Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quality of life.

Quality of life.

Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Quality of life.

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
When I was in England, I worked very hard to obtain a decent quality of life (often working 6 days a week, and long hours - so that my days off were spent recovering, and I found that I had little time to enjoy life in England.

I worked last week and this weekend I have been able to enjoy a glorious, sunny lifestyle here in Victoria.
It started with a drive down the Great Ocean Road from my home in Williamstown to Lorne. During the drive, we stopped several times to look and walk on the amazing coastline of the area - beaches that were full of variation - from the renowned Bells Beach, where the world Surf Championships are due to be held Easter weekend; coves almost hidden by towering cliffs and a lovely stretch of rockpools where starfish, anenomes, sponges and weird and wonderful seaweeds could be seen.
The trip terminated in Lorne, a very pleasant small town which had many parrots of various kinds that I have seen during my whole time in Australia so far (King parrots; Eastern rosellas and Crimson rosellas, and a mob of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos - which seemed to take great delight in dive-bombing us as we sat having a drink in a park.

The next day was spent in Melbourne CBD at the Moomba Waterfest - watching the International Waterski Championships - as well as some time wandering the Royal Botanical gardens - all free entertainment and relaxation.

Today (had a 3 day weekend ) we spent in the vicinity of our home - having a stroll down to the Marina at Nelson Place (in Williamstown, home town)

Next week I have 4 days off together (Sat to Tues inclusive) and plan to explore further down the GOR to Port Fairy and drive back taking in the shipwreck coast and the Twelve Apostles - staying anywhere that can put us up.

I have found that my life has become less materialistic since being here, and that enjoyment comes not from ownership, but from the ability to get 'out and about', and enjoy life and the beauties of this amazing land (and I've only just tasted a little !! );to be able to work my week without having to do hours of overtime (either to pay for things or else due to chronic staff shortages)
Maybe this life is not for everyone - some people feel that they need the most uptodate gadgets, flashly cars and expensive homeware etc - and fair enough to those people - but Australia does seem to offer an alternative to those that want it.

Cas
*sigh* what a lovely thread to read on a chill morning in Blighty. Thanks for the imagination trip

All I want to say to Oz is "let us in.......NOW!" lol

Looking forward (one day soon) to sampling a lifestyle like this but had best get dressed now and set off to the retail park .... well, it IS Sunday...........! hehehe

Hugs
K
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:19 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Looking forward (one day soon) to sampling a lifestyle like this but had best get dressed now and set off to the retail park .... well, it IS Sunday...........! hehehe

Hugs
K
Don't forget to get Sunday lunch at a Toby Inn or maybe even McDonalds - LOL

Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Merlot
Don't forget to get Sunday lunch at a Toby Inn or maybe even McDonalds - LOL
Already booked a table at the local Carvery, it gets very busy on a Sunday .... hahaha
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:21 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
*sigh* what a lovely thread to read on a chill morning in Blighty. Thanks for the imagination trip

All I want to say to Oz is "let us in.......NOW!" lol

Hugs
K

excellently put, if only every body found out the easy way that there is more to life than working. we went to oz 3 yrs ago and just kept the same lifestyle. not knowing anything else for the last 15 years we just carried on as normal. i know every body is different and some people would find doing nothing except enjoy life boring. for us because we kept the same life it didn't work. it was just the uk without our friends. some how inamongst the pressure of getting enough money together in the first place and then setting up over there we kind of forgot why we went. we will be returning to oz summer next year and we will certainly be living the life we long for. enough to live on and enough life to lead.
louise
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst out with my older Daughters this evening, I thought I would ask them, Is Melbourne dangerous to go out at night time, Seeing as it is possibly the most multi cultural part of aussie. I asked them about different Ethnic groups, which I know is asking about racial pre-dispositions, and probably not the best way to approach things. However their answers did suprise me. Basically, they say the Ethnic problem doesn't come from New Migrants, but from the 1st Generation, or children of migrants, who are basically acting in the way they think they are supposed to act. So I asked are you ever scared going out in the city, They said it's just as likely to be an Aussie causing problems, as any Ethnic persuasion.

Then I said, when was the last time you were scared in the City, The answer to this, was so bloody funny, I did really laugh, maybe I shouldn't have, It could be inappropriate, but the answer did really suprise me.

Last xmas/new year, We had the deaf olympics in Melbourne, and apparently there were fights all over the place, arguments in the streets, and the deaf people went right off. setting of fireworks and getting really rowdy and taking over the city streets. Apprently cars were getting damaged, and the cops were working overtime to control it all. Apparently they are very wary of deaf people now.

It wasn't the problem that i was expecting them to relate, Ive got to admit.

LOL
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:29 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Whilst out with my older Daughters this evening, I thought I would ask them, Is Melbourne dangerous to go out at night time, Seeing as it is possibly the most multi cultural part of aussie. I asked them about different Ethnic groups, which I know is asking about racial pre-dispositions, and probably not the best way to approach things. However their answers did suprise me. Basically, they say the Ethnic problem doesn't come from New Migrants, but from the 1st Generation, or children of migrants, who are basically acting in the way they think they are supposed to act. So I asked are you ever scared going out in the city, They said it's just as likely to be an Aussie causing problems, as any Ethnic persuasion.

Then I said, when was the last time you were scared in the City, The answer to this, was so bloody funny, I did really laugh, maybe I shouldn't have, It could be inappropriate, but the answer did really suprise me.

Last xmas/new year, We had the deaf olympics in Melbourne, and apparently there were fights all over the place, arguments in the streets, and the deaf people went right off. setting of fireworks and getting really rowdy and taking over the city streets. Apprently cars were getting damaged, and the cops were working overtime to control it all. Apparently they are very wary of deaf people now.

It wasn't the problem that i was expecting them to relate, Ive got to admit.

LOL

this is so true! whilst er were there we didn't encounter any problems with feeling frightened at all. we went to loads of do's with some family we have out there and this was the year the world cup was on, even when we went watch the football (sorry soccer) in the RSL clubs there was no animosity except from the english travellers i hate to admit.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:35 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Only jealous in the sense that GOR is a place I could visit over and over!!(especially inland at Cape Otway, and Cape Bridgewater, which is my idea of retreat from everything)

But I agree, it's what you make of the opportunities that are around you. (To be fair, you can have a materialistic life in Oz as much as you can in the UK, and there are many, many beautiful places to visit in both. )

I wish you all the best for happy times in Oz

I agree, people can have a materialistic life in Aus - and that is fine if that is what they want - it is up to the individual. (and I agree, there are lovely places in UK to visit)
The thing that got me in the UK was that I worked so damn hard - and ended up so knackered I rarely had the chance of getting out and about as much as I wanted, and then found myself buying things as compensation.

The thing is here - there seems to be more opportunity to make a choice, without being slammed for that choice - the attitude of acceptance is throughly refreshing.

My personal choice is to live a simpler, less stressful, less materialistic life.
Others may choose differently, but that is ok for them too.

Cas
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:36 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by louise4
excellently put, if only every body found out the easy way that there is more to life than working. we went to oz 3 yrs ago and just kept the same lifestyle. not knowing anything else for the last 15 years we just carried on as normal. i know every body is different and some people would find doing nothing except enjoy life boring. for us because we kept the same life it didn't work. it was just the uk without our friends. some how inamongst the pressure of getting enough money together in the first place and then setting up over there we kind of forgot why we went. we will be returning to oz summer next year and we will certainly be living the life we long for. enough to live on and enough life to lead.
louise
Me too, when I was in Oz only the last year or so we realised that there was more to life than work. We cut back out hours and other things to enjoy this.

Our return to the UK has really brought this home, so we have learned that when we return things in Oz ARE going to be different for us, take the bull by the horns and just live for the now.

Merlot

Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:40 am
forever hopeful

Originally Posted by Merlot
Me too, when I was in Oz only the last year or so we realised that there was more to life than work. We cut back out hours and other things to enjoy this.

Our return to the UK has really brought this home, so we have learned that when we return things in Oz ARE going to be different for us, take the bull by the horns and just live for the now.

Merlot
do you think sometimes it is what is ingrained in us from childhood. for my parents generation it was work mon-fri shopping sat pub for the men and housework/sunday roast for women. this was all put upon us as children and it is only now that i realise it is ok to sod about for the weekend and never mind if we have salad on a sunday.
louise
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:41 am
forever hopeful

do you think sometimes it is what is ingrained in us from childhood. for my parents generation it was work mon-fri shopping sat pub for the men and housework/sunday roast for women. this was all put upon us as children and it is only now that i realise it is ok to sod about for the weekend and never mind if we have salad on a sunday.
louise

anyway if he goes to the pub i'm bloody going as well. hahaha
louise
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:44 am
Merlot

louise
This could be true, since my return I have actually got madder with housework as I have the fear of my Mother or associated family members popping over and the place being a tip.

In Oz this had started to melt away and I saw the fun things in life but never took the plunge and really embraced them!!!!

I do like to do some tradtional things, occasionally cook a roast on a Sunday but the pressure is not there now.

M

Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:45 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
When I was in England, I worked very hard to obtain a decent quality of life (often working 6 days a week, and long hours - so that my days off were spent recovering, and I found that I had little time to enjoy life in England.

I worked last week and this weekend I have been able to enjoy a glorious, sunny lifestyle here in Victoria.
It started with a drive down the Great Ocean Road from my home in Williamstown to Lorne. During the drive, we stopped several times to look and walk on the amazing coastline of the area - beaches that were full of variation - from the renowned Bells Beach, where the world Surf Championships are due to be held Easter weekend; coves almost hidden by towering cliffs and a lovely stretch of rockpools where starfish, anenomes, sponges and weird and wonderful seaweeds could be seen.
The trip terminated in Lorne, a very pleasant small town which had many parrots of various kinds that I have seen during my whole time in Australia so far (King parrots; Eastern rosellas and Crimson rosellas, and a mob of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos - which seemed to take great delight in dive-bombing us as we sat having a drink in a park.

The next day was spent in Melbourne CBD at the Moomba Waterfest - watching the International Waterski Championships - as well as some time wandering the Royal Botanical gardens - all free entertainment and relaxation.

Today (had a 3 day weekend ) we spent in the vicinity of our home - having a stroll down to the Marina at Nelson Place (in Williamstown, home town)

Next week I have 4 days off together (Sat to Tues inclusive) and plan to explore further down the GOR to Port Fairy and drive back taking in the shipwreck coast and the Twelve Apostles - staying anywhere that can put us up.

I have found that my life has become less materialistic since being here, and that enjoyment comes not from ownership, but from the ability to get 'out and about', and enjoy life and the beauties of this amazing land (and I've only just tasted a little !! );to be able to work my week without having to do hours of overtime (either to pay for things or else due to chronic staff shortages)
Maybe this life is not for everyone - some people feel that they need the most uptodate gadgets, flashly cars and expensive homeware etc - and fair enough to those people - but Australia does seem to offer an alternative to those that want it.

Cas
Ditto what Frazer has said, reading your post has reminded me why we are doing this and why I am stressing at trying to sell my house.

Thanks,
Sharon
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:48 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Ditto what Frazer has said, reading your post has reminded me why we are doing this and why I am stressing at trying to sell my house.

Thanks,
Sharon
The last stress - come here, find your balance and live YOUR life.

Cas
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:50 am
forever hopeful

Originally Posted by chattyshazza

Thanks,
Sharon

i think the best advice i have received so far is, we are all emigrating for a reason, no matter what the reason is we all have a chance to let all the crap from past lives slip away and invent something new. i know this can be easier said than done, but if we keep in mind, even at those times when yearning for the uk, we should all be ok. Never let what you think other peples @rights@ misguid you into thinking that that is how it is supposed to be. i know i will be stronger on my return to be who and live my life the way i think will be happiest for me and my family. let everybody else stew in their own juices. it won't be me with broom stuck my backside whilst basting the beef on a sunday i can tell you.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

i think the best advice i have received so far is, we are all emigrating for a reason, no matter what the reason is we all have a chance to let all the crap from past lives slip away and invent something new. i know this can be easier said than done, but if we keep in mind, even at those times when yearning for the uk, we should all be ok. Never let what you think other peples @rights@ misguid you into thinking that that is how it is supposed to be. i know i will be stronger on my return to be who and live my life the way i think will be happiest for me and my family. let everybody else stew in their own juices. it won't be me with broom stuck my backside whilst basting the beef on a sunday i can tell you.
I agree totally....a new envrionment can give you such incentive to lead a different life...maybe it's because the lack of familiarity of EVERYTHING forces you to see things in a different perspective. - a blank canvas perhaps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.