Old May 26th 2010, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Ballz85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Quantity Surveyor need some guidance

Hello to all @ BritishExpats

I'm a newbie to the site, only joined today infact

Little bit of information about me:
25 year old male from the UK
Me and my partner (both aged 25) are wanting to move out to australia for a better way of life.
Back in 2005, we applied for our working holiday visa, were granted them and spent a year in our opinion 'the best country by far' and we have been to a fair few.

A feel i have stong qualifications i.e.10 G.C.S.E's, 3 Alevels, HND in building Production Technology and a BSc Hons Degree in Quantity Surveying with also 3 years experience in the industry which i am hoping is good enough to become employed

My question i am wanting information on is working as a Quantity Surveyor out in OZ? Are companies looking for overseas experienced QS's with good qualifications? Can anyone point me in the right direction of certain companies that spring to mind?
I have currently been directly emailing companies listed from search engines (Google, yahoo) but the process seems a little slow on the reply side of things

I am currently in the process of applying to the AIQS for a skilled assessment and then hoping to progress from there.

Any further information you feel i need to know will also be welcome

Your thoughts/opinions would be of great help

Kind Regards

Graham
Old May 27th 2010, 6:01 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Quantity Surveyor need some guidance

Try these guys
http://depreciator.com.au/careers.html
Old May 27th 2010, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

JP87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Graham,

Are you a PQS or a Contractor's QS?

Contractor's QS's seem to be called "Contract Administrators" over there.

A list of members is on the AIQS website, but I would think you'd struggle to get a job prior to moving.

I'd be interested to know how you'd get on though because I'm planning to do a similar thing in a few years.

I've just finished the 3rd year (of 5) of my degree and plan to move as soon as possible after graduating. I've been trying to find out whether I'd be better becoming RICS accredited over hear before moving, or waiting until I get out there and joining the RICS/AIQS once settled, or even if the AIQS/RICS has the same reputation/effect on your career over there as it does in the UK.
Old May 27th 2010, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Ballz85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link mark, very helpful!

Hey JP87

I am a contractors QS with 3 years experience
I have had a look on the AIQS website to look at specific members who i have contacted.
With regards to getting a job prior to moving, i feel that it would be in my best interests to try and secure a job before venturing out to live in aus as i will feel that little bit more secure in knowing what i am actually going to be doing in the long term so Ill keep looking and asking

Because my degree is RICS accredited as will yours be when you graduate, i have since mentioned this to the AIQS who have told me that i am still to have a skills assesment with them too