Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Ambulance Service

Queensland Ambulance Service

Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Originally Posted by cheakyvixen
thanks for your help Pollyana!
No problem ; best of luck - they are a pretty good department to work for

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 10th 2010 at 12:58 am.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

teepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by temptininnit
lol no.

Everything you need to know is in this thread ref QAS. There is also a NSW ambulance service thread somewhere.
just in case anyone is considering NSW. they have closed international applications till the end of the year pending a new labour agreement.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Its sunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jon&kate
Tell me what EMSPA has done for QAS employees in the last 4 years mr wolf?

It says its not politicaly alinged yet has the LNP at its AGM!!!!!!.

it cant advocate for anyone as it's not a union!!!!

Many staff are joining back up with the union- fact.(2500 staff are members /that info from withinQAS)

Am not a union bod mate .Just seen it all before in the uk..And as for uk paramedics working here there and everywhere..think you will find that happens to ozzies aswell.

Just remember the boss dont wake up in the morning and decide to improve conditions....unions and members win them...If you dont like the union are you giving back the 4% interim rise you just got thanks to them and the members?
Hi just read your comments

Emspa got the rosters changed for staff from the previous 10 hour shift system "which funnyily enough was signed off by the LHMU and the QAS",Emspa represents staff professionally(lhmu can only represent in matters to do with the EBA) and maintains a 100% winning record including a supreme court win against the QAS" ,as for membership numbers Emspa QLD is approaching 800,Emspa NSW 700 and with Emspa Vic about to launch it should only be a matter of time before The association overtakes the LHMU ambulance sections figure of 2200 members nationally across Australia,as for the LNP well I believe both parties where invited and only one turned up,finally the 4% rise "thanks for getting us what the government offered in the first place!" some of us have long memories much to the detriment of the LHMU.

regards

its sunny

Go Emspa
Old Feb 10th 2010, 2:20 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

<pulls up a chair and cracks open a cold one>

Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

One thing I hate are unions blowing their own trumpet at how good they are, they just as good and as bad as each other. They remind me of politicians, full of hot air and only available if it profits their own propaganda needs.

John
Old Feb 14th 2010, 8:32 am
jon&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a mp;kate

jon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud of

Comical mate...make that now an 8% pay increase while in arbitration..unheard of normaly....On that subject what has emspa done for staff in arb???? nothing is the answer.They union has solicitors so what makes a firm that just sends letters all the time any different???.also just in QLD the union is 2500 strong so your figures are way out as vic also has similar numbers and you have WA and NT on top of that . most emspa members are also union members and a high number of emspa are honoury members paying nothing in fees..union has pumped in huge resources on arb and emspa nothing ...100% record in cases means 1 win out of 1...As for the roster changes from 10 hr emspa cant alter them as they are not party to the agreement so another myth.OH and to all overseas para remember the union helped to get you guys here...Emspa state no political alignment so why are they advising the LNP????? all ambo's on the choppers you now have twin engines thanks to the union....The extra 500 ambo's on the road thanks to the union...i could go on if you like...If emspa wanna keep bringing up 10/14 rosta's changes that happened years ago then they are realy moving forward..Fact many gold coast emspa are comming back to the union as they are seeing just what an anti climax they are.As for victoria well im down there and emspa advertised on there site about starting down here and it has never happened... Will the union get it right all the time NO... But they have won us a shed load more than we have lost over the years..and saved countless staff from losing their jobs....who saved comms and pts a few years back in QLD???When you next do salary sacrifise remember who won that one aswell....A lot of hot air and little change in fact not one thing has been changed conditions wise by emspa in 5 years so they are realy kicking arse for ambo's....more like a cash cow for a law firm..if i remember correctly the founders of emspa were UNION DELEGATES so is it a group running their own agenda and dragging others along with them??????.i would rather be part of a union that has over 110000 members than a non union that has 1500 members and no full time officials ..

Last edited by jon&kate; Feb 14th 2010 at 9:39 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:47 am
Just Joined

kiranhill is an unknown quantity at this point

hi can someone tell me if qld are having interviews in london still and if so how does it work thanks alot
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

No you have to go to Brisbane for interviews now.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:03 am
Just Joined

kiranhill is an unknown quantity at this point

ok thanks for getting back to me can you tell me how it all works then what is involved how long the interviews are how long it all takes does any one now what the pay is thanks
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kiranhill
ok thanks for getting back to me can you tell me how it all works then what is involved how long the interviews are how long it all takes does any one now what the pay is thanks
Hi Mate

I know it's a pain in the arse but this thread has tonnes of information that will answer all your initial questions, you just need to take the time to trawl through it all. Also QAS website had some good info sheets for international applicicants, I haven't been on there for a while so things may have changed.

John
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Its sunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jon&kate
Comical mate...make that now an 8% pay increase while in arbitration..unheard of normaly....On that subject what has emspa done for staff in arb???? nothing is the answer.They union has solicitors so what makes a firm that just sends letters all the time any different???.also just in QLD the union is 2500 strong so your figures are way out as vic also has similar numbers and you have WA and NT on top of that . most emspa members are also union members and a high number of emspa are honoury members paying nothing in fees..union has pumped in huge resources on arb and emspa nothing ...100% record in cases means 1 win out of 1...As for the roster changes from 10 hr emspa cant alter them as they are not party to the agreement so another myth.OH and to all overseas para remember the union helped to get you guys here...Emspa state no political alignment so why are they advising the LNP????? all ambo's on the choppers you now have twin engines thanks to the union....The extra 500 ambo's on the road thanks to the union...i could go on if you like...If emspa wanna keep bringing up 10/14 rosta's changes that happened years ago then they are realy moving forward..Fact many gold coast emspa are comming back to the union as they are seeing just what an anti climax they are.As for victoria well im down there and emspa advertised on there site about starting down here and it has never happened... Will the union get it right all the time NO... But they have won us a shed load more than we have lost over the years..and saved countless staff from losing their jobs....who saved comms and pts a few years back in QLD???When you next do salary sacrifise remember who won that one aswell....A lot of hot air and little change in fact not one thing has been changed conditions wise by emspa in 5 years so they are realy kicking arse for ambo's....more like a cash cow for a law firm..if i remember correctly the founders of emspa were UNION DELEGATES so is it a group running their own agenda and dragging others along with them??????.i would rather be part of a union that has over 110000 members than a non union that has 1500 members and no full time officials ..
Hi Jon & Kate - I think the only way to respond to your post is to correct each point in order of which it was written. Point 1. The 8% interim payrise that has been achieved during arbitration consisted of 2 x 4% increments. These were for the year 2008/09 and 2009/2010 in leu of the fact that no pay rise had been awarded because we were in arbitration. The standard government offer for those same years, (should we have accepted it) was 4 and a half percent and 4 percent respectively. The 2 increments that were awarded will not be additional to an arbitrated increment, rather form part of whatever offer is made. ie. if we end up with the standard 4 and a half percent goverment offer for the first year, we will only receive an additional half a percent on top of the 4 percent already received in the interim. In effect, we are currently half of one percent behind where we would be if we were not in arbitration and had accepted the government offer. Don't get me wrong, i think that the union has done the right thing by not accepting the offer, but to suggest that the union has achieved something remarkable and unheard of during arbitration is slightly self induldgent. Point 2. What has EMSPA done during arbitration? As you will know doubt be aware, EMSPA are not allowed to have representation at the QIRC and don't for one second pretend that they can. What they were able to do, is support fully the group of operational officers who compiled the 2 private submissions for the QIRC in support of better wages for all Ambo's. These submissions provided over 130 pages of unchallengeable evidence and were a credit to the officers who spent 5 months compiling them. What did the LHMU do....... They protested the introduction of these submissions to the QIRC on the first day of hearings (even after they were given to the LHMU to use more than a month prior to the hearings). Instead of recognising that this information was compiled by a group of diligent officers, they did everything in their power to block them being read by the QIRC. Even after the QIRC made the decision to accept the submissions as evidence for our EPA, the LHMU tried to discredit them in their final submissions. (and Yes.... I have read in entirety the LHMU final submissions).
Point 3. As disclosed in the transcripts of arbitration, there were only 743 LHMU member surveys at the time of arbitration. At the time of arbitration there were only 2231 operational Ambulance Officers in Qld. You mention that the LHMU have 2500 in Qld alone. That's quite an achievement considering. How many of those are waiters, waitresses and general hotel workers? With regards to most members of EMSPA being LHMU members, I congratulate them on their free will and encourage them to belong to the LHMU if they choose. Apart from LHMU delegates, I personally only know 2 LHMU members. One is an EMSPA member, one isn't. The choice is theirs to make and generally speaking, I am a strong supporter of the union movement and welcome their free will to belong. Point 4. With regards to "honorary members" of EMSPA who do not contribute financially. Honorary members are not taken into consideration when quoting the number of members in EMSPA. As a whole, they constitute less than a half of one percent of total membership. 99 and a half percent are fully financial full time members. Point 5. With regards to roster changes, the LHMU did not change this. In fact, it is the LHMU who signed off on the 10 hour rosters to start with. The EMSPA ensured that there was constant media attention and public awareness of the discontent with the 10 hour roster system. EMSPA also provided the information that 84% of workers were strongly opposed to the 10 hour roster system. I personally was present at a meeting with LHMU representatives and also Commissioner Higgins, only 1 week prior to Anna Blighs announcement that we will be returning to a 12 hour (4 on 4 off) roster system. Commissioner Higgins stated at that meeting categorically that we will never be returning to the 12 hour roster system. Interesting that after constant media coverage of the unpopular system, 1 week later Anna Bligh made her announcement............. In the same week, Commissioner Higgins went on "extended leave", never to be seen again. I think we can all read between the lines there. Point 6 EMSPA pride themselves on having no political bias. EMSPA always invite members of both major political parties to their AGM and all rallies. Correspondence is alway made with both parties but unfortunately the ALP (of which many of us are supporters) decline to respond to EMSPA. The LNP have always listened to EMSPA members concerns and it is certainly desired that the ALP would give members the same courtesy in the future. EMSPA do not donate financially to either political party and never will. (unlike the union). On this point, we pride ourselves immensely. Point 7 If the LHMU is gaining membership on the Gold Coast, that's fantastic. It's great that we live in a society where we have the right to make that choice. If the LHMU are starting to listen to ALL on road staff and not just their members, they deserve to have their membership grow. If I start to see true change in their attitude and true democracy occur within their organisation, I will be the first to come back. Unfortunately, instead of trying to discredit the number of members EMSPA have, or how many are in fact financial, I believe that the LHMU needs to ask themselves the following question. "Why is it that more than 700 Ambos in QLD are so disgruntled with the LHMU that they are prepared to join an association with no industrial registration and why are they prepared to contribute their hard earned money to that association". The LHMU will always have a large membership because many of us believe so strongly in the union movement and upholding the rights of the worker and will always belong to the union within our workplace. Not until the LHMU can identify with those officers who have joined EMSPA, will they become a union that I choose to be a part of. I too was an LHMU delegate. Yes, as with many other EMSPA members, I have seen the light. Does that make me a bad person? No, it just means that I have the right not to contribute financially to a union that I no longer trust. For you personally wishing to belong to a union with 11 000 members (ambos, waiters, hotel workers) rather than and association of 1500 Ambos all with a common goal, I congratulate you on your choice. For me, it is not about numbers. It's about a belief system, that everyone's opinion counts, not just my own. Your comments make it clearly apparent that you certainly do belong to the LHMU and they only add to the reason why I will not be returning to the union any time soon.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:59 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

That told him!

Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:32 am

jon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud ofjon&kate has much to be proud of

I respect your views mate i really do however it shows just how much you are clued up about the arbitration process......I QIRC does have the power to hand down a percentage on top of what has already been and its not a done deal that they will include what has already been awarded and also it was only the LHMU's well put together case that got you the 8% in 15 months not 2 years so your figures are wrong as the gov offer would have been 8% over the first 2 years and for that you had to trade off meals and roster projection(would you have done that????)....second...You are happy for the union members money to be used to get the rise and take it although you yourself have contributed sweet fa to the pot.....What have emspa done for ambo's conditions in 5 years????? Emspa have not altered rosta's as they have no industrial input to do so.......12000 ambo's nationwide are union members if you wanna include all LHMU members its a total of 125000 members and emspa has the financial clout of 1500..i heard the meeting in melbourne went well..12 people attended so they are big boys down here hey......I worked with emspa members and most of them were students who moaned about being in the same union as cleaners and other industries(you are looked after by a dedicated office within the union so in theory its a union within a union) yet it was these people who turned out to support ambo's at various rallies in the last 2 years.....I honestly think the union in QLD has started to up their game but hey the proof will be in the pudding so to speak....my thoughts dont come across to well on here and i guess it can read as if im having a go but im not.....Anyway the best thing for the future of Ambo's is a united workforce as the only winners while there are differences are the QAS......The main reason members i have spoken to are comming back is because they are sick of emspa using the members money to constantly send solicitors letters for every little thing when in most cases the worker just needs to read the industrial agreements ...I agree the union made some gaffs a few years back but from what ive heard they have picked up their game and are getting out there ....I hope this to be true as we all know the saying united we stand is true.....Again if it comes across as argumentative on here its not meant that way.oh and ambo membership is at over 2500 just in QLD(whoever your figures come from needs shooting) as you may recall the union fought hard to get 500 extra ambo's as they did to get twin engines on the choppers for flight paramedics and also you may recall that just before arb they fought to save PTO'S jobs.Emspa bang on about not being polical yet they advise the LNP who indeed wanted to cut the funding at the last state election and i have it on very good authority that emspa did NOT invite both parties to their AGM as you said they did.....Just ask one thing though.....Apart from writing a solicitors letter what do emspa do ????????.Answer is they cant do anything as QAS will not engage with them so what are you paying fees to them for...Im out of QAS but i do hope so much you guys get a good decision in arb but im sure whatever is in there that emspa can spin they will....Lastly i hear they want to go for recognition as an industrial body this year so you lot will need to stump up some serious money as with only 1500 odd paying members(many say they joined emspa as they get a good deal on health cover so you have people joining for a saving not to do the right thing and win change) the coffers will empty very rapid..do the maths ....Rant over and stay safe at work its nothing personal just that ive had good dealings with the LHMU and you have not....Hope one day that will change ...please tell me who pissed you off when you was a delegate and what region as i may have worked with you.....dont have to say it on here you can PM me .As it may be the case that the individual is no longer there anymore as the office from what ive heard is very different run place these days..Typical i move state and it changes lol....

Last edited by jon&kate; Mar 11th 2010 at 11:48 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 4:06 am
Just Joined

sunburnt-pom is an unknown quantity at this point

Classic response jon&kate.....so full of inaccuracies and untruths that I have no doubt that you are indeed a fully paid up member of the LHMU, several hours flight away, commenting on a subject you seem to know better than those of us here living it on a daily basis.
You said that "...my thoughts don't come across well on here...as if I'm having a go..." followed after many more insults by the offer to "PM" you so we can all be friends, what a joke!
I'm assuming (because I can't believe someone in the same profession as me would deliberately do so) that it was not your intention to come across as an ignorant, arrogant blustering tub-thumper, relying solely on sensationalist propoganda to defend the indefensible and shameful way the union has acted in Qld over the last few years, but you have achieved that spectaculary!
Normally, I wouldn't be driven to respond to such drivel, but as this is read by people coming to Australia for a fresh start and thinking of becoming employees of the QAS and ASNSW, you need to be bought to account pal, and your falsehoods exposed for what they are.
You, like all your other ill-informed mates, seem obsessed with the thought that EMSPA is purporting to be an organisation with industrial registration, which they obviously don't have. If you look at the website (www.emspa.org.au) it quite clearly states that it is an association of serving Qld and NSW Ambulance officers who want to protect their peers by means of contributing to a fund to provide legal protection for its members in times of work related need.
It is not there to pay full time officials with no Ambulance background to further their own political aspirations and / or careers.
You inexplicably pay to belong to an organisation in which the vast majority of its senior delegates are also managers here within the QAS, who do indeed have the right to sit at the table, with fellow QAS managers, to negotiate the workers futures!
Do they all take in mirrors and negotiate with their reflections as the union and management in QLD are one in the same???
You also reel out the old chestnut of EMSPA members being happy to use union money to secure a pay rise in the EBA's. Whats your viewpoint on ambos that don't belong to either group?, are they all scroungers too??? Be honest and admit that EBA's are in fact a legislated process that is applicable to ALL ambulance officers, regardless of any affiliations. The reason that the LHMU "stand alone" financially in this process is because that is the way they have manufactured it by refusing any other individual or organisation the right to negotiate on ambos behalfs, and they then bang on continuously about how every non-LHMU employee is a freeloader.
In fact, it was the LHMU, NOT the QAS management that most strenuously attempted to block the submissions of over 1100 QAS officers and, as you seem to have trouble with your maths and membership numbers - 2500 ambo members in QLD -, that figure equates to not only EMSPA, but several hundred non-affiliated officers being debarred from having their say at the current arbitration process. Thank God that the QIRC chose to ignore these protestations and allowed the submissions. Please explain how that is serving ambos best interests and helping to create your Utopia where we all stand united????
You also state that EMSPA members are fed up with the legal team writing letters to protect their rights at work on their behalf.
Are you therefore stating that (which those of us already here know to be true) the LHMU NEVER spends a red cent on protecting its members on a day to day work related matter, only in the industrial arena? Where do you think the majority of the EMSPA membership comes from? Disenchanted ex-LHMU members is where, because they have found the union to be unhelpful and in some cases even contributing to the managements case against their own membership, such is the conflict of interests that exists here now.
I again refer you to the website, where even someone with a modicum of intelligence would work out that the Emergency Medical Services Protection Association is an association that PROTECTS emergency medical services personnel. Their minds may be a bit more stretched trying to work out how the Liquor, Hospitality and Miscellaneous Union is the place to be for modern, professional ambulance officer.......
I notice that you also raise the matter of political affiliation too, is that wise given the LHMU's very firm and very public support and funding of the ALP???
EMSPA do NOT contribute ANY funds to ANY political party, and the accounts are available for all members to scrutinise at all of the AGM's, and I would resign from the membership if they started to do so.
I don't know who your "good authority" is either that informed you the ALP were not invited to the last AGM by the way, but I personally spoke to an ALP person on that day. Unfortunately they were there "unofficially" so that they didn't get into trouble. Maybe they were there trying to get information, maybe because they genuinely appreciate how bad our pay and conditions are, but either way, they were there.
You also ask what EMSPA does other than write solicitors letters, well, they don't write solicitors letters for a start, the solicitor does that rather obviously.
What EMSPA does is give ambos, who don't neccessarily want their profession mixed into politics, in the member states an alternative to a politically motivated union, interested only in making a mark on the industrial landscape rather than protecting individuals in their time of need.
EMSPA is an association run by, and consisting entirely of serving ambulance officers that has no posh head offices, no paid officials, no multitude of professions to represent, and where anyone from the "rank and file" general membership can hold a position. As your "very good authority" no doubt told you, the first point of business at every EMSPA AGM is to dissolve and elect new Executives and State Management Committees...........I can't actually remember when that occurred during my time with the LHMU, though I remember very clearly loads of LHMU office holders mates getting roles.
jon&kate, at the end of the day, you have your agenda to fly the flag of an archaic brand of unionism in a society that is increasingly moving away from a "one size fits all" system to one that embraces dedicated organisations for professionals, and we can go back and forth on this matter forever probably, but you shouldn't go to forums like this give such biased and untrue information to would-be ambos coming here, it's unfair.
As grown-up and intelligent people, they can form their own opinions and make their own choices, and don't need you or I to tell them where their money is best spent.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:04 am

How did the emspa meeting go with the UNION on friday??????????? I understand that emspa approached the union for help in resolving issues already been addressed........Not my words but told to be by an ex colleague up in QLD....

Last edited by jon&kate; Mar 23rd 2010 at 7:10 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.