Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

QUARANTINE - OUR DOG HAS DIED

QUARANTINE - OUR DOG HAS DIED

Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: QUARANTINE - OUR DOG HAS DIED

Originally Posted by alliekate
Hello,

we found out yesterday (friday) during our daily call to Eastern Creek, Sydney that our beautiful black labrador Sydney (5 years old) was found dead in his kennel the day before. With my terrier in the same run.

We were unable to make contact with the kennels on the thursday, presumably because they were dealing with Syd. They did not make contact with us - we were home all day. We found out in our routine friday call.

Both our dogs arrived two weeks ago, and now the little one is alone for the next two weeks, and if I visit it will be more traumatic when we have to leave her again.

They are doing a postmortem on Syd, but I will never forgive myself for not being there. How many dogs do die in Quarantine, does anyone know ? I was wary of eastern Creek after the Equine Influenza disaster, but nothing can prepare you for this.

I have just had my two cats vaccinated, the vet said it is the dogs that suffer more than cats for some reason. He has never heard of cats die on the journey, but recently dogs seem to be dying.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Sorry to hear your sad news. It's such a shame.

I have just had my two cats vaccinated, the vet said it is the dogs that suffer more than cats for some reason. He has never heard of cats die on the journey, but recently dogs seem to be dying.
Please do not assume this is to do with the journey. Labs hearts can be like little time bombs and this might just be a co-incidence do not assume that this is due to the dog being shipped. To us this is a major event, to a dog the flight is just like a long car journey, they do not realise they are flying and the quarantine is just like kennels when on holiday. You cannot automatically connect these two occurences this may cause more distress to a loving dog owner.

Cheryl
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:44 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Im at a loss for words - this is such a tragedy - just take comfort in the time and love you all shared - love to you all xxx
Old Jan 1st 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

cathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the rough

Thankyou so mcuh. Till we meet again at the bridge, i'll never get over this. He was such a gentle, loving soul.

a xxxx
Poor poor you.
My heart just aches for you.
My "girls" are my family too, you put so much love into them.
My thoughts are with you.

A few years ago I do a counselling course as part of a care of patients with cancer. When talking about bereavement they said it was accepted fully that people can grieve as much and as deeply for a pet as a person, but for not as long. This is something I have found out to be true through personal experience....

The one thing that I will say , (and forgive me if this seems heartless) is that when your littler terrier comes out of quarantine she will be lost and bereaved too. We have had first dog put to sleep at home and the remaining dog has fallen into deep depression (even after being shown the body so that they might understand what has happened). The ONLY thing that helped mend his broken heart (and ours too I must say) was getting a puppy.

They will not be a replacement, nothing can replace the dog you have lost (and in such difficult circumstances).

What they will do is give you something positive and absorbing to do and love you, love you, love you. The remaining dog will not want to be an only dog (ours never have having always lived as one of 2 or 3 dogs) she may hate a puppy to start with (ours did!) but within days they will be inseperable.

It probably sounds a really heartless thing to suggest but do give the idea some thought. I am sure there will be a labrador puppy in Oz that is waiting for you to love him/her...

Cathy
Old Jan 1st 2008, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Hello,

we found out yesterday (friday) during our daily call to Eastern Creek, Sydney that our beautiful black labrador Sydney (5 years old) was found dead in his kennel the day before. With my terrier in the same run.

We were unable to make contact with the kennels on the thursday, presumably because they were dealing with Syd. They did not make contact with us - we were home all day. We found out in our routine friday call.

Both our dogs arrived two weeks ago, and now the little one is alone for the next two weeks, and if I visit it will be more traumatic when we have to leave her again.

They are doing a postmortem on Syd, but I will never forgive myself for not being there. How many dogs do die in Quarantine, does anyone know ? I was wary of eastern Creek after the Equine Influenza disaster, but nothing can prepare you for this.

Am shocked at the terrible way in which the situation was handled by the quarantine people.

Dreadful news.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of
Unhappy Re: QUARANTINE - OUR DOG HAS DIED

This is horrible, as if the whole process is not stressful enough, this is the last thing you expect !!

Me and the hubby are hoping to hear something back soon, as we are planning the off in October, we also will be taking our baby, my 18mth old chocolate lab, Kizer (my little boy!). I have to admit, hearing stories like this is not putting my mind at ease one bit.

It is painful enough putting your pets into quaratine in the UK, then shipping for 24+ hours and then quaratine in Oz !!!! I don't want to turn this into a discussion about money but, are your pets insured whilst boarding in Oz, are you covered for things like this ???? This is NOT a cheap process, where do you stand in matters like this ?

I am honestly quite worried about shipping my boy, I couldn't bear the thought of something happening to him and I wasn't with him.

My thoughts go out to poor Sydney and her family / owners, I suppose all you can do is wait for some answers, I know it won't make things easier, but at least you will know.

Donna.
xx
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:29 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

So sad to read about Sydney -thoughts with you and little Sophie
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Really sorry to hear of your sad news.
My little dog fly's out 20th Jan to Perth quarantine, I'm dreading it.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold

Thank you so much again.

We have no idea what the cost will be to us - we have to pay for their boarding (probably right up to the minute Sydney was found dead), but we hope that because it was a death in quarantine, the Government has to take over the cost of the investigations.

We have also paid for an outside, private vet to fully check Sophie over.

Our new pet insurance starts the day they (sorry Sophie) comes out.

The first thing I wanted to do was visit Sophie, but that would just confuse her more - an quarantine is closed until 2nd Jan anyway.

My main hope is that Sophie understood Syd had died, cos she was with him, and that he didn't just walk out of her life.

a xx
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Thank you so much again.

We have no idea what the cost will be to us - we have to pay for their boarding (probably right up to the minute Sydney was found dead), but we hope that because it was a death in quarantine, the Government has to take over the cost of the investigations.

We have also paid for an outside, private vet to fully check Sophie over.

Our new pet insurance starts the day they (sorry Sophie) comes out.

The first thing I wanted to do was visit Sophie, but that would just confuse her more - an quarantine is closed until 2nd Jan anyway.

My main hope is that Sophie understood Syd had died, cos she was with him, and that he didn't just walk out of her life.

a xx
I am sure that Sophie will understand what has gone on, dogs are alot more clued up than we think, I think so anyway.

I hope the investigation brings all the answers, surely the quarantine have got questions to answer, why the HELL did they not call, to look after animals, surely you have to be an animal lover, right ?

D.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear about this - it is heartbreaking.
If it was an underlying condition hard to detect, although it would have happened anywhere, it must be so distressing to be so far away and find out on your routine phone call.
My four cats went through Eastern Creek - I was worried sick, especially about Archie my older Ginger cat who is neurotic - but they all came out fine. One of our cats was quite sick in there too - from a known pre-existing condition, basically because the company who organized their export didn't forward all his treatment details, diagnosis and medication with his photo that I packaged up. They (Eastern Creek) called me the day the cats arrived to tell me they had found this condition etc and needed to treat him, so I then had to explain and fax his details off.
Eastern Creek, either the vet or maid called me daily at first - it was the export company that made me mad. Unfortunately Archies sister (in my avatar) died suddenly one night several months later. Had been totally healthy and active. Turned out to be an embolism from an undetected heart condition and our vet said there is often no sign of anything wrong until the end. We were heartbroken for a good while so I can understand the distress you must be feeling. Sorry to ramble.
Really feeling for you.
xx
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

How awful for you, my heart goes out to you. xxxx
We had to rush our little pup to vet last night, my little boy was climbing over fence , that had not been finished and the fence fell on the dog, he was in so much pain. I thought something was broken.
This morning when we went back, he is walking and they think it is muscular.
I just stood crying at the vets last night, thinking we might lose him, I never thought I would feel like that over a pet.
Denise x
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Nozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to allNozzys is a name known to all

Hello,

Nat X
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

My heart goes out to you and your family and Sophie
I read your story yesterday but couldn't answer because I was in tears.
I really hope you get some answers from Eastern Creek, it doesn't seem to have been handled very well at all.
I can imagine that Sophie is missing her friend very much.
My love to all of you xxxxx .....B.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 2:56 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Were so sorry to hear your beloved pet has died...

Our dogs were together at Eastern Creek and we explained to the folks there that unless meal times were supervised one dog would eat the other dogs food if given a chance and would they make sure this didn't happen. We were given a mobile number of the carer and we kept in contact and left messages on a daily basis.

After their period in clink, we noticed their condition...one was skin and bone and our other dog was overweight

For a few weeks they got stressed out when we left the house and we wondered whether STRESS could be one of the major reasons why our dogs behaviour had changed?

They couldn't bark properly for a couple of weeks and Shetland Sheepdogs are renowned for it!

Is it probable that our pets maybe pining for their master and they can lose their appetite and probably go into a crisis while they travel here and then spend more time in Quarantine?

We hope you get some answers soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.