, but hey....
Unfortunately, this is not true. Lots of people have lost their jobs or been down graded. I never thought I would see the day that front line nursing staff lost their jobs, but this has happened to my friend.

I work in an area that employs both health and social care staff and lots of my social care colleagues have been made redundant or had their positions downgraded.

Looks like it's happening everywhere.

The government here in the UK has also done a great job in convincing the general public that public sector worker are faceless, lazy, entitled bloodsuckers.

Like anywhere, there may be some people who are along for a ride, but most people are hard working and just trying to get a hard job done well.

I regularly work over my contracted hours for no extra pay.

I thought it may be better in Australia but maybe I was wrong. I certainly don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 4:02 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately it is a very common misconception that it will never happen in Australia.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 5:24 pm
FREE TIBET

Knackered...bed................nite friends................
Dat witch she gonna put a spell on yer ass bro
Old Jul 16th 2012, 8:50 pm
Home and Happy

Dat witch she gonna put a spell on yer ass bro
Just like the one I put on yours a while back!
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

anybody losing their job is tragic, but public sector workers seem to have a complete ignorance of economics.

If the state government is currently 80billion in debt and it's rising daily, what do they propose the govt. does to balance the budget?

Same here as in the UK, the public sector workers get better holidays, pensions, sick leave yet it's still not enough.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I contracted with Dept Of natural Resources for approx 8 years on and off in their IT dept and and it was unbelievable how overstaffed they were. It was one of the cushiest jobs I've ever had.

I do agree that the front line staff in some depts are grossly overworked (health) and deserve our support but the support staff in these same dept deserve to be chopped.

During this time I also worked for Comalco and the difference in efficiency was obvious. I always got more satisfaction working for an efficient organization rather than a bloated bureaucracy.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:47 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
anybody losing their job is tragic, but public sector workers seem to have a complete ignorance of economics.

If the state government is currently 80billion in debt and it's rising daily, what do they propose the govt. does to balance the budget?

Same here as in the UK, the public sector workers get better holidays, pensions, sick leave yet it's still not enough.
The thing you have to understand is the reason they get better holidays, pension and sick leave is because its been easier to give them that in the annual pay round than actually pay the rate for the job. Add to that businesses reducing holidays, cutting pensions and fraudulently removing sick leave and you end up at the current situation.

You don't fix that by screwing everyone, you already screwed them once in not paying enough.

You also don't do it by airily cutting x% of the workforce, but expecting the same service to be delivered.

Instead what you do is reengineer HOW you deliver the services, and what you do, such that there is less work needed to deliver the necessary services, and thus less people needed. Straight brainless cutting, like the right wing politicians are doing, is the hallmark of incompetent management.

Above all, in Australia, what you do is cut the red tape and the number of stages in any process. That's the low hanging fruit - stop doing stupid sh*t.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:43 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by GarryP
The thing you have to understand is the reason they get better holidays, pension and sick leave is because its been easier to give them that in the annual pay round than actually pay the rate for the job. Add to that businesses reducing holidays, cutting pensions and fraudulently removing sick leave and you end up at the current situation.

You don't fix that by screwing everyone, you already screwed them once in not paying enough.

You also don't do it by airily cutting x% of the workforce, but expecting the same service to be delivered.

Instead what you do is reengineer HOW you deliver the services, and what you do, such that there is less work needed to deliver the necessary services, and thus less people needed. Straight brainless cutting, like the right wing politicians are doing, is the hallmark of incompetent management.

Above all, in Australia, what you do is cut the red tape and the number of stages in any process. That's the low hanging fruit - stop doing stupid sh*t.

As for the people who say we all have cushy jobs - I agree there are a few people who seem to get by on minimum hours and maximum teabreaks, but the majority of us work extremely hard, with a lot of hours and effort over and above that which we are expected to put in. To hear our efforts rubbished not only by Newman but also by the people who we serve is very demoralising. But then maybe some of you don't consider rebuilding Queensland's infrastructure essential? Or the protection of kids through the Blue Card scheme? Or the preparation of new plans to prevent whole towns being destroyed again by another flood.

By the way, how many people realise that the basic pay of a Queensland paramedic is the equivalent of an AO3 Admin Officer? (AO2 being the basic admin level). Shockingly unrecognised for what our paramedics do day in, day out..... no cushy fat cats there.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:50 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

There may *perhaps* be a silver lining....

If Newmanns 'slasher' tactics cause sufficient degradations in services and we have a summer of death and destruction (unmanaged fires in a dry el nino sumnmer following a wet winter?)... and Qld'ers wake up to the reality of LNP - perhaps...

.. and just perhaps - LNP support may dip and a federal whitewash can be avoided. I *dream* that perhaps we wont hand any serious decision making responsibilities to Tony Abbott (or at least provide some kind of viable opposition resistance to limit the damage) - the man terrifies me.... (and has SOOO much potential to wage economic destruction on our country!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.