British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Queensland Ambulance Service (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/queensland-ambulance-service-443934/)

k_j Apr 21st 2007 6:57 pm

Queensland Ambulance Service

Hello! I am an potential applicant, who has been following the posts here on BEP.

I just wondered how many poeple here have been offered jobs with QAS, and what is the timescale from interview etc for sucessful applicants?
Cheers!

sals Apr 21st 2007 7:19 pm

Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Hi,
I'm one of the lucky ones that was successful at interview for QAS in March.:thumbsup: I believe 71 people where interviewed and 40 got thorough. There is a thread about paramedics on here.
I applied on 2nd February 2007. Interviewed in London 26th March and got letter stating I'd been successful at interview 17th April so it's been pretty quick. I'm just waiting for my police and medical checks to be verified. I know some people have been waiting for interviews this time who applied last year. Think it depends on your timing and if they are actively recruiting, which they have been recently but I don't know what will happen in the future.
Am hoping to be able to move to Queensland for induction in July if not will be on the September one if all goes through. They only have a set number of visas so I guess space is limited as loads of people seem to be applying. I know of 6 people in the service I work for who have had positive outcomes and are hoping to be there by September.

k_j Apr 22nd 2007 6:32 am

Hi sals,
Nice one! July-That is fairly swift!
Are you encouraged to start the visa process before you know for sure on the medicals etc? How long is the visa process?
Yes, it seems to be mass recruitment- I heard they are coming to Ambex again this year. Might look into it!

skye Apr 22nd 2007 10:04 am

We too were interviewed in March and have both been offered jobs.... just waiting the confirmation letter and the visa number to apply for the 457.. We have frontloaded our medicals for the visa and these are now being held in sydney, our PCC checks have been completed, from the advice from QAS the visa will take about 6 weeks so we have set our target date of the 2nd July to go out so can be on the course on the 16th July. If we miss this date we too would be looking at September... Keep in touch everyone!

The Bloke Apr 22nd 2007 10:13 am

Originally Posted by sals (Post 4678219)
Hi,
I'm one of the lucky ones that was successful at interview for QAS in March.:thumbsup: I believe 71 people where interviewed and 40 got thorough. There is a thread about paramedics on here.
I applied on 2nd February 2007. Interviewed in London 26th March and got letter stating I'd been successful at interview 17th April so it's been pretty quick. I'm just waiting for my police and medical checks to be verified. I know some people have been waiting for interviews this time who applied last year. Think it depends on your timing and if they are actively recruiting, which they have been recently but I don't know what will happen in the future.
Am hoping to be able to move to Queensland for induction in July if not will be on the September one if all goes through. They only have a set number of visas so I guess space is limited as loads of people seem to be applying. I know of 6 people in the service I work for who have had positive outcomes and are hoping to be there by September.

By the sounds of it they pull out all the stops for you guys. It is a bit of a change to see the Gov't selection system work alot faster than they do for those who live in Qld. I have been told by someone I know (who is a trainee paramedic) that they are taking whoever they can get and that you have to seriously stuffup on the course not to pass.

temptininnit Apr 22nd 2007 10:19 am

Originally Posted by skye (Post 4680078)
We too were interviewed in March and have both been offered jobs.... just waiting the confirmation letter and the visa number to apply for the 457.. We have frontloaded our medicals for the visa and these are now being held in sydney, our PCC checks have been completed, from the advice from QAS the visa will take about 6 weeks so we have set our target date of the 2nd July to go out so can be on the course on the 16th July. If we miss this date we too would be looking at September... Keep in touch everyone!

Remember the list of things you have to do when you get here. The world and his donkey are moving to queensland, you may struggle to get a decent rental.

I have 5 weeks until I start from arrival, I may get a little time to enjoy my surroundings after I get my list of things done.

Give yourself some time to chill.

:)

temptininnit Apr 22nd 2007 10:27 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke (Post 4680118)
By the sounds of it they pull out all the stops for you guys. It is a bit of a change to see the Gov't selection system work alot faster than they do for those who live in Qld. I have been told by someone I know (who is a trainee paramedic) that they are taking whoever they can get and that you have to seriously stuffup on the course not to pass.

???

sals Apr 22nd 2007 11:21 am

Originally Posted by skye (Post 4680078)

I was hoping to be on the July course too but my UK police check is taking forever! Don't know why because I've no record. It may not come until 8th May so wanted to be out in QLD at least 4 weekes before starting. Not sure that's going to be possible now.
Skye can I ask did you have extra medical for visa on top of the QAS one with your GP! I'm wondering if that's required whether it would be worth getting them done now? I've got all the other info I need ready to go so once I get the word I'm ready send all off.

It's been really quick and very chaotic but I guess I strive on that and I'm glad it's happening this way and I don't have to wait for more than a year, which I know has happened to a few people who have applied on 126 etc. It means I haven't got time to talk myself out of it ! lol Only problem is because everything is last minute, not been able to book flights and shipping in advance. Have sold my house just waiting to complete and any help anyone has on getting ahead of the visa game to get things to move quickly and smoothly would be gratefully appreciated.
Let me know where abouts you're all going, we're off to northern Queensland, hopefully Townsville.

The Bloke Apr 22nd 2007 11:26 am

Originally Posted by temptininnit (Post 4680138)
???

???? Please explain?????

skye Apr 22nd 2007 11:48 am

Hi Sals

We had our visa medicals done at Handsworth Wood, you need to go on the immi.gov website and select one of the registered panel doctors, waiting times can vary between 4 - 6 weeks, we were lucky and got a cancellation 3 days later, these need doing as well as your QAS medical.. They cost us £485 for two adults, chest xrays, bloods etc and they courier them to sydney into the holding area until the visa is applied for. PM me if you need more info - more than happy to help!

BTW we are going to Southport - south of Brisbane!!!!

sals Apr 22nd 2007 11:52 am

Originally Posted by skye (Post 4680355)
Hi Sals

We had our visa medicals done at Handsworth Wood, you need to go on the immi.gov website and select one of the registered panel doctors, waiting times can vary between 4 - 6 weeks, we were lucky and got a cancellation 3 days later, these need doing as well as your QAS medical.. They cost us £485 for two adults, chest xrays, bloods etc and they courier them to sydney into the holding area until the visa is applied for. PM me if you need more info - more than happy to help!

BTW we are going to Southport - south of Brisbane!!!!

Thanks Skye that's really helpful. Will let you know how we get on. Keep me informed and maybe see you in Brissie x

k_j Apr 22nd 2007 12:51 pm

How come they need so many? And why the UK recruit? Is there something dodgy about QLD?!!

skye Apr 22nd 2007 1:38 pm

Its cheaper for them to recruit from the UK and pay the expenses than to train people from scratch!

sals Apr 22nd 2007 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by skye (Post 4680701)
Its cheaper for them to recruit from the UK and pay the expenses than to train people from scratch!

This is true. I think it takes 3 years to get paramedic diploma/degree in Qld and then you still need to get experience. Although we in the UK have less training and don't always have degree/diploma, we are bringing alot of experience. It would appear they want at least 3 years post reg experience. The only problem is for those of us with higher quals they don't recognise them and we have to go as P3/advanced care paramedic, not as an intensive care paramedic, to be honest ICP is the level I thought I would be assessed as being equivalent to, due to my background. Not to be though! Still only got assessed as ACP even though I'm RGN, Reg Para and ECP. You can challenge this decision once there but their level of A&P etc is particularly high. Well, it would be after 3 years lol. Apparently the majority of peole who challenge fail the tests and then have to apply and go through the ICP training. I believe proving you're at ICP level is very intense including exams, on the road observation and a very nerve wracking, in depth panel interview!

scotspat Apr 22nd 2007 3:26 pm

Hi there I too was successful at interview and have a few queries to ask.

How long does it take to become a permanent resident if you go over on a 457 visa ?

Or are we going over on a permanent resident visa?

What do you need document wise for the visa application?

Can you watch the footy in oz/

Many thanks