Reload this Page >

Quality of life.

Quality of life.

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:40 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quality of life.

Just had 4 days off work - hurrah!!

We decided to make the most of the time and lovely weather and continue our discovery of the Great Ocean Road ( see 1st post)
This time going from Melbourne to Port Fairy
As we had been as far as Lorne - we decided to go on the freeway for the first part of the journey as far as Warrnambool, then picking up the GOR to Port Fairy. Our plan was then to drive back along the GOR (back to Mellie), stopping when we felt like it - as we only had a couple of nights. Port fairy is lovely, and a good start to our trip - spending time wandering around stretching our legs after the drive.
We then started back on the GOR towards Warrnambool, but on the way saw a sign for Tower Hill - turned down this small road to find the most amazing place - a crater of a volcano which had erupted 30,000 years ago - it was almost a perfect bowl full of lushness and beauty - it was also a haven for wildlife - within the first half an hour we saw Kangaroo, Koala, Wombat, Wallabies, and a magnitude of birdlife - including emu.

At Warrnambool we stopped for the night at a cheap, but comfy motel.

The next day was the sart of the 'Shipwreck Coast' - infamous for the amount of ships and lives lost on this amazing, but treacherous stretch of coast. The famous, and best known part is the Twelve Apostles, but my favourite was the Bay of Islands - stunning. again the beauty of the place was complimented by the wildlife - Rufous Bristlebirds, Welcome Swallows and Rosellas abounded.
We then continued, taking in the Grotto, Loch Ard Gorge/Blow hole and Thunder Cave; before arriving at the Otways Fly - where you can walk through the rainforest on a metal 'path' which takes you gradually up to 47 metres, so you are walking through the upper-most part of the canopy - talk about a 'birds-eye view'!
After this exhilarating walk we went to Johanna Beach - off a dirt track - a beach we almost missed, to see a gentle, but lovely sunset.
Stopping overnight in Apollo Bay (bit 'touristy, but nice enough), we headed home - just stopping briefly in Lorne again to say hello to the Cockatoos and Galahs.

Pictures on photopost.

We bought nothing, but what we saw was worth its' weight in gold.
Again we have found ourselves blessed that we are able to take advantage of this lovely part of the world.
A place which does not have to have the heart ripped out of it to suit the masses. A place that is breath-taking in its' beauty, and a place I am proud to be able call home.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:54 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Its really beautiful isn't it Cas?? Thanks for sharing

We missed the Tower hill thing though! But plenty of time to go back
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hevs
Its really beautiful isn't it Cas?? Thanks for sharing

We missed the Tower hill thing though! But plenty of time to go back
Do so, really is worth it - you could be back thousands of years
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:09 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, all these post about how great Oz is. Hmmph, why am I waiting a year.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
Oh, all these post about how great Oz is. Hmmph, why am I waiting a year.
A year out of the rest of your life............
Worth the wait - believe me
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

[the Otways Fly - where you can walk through the rainforest on a metal 'path' which takes you gradually up to 47 metres, so you are walking through the upper-most part of the canopy - talk about a 'birds-eye view'!

Hey Cas, we only managed a day trip along the GOR but managed to get as far as the rainforest walk. I was just so amazed that all this had been laid out for people totally free of charge. It felt really special to say you had been in the rainforest. All I remember from the journey was I kept saying - I've never seen anything so beautiful. The kids in the back were moaning of course - Are we there yet? Keep posting.
Sue
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:37 pm
Merlot

Thanks for sharing, glad you had a good trip.

M xx