Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Ambulance Service

Queensland Ambulance Service

Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Has there been anyone who has left QAS but returned to work for them at a later date but in a different area?
I take it you have to go through applying from the start again?
Hindsight wonderful thing.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

crellins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Garyp

I'm not sure about that but wern't you down there not long ago? I have just emailed recruitment about the current situation but I'm not hopeful. I want to try and get a para job but are they still taking on UK paras and will they sort the visa?

Crellins
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crellins
Hi Garyp

I'm not sure about that but wern't you down there not long ago? I have just emailed recruitment about the current situation but I'm not hopeful. I want to try and get a para job but are they still taking on UK paras and will they sort the visa?

Crellins
newman has almost certainly put the tin hat on recruitment for a while - the staff left in QAS are hanging onto their jobs by their fingertips at present according to the guy who now works shifts with our team.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by crellins
Hi Garyp

Crellins
Back in UK 2 years now but would go back. It wasnt that bad. There website shows they are sill recruiting and offering visas but may not be updated. I had a former colleague who went North Brisbane in 2012 so they were still recruiting then and anther is due to go.
Its a service they cant cut back on too much as its essential and there would be public outcry. It would be the managers and pen pushers first before road staff.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:45 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyp
Back in UK 2 years now but would go back. It wasnt that bad. There website shows they are sill recruiting and offering visas but may not be updated. I had a former colleague who went North Brisbane in 2012 so they were still recruiting then and anther is due to go.
Its a service they cant cut back on too much as its essential and there would be public outcry. It would be the managers and pen pushers first before road staff.
I currently work for QAS but I'm leaving in a few months time to work as an offshore/remote medic, my one way ticket to the UK is now booked and paid for as is my BOSIET, HUET and Offshore Medics courses! I've wanted to leave for the past year but hung on for a while as I am currently back working remote as a single officer, I decided to go back remote for a while as its great experience for future jobs I'm interested in, less stressful and good money to pay for my very expensive courses lol! Morale here is generally extremely low atm amongst road staff due to ramping, no breaks, recent low pay offer, threat of meal subsidies being stopped etc, quite a few are leaving to work overseas and in the mines just doing a few casual shifts for QAS. The universities here are churning out staff like nobodies business though so we always have new staff coming in.

However they do have multiple vacancies at ACP level in Mount Isa, Emerald, Murgon, Gladstone and Brisbane metro area (according to the latest vacancy bulletin) so it might be worth mentioning in your application that you would be willing to work in any of those areas to start with. You can always put in for a voluntary transfer once you're in and done your time! Good luck

Last edited by MissBetty; Jan 7th 2013 at 1:27 am.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyp
Good luck to anyone who can get in, I mean that genuinely, its not a bad department to work for on the whole. BUT be prepared for the low morale issues at present - down to issues like ramping, loss of meal break allowance etc. I know several paramedics well who are fighting to stay on desk jobs because of precisely those issues.
There is also a huge departmental review in place at present with rumours of EMQ being abolished, the Fire Service going to police and QAS becoming part of QHealth.