Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland Ambulance Service

Queensland Ambulance Service

Old Apr 24th 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all
Default Re: Queensland Ambulance Service

Originally Posted by skye
Ok - 11 services in the UK - how many going from each one.....
I work for NWAS n know of 5 got through interview, 1 had an interview but didn't make it. They are just the people that work in my area that I know! I tell you there's gonna be no one left. But what do I care I'll be having a barbie n beers on the beach that's staggering distance from my new, much bigger, gorgeous house lol
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

tyne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by skye
Ok - 11 services in the UK - how many going from each one.....
NEAS here. Only myself and 1 other that i know of who are applying to QAS.
I think a few more people will follow though. A lot of people i have spoken to are not aware of the situation with QAS recruiting UK paramedics.

We shall lead, others will follow!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tyne
NEAS here. Only myself and 1 other that i know of who are applying to QAS.
I think a few more people will follow though. A lot of people i have spoken to are not aware of the situation with QAS recruiting UK paramedics.

We shall lead, others will follow!
How true lol.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Tetley999 will become famous soon enoughTetley999 will become famous soon enough

Thing is, you can only miss-treat people so much before they will do something about it, you reap what you...............

Its great to have so many like minded people on here, sort of re assures you that its not just you thats seeing all the negatives.

At the monent my wife and kids are in a sort of bubble. You see, we live in a nice area 15 mins drive away from the pond life. So they find it difficult to see the growing problem on a daily basis. In my humble oppinoin in another 10 years / months, this place will simply be a dangerious, selfish, insufferable place to bring up a family. I am sure that when my son is 20 he will thank me for making the move.

We will all be in Brisbane on holiday in early August,,,,on a look see.
Would anyone mind meeting on a golden beech with a cold one and a barbie?

PS.. would the last Paramedic in the UK please turn the Vent off!!

Tetley
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tetley999
Thing is, you can only miss-treat people so much before they will do something about it, you reap what you...............

Its great to have so many like minded people on here, sort of re assures you that its not just you thats seeing all the negatives.

At the monent my wife and kids are in a sort of bubble. You see, we live in a nice area 15 mins drive away from the pond life. So they find it difficult to see the growing problem on a daily basis. In my humble oppinoin in another 10 years / months, this place will simply be a dangerious, selfish, insufferable place to bring up a family. I am sure that when my son is 20 he will thank me for making the move.

We will all be in Brisbane on holiday in early August,,,,on a look see.
Would anyone mind meeting on a golden beech with a cold one and a barbie?

PS.. would the last Paramedic in the UK please turn the Vent off!!

Tetley
I agree with you entirely Tetley. I have a young son, who is still a baby. I find it comforting to think he will hopefully grow up in a better place.
I know queensland probably has its problems too, but from what others have said its a so much better place to bring kids up. That is very important to me.
Besides that, i love barbies and beers!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:36 pm
k_j
Just Joined

k_j is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think you could ever move to a new place and expect it to bring you happiness.. UK is one of the best places in the world to live. If you can't be happy here, where the hell can you! It's what you make of it..
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by k_j
I don't think you could ever move to a new place and expect it to bring you happiness.. UK is one of the best places in the world to live. If you can't be happy here, where the hell can you! It's what you make of it..
Its not that im unhappy in the UK, i have a very good life and a good family.
Its about improving on the things that are important to you in life. My son and wife come first in my life, so moving to a place where you can spend quality time together in a nice climate, having days out and exploring all that OZ has to offer, rather than the crappy weather we get here for the majority of the year sounds good to me.

I, like most people contemplating a move have looked long and hard at all the + and - of both places. For me, the Oz lifestyle suits my family and myself better than the UK lifestyle.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Tetley999 will become famous soon enoughTetley999 will become famous soon enough

K-J

Maybe its just because I work in the pond and you live on the lily!!

There has been a steady but relentless decline in society and the level of threat whilst on the job has without doubt increased. In my experience there is now a total lack of respect towards ambulance staff. 90% of whome are still awaiting stabb vests to be issued.

I have to say that in my opinion this decline is due in no small part to the tide of immigrants in recent years. Lets be honest here, I am not talking about highly skilled professional immigrants entering the country to enhance both theirs and our standard of living. But the ones who bring nothing and demand everything.

Now before you start it's absolutely nothing to do with race / religion, take a drive down any inner city street and see how often cars pull out on you then when you flash them you get the finger, because after all..... its your fault!
How many cars are parked on double yellow lines, on the pavement, not taxed, drivers on the phone whilst cutting you up and smoking, not wearing a seatbelt with loose kids in the back.
Groups of kids on the corners trying to look as ARD as possible, selling drugs and spitting infront of you as you get out of the ambo. Yea life in Britain is great........as long as you can afford to avoid the ever increasing no go areas, don't have any kids and never need to let your wife drive through these areas.
I have'nt even got onto the terrorism thing yet. Many of you carry dosemeters to your office?? As a part of PPE????

Forgive me while I rant some more......do you think I could get away with selling swords, knives and axes in the middle of a 10,000 person "celebration" no neither do I.

Unless....... I am a minority religion and its a part of my belief that everyone should carry a very long sharp sword, in the summer when tensions are high between various factions......mmmmm good idea.

Now I am sure that Australia has all of the above, but not in such quantities and at least its in the sun!!

Don't get me wrong I do see the irony in me wanting to become an immigrant in another country in order to escape the immigrants here, however I do not intend to take out of the system more than I put in. I do not expect my new country to support me or make any planning exceptions to accomodate my need to build a large triangular church (In green) I just want to fit in, enjoy the lifestyle and watch my family grow happy and strong.

Sorry I could go on Much Much longer.

Perhaps I am just an isolated unhappy cynic, but I think moving to another country and making the best of it CAN make you happy

PS BBQ in Brisbane on a beach in August anyone??

Tetley
Old Apr 26th 2007, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Go on Tetley!

I bet you feel better after that!

Im sure most of us, if not all of us can relate to what you have just said. We work in a job where the majority of users/abusers of the service tend to be pond life. Thats the way it is. In my 20 years service i have seen this get steadily worse.

If only the UK was as strict on immigration as Oz we might not have seen this decline in society.

Shame i cant make august for the barbie on the beach. Im planning a holiday for october i think. Never mind,it would have been nice.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 7:25 am
k_j
Just Joined

k_j is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Tetley,
You are right, I am lucky enough to live on the edge of a lily, but work in the pond, so can whole heartedly agree with what you re saying!
I think that there are still lily-like parts to be had...South West for example!
But remember, the Media in this country does a wonderful job of stirring it and only ever portraying the shite.
Good luck to you though. Brave decision, and nothing ventured,nothing gained..
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

K-j

Thanks for that,

I agree with you S/W is a fine place, Pudsbourgh sands, but the barstards would not let me build a small house near the cliff edge!!! Couldnt see the problem.

We are not 100% for moving to OZ yet (family etc) geuss thats why I'm on this site.

What do you do?
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:30 am
Somewhere in Oz

sla453 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sals
I work for NWAS n know of 5 got through interview, 1 had an interview but didn't make it. They are just the people that work in my area that I know! I tell you there's gonna be no one left. But what do I care I'll be having a barbie n beers on the beach that's staggering distance from my new, much bigger, gorgeous house lol
Hi Sals..

I work for NWAS too - located somewhere that has a big tower by the seside!! and donkeys on the beach (4 legged not 2 legged!!)

I had sucessful interview in march, just waiting now for PCC and meds to clear. Not heard anything else yet though..

Your right - there isn't going to be anybody else left!! Quite a few from my area are seriously considering applying - techs as well.!!

Wife and I are going over for a reccy in june - Cairns and Brisbane. Should have a 'get-together' and confer notes..
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:45 am
Somewhere in Oz

Originally Posted by Tetley999
K-J

Maybe its just because I work in the pond and you live on the lily!!

There has been a steady but relentless decline in society and the level of threat whilst on the job has without doubt increased. In my experience there is now a total lack of respect towards ambulance staff. 90% of whome are still awaiting stabb vests to be issued.

I have to say that in my opinion this decline is due in no small part to the tide of immigrants in recent years. Lets be honest here, I am not talking about highly skilled professional immigrants entering the country to enhance both theirs and our standard of living. But the ones who bring nothing and demand everything.

Now before you start it's absolutely nothing to do with race / religion, take a drive down any inner city street and see how often cars pull out on you then when you flash them you get the finger, because after all..... its your fault!
How many cars are parked on double yellow lines, on the pavement, not taxed, drivers on the phone whilst cutting you up and smoking, not wearing a seatbelt with loose kids in the back.
Groups of kids on the corners trying to look as ARD as possible, selling drugs and spitting infront of you as you get out of the ambo. Yea life in Britain is great........as long as you can afford to avoid the ever increasing no go areas, don't have any kids and never need to let your wife drive through these areas.
I have'nt even got onto the terrorism thing yet. Many of you carry dosemeters to your office?? As a part of PPE????

Forgive me while I rant some more......do you think I could get away with selling swords, knives and axes in the middle of a 10,000 person "celebration" no neither do I.

Unless....... I am a minority religion and its a part of my belief that everyone should carry a very long sharp sword, in the summer when tensions are high between various factions......mmmmm good idea.

Now I am sure that Australia has all of the above, but not in such quantities and at least its in the sun!!

Don't get me wrong I do see the irony in me wanting to become an immigrant in another country in order to escape the immigrants here, however I do not intend to take out of the system more than I put in. I do not expect my new country to support me or make any planning exceptions to accomodate my need to build a large triangular church (In green) I just want to fit in, enjoy the lifestyle and watch my family grow happy and strong.

Sorry I could go on Much Much longer.

Perhaps I am just an isolated unhappy cynic, but I think moving to another country and making the best of it CAN make you happy

PS BBQ in Brisbane on a beach in August anyone??

Tetley

Mate... your soooooo right in what you say - hence why we are all on here looking forward to the Great Escape!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sla453

Wife and I are going over for a reccy in june - Cairns and Brisbane. Should have a 'get-together' and confer notes..
As an employee (at the moment) of Emergency Services in Queensland, I definitely don't want to be seen as putting anyone off. But please take on board the comments from the people who have been advised they will probably be stationed in rural areas at first.

The main problem in recruiting is that people no longer want to work in remote areas, on the whole. So be prepared to serve your first couple of years in somewhere slightly more remote than Brisbane or Cairns.
This week's vacancy list - for example - Townsville/Yeppoon/Gladstone/Tully/Silkwood/Mareeba/
Charters Towers/Mount Garnet/Home Hill and finally one in Cairns. No Brisbane, thats not unusual, thats the norm.

Some lovely places to visit, but you need to think very hard and do your research, especially if you are moving a young family. These places may suit you, as everyone has different requirements and expectations, but be warned - that Cairns vacancy will go to someone who has served his/her time. If you are doing a reccie - go outside of the cities, and try and see what life would be like living in a very rural area for a couple of years. I really admire you guys cos I couldn't do the job you do; and I'd love to see you work for 'my' Dept, cos its a good one, but I'd hate to see you lose heart because you were faced with a posting you never expected.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 26th 2007 at 11:01 am.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:23 pm
Somewhere in Oz

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As an employee (at the moment) of Emergency Services in Queensland, I definitely don't want to be seen as putting anyone off. But please take on board the comments from the people who have been advised they will probably be stationed in rural areas at first.

The main problem in recruiting is that people no longer want to work in remote areas, on the whole. So be prepared to serve your first couple of years in somewhere slightly more remote than Brisbane or Cairns.
This week's vacancy list - for example - Townsville/Yeppoon/Gladstone/Tully/Silkwood/Mareeba/
Charters Towers/Mount Garnet/Home Hill and finally one in Cairns. No Brisbane, thats not unusual, thats the norm.

Some lovely places to visit, but you need to think very hard and do your research, especially if you are moving a young family. These places may suit you, as everyone has different requirements and expectations, but be warned - that Cairns vacancy will go to someone who has served his/her time. If you are doing a reccie - go outside of the cities, and try and see what life would be like living in a very rural area for a couple of years. I really admire you guys cos I couldn't do the job you do; and I'd love to see you work for 'my' Dept, cos its a good one, but I'd hate to see you lose heart because you were faced with a posting you never expected.

Thanks for that info Pollyana..

Thats our intention.. Just chose those areas as a nice area to return to after a long hot day looking round! Besides - wife wanted a sea view.. Got to keep her sweet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.