British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Quality of life. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/quality-life-289730/)

CasG Mar 13th 2005 8:24 am

Quality of life.

When I was in England, I worked very hard to obtain a decent quality of life (often working 6 days a week, and long hours - so that my days off were spent recovering, and I found that I had little time to enjoy life in England.

I worked last week and this weekend I have been able to enjoy a glorious, sunny lifestyle here in Victoria.
It started with a drive down the Great Ocean Road from my home in Williamstown to Lorne. During the drive, we stopped several times to look and walk on the amazing coastline of the area - beaches that were full of variation - from the renowned Bells Beach, where the world Surf Championships are due to be held Easter weekend; coves almost hidden by towering cliffs and a lovely stretch of rockpools where starfish, anenomes, sponges and weird and wonderful seaweeds could be seen.
The trip terminated in Lorne, a very pleasant small town which had many parrots of various kinds that I have seen during my whole time in Australia so far (King parrots; Eastern rosellas and Crimson rosellas, and a mob of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos - which seemed to take great delight in dive-bombing us as we sat having a drink in a park.

The next day was spent in Melbourne CBD at the Moomba Waterfest - watching the International Waterski Championships - as well as some time wandering the Royal Botanical gardens - all free entertainment and relaxation.

Today (had a 3 day weekend :) ) we spent in the vicinity of our home - having a stroll down to the Marina at Nelson Place (in Williamstown, home town)

Next week I have 4 days off together (Sat to Tues inclusive) and plan to explore further down the GOR to Port Fairy and drive back taking in the shipwreck coast and the Twelve Apostles - staying anywhere that can put us up.

I have found that my life has become less materialistic since being here, and that enjoyment comes not from ownership, but from the ability to get 'out and about', and enjoy life and the beauties of this amazing land (and I've only just tasted a little !! :D );to be able to work my week without having to do hours of overtime (either to pay for things or else due to chronic staff shortages)
Maybe this life is not for everyone - some people feel that they need the most uptodate gadgets, flashly cars and expensive homeware etc - and fair enough to those people - but Australia does seem to offer an alternative to those that want it.

Cas

Merlot Mar 13th 2005 8:35 am

Re: Quality of life.

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
When I was in England, I worked very hard to obtain a decent quality of life (often working 6 days a week, and long hours - so that my days off were spent recovering, and I found that I had little time to enjoy life in England.

I worked last week and this weekend I have been able to enjoy a glorious, sunny lifestyle here in Victoria.
It started with a drive down the Great Ocean Road from my home in Williamstown to Lorne. During the drive, we stopped several times to look and walk on the amazing coastline of the area - beaches that were full of variation - from the renowned Bells Beach, where the world Surf Championships are due to be held Easter weekend; coves almost hidden by towering cliffs and a lovely stretch of rockpools where starfish, anenomes, sponges and weird and wonderful seaweeds could be seen.
The trip terminated in Lorne, a very pleasant small town which had many parrots of various kinds that I have seen during my whole time in Australia so far (King parrots; Eastern rosellas and Crimson rosellas, and a mob of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos - which seemed to take great delight in dive-bombing us as we sat having a drink in a park.

The next day was spent in Melbourne CBD at the Moomba Waterfest - watching the International Waterski Championships - as well as some time wandering the Royal Botanical gardens - all free entertainment and relaxation.

Today (had a 3 day weekend :) ) we spent in the vicinity of our home - having a stroll down to the Marina at Nelson Place (in Williamstown, home town)

Next week I have 4 days off together (Sat to Tues inclusive) and plan to explore further down the GOR to Port Fairy and drive back taking in the shipwreck coast and the Twelve Apostles - staying anywhere that can put us up.

I have found that my life has become less materialistic since being here, and that enjoyment comes not from ownership, but from the ability to get 'out and about', and enjoy life and the beauties of this amazing land (and I've only just tasted a little !! :D );to be able to work my week without having to do hours of overtime (either to pay for things or else due to chronic staff shortages)
Maybe this life is not for everyone - some people feel that they need the most uptodate gadgets, flashly cars and expensive homeware etc - and fair enough to those people - but Australia does seem to offer an alternative to those that want it.

Cas

Cas

Thank you so much for restoring my thoughts and confirming my reasons to return to Australia and in particular to settle in Victoria rather than NSW.

I went for a walk this morning at 8 am in England, it was beautiful, clear blue skies, shill in the air, daffs peaking through and did I see anyone around, nupe, even now at 9.30 am hardly a soul has left the house. What they do is sleep in (fair enough it is Sunday), get dressed and spend the say either at the Toby Inn or a Retail Park.

This is not everyone of course, but week in week out you see them leaving their highly mortgaged houses with their two cars, to go to work then come home.

I have found the working environments and attitutes here in the UK very stressful to what I am used to in Australia and the negativity a lot more too.

People just don't seem to be able to enjoy themselves anymore or appreciate the natural beauty, it is all "What can I buy today" or "My house is worth this now".

Cas, thank you again for being real and sharing, enjoy your trips, I have a Welsh Aunty who had lived in Port Fairy for over 40 years and loves it.

Best wishes
Merlot :D

hooperhome Mar 13th 2005 8:36 am

I want a bit of that !

CasG Mar 13th 2005 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Merlot
Cas

Thank you so much for restoring my thoughts and confirming my reasons to return to Australia and in particular to settle in Victoria rather than NSW.

I went for a walk this morning at 8 am in England, it was beautiful, clear blue skies, shill in the air, daffs peaking through and did I see anyone around, nupe, even now at 9.30 am hardly a soul has left the house. What they do is sleep in (fair enough it is Sunday), get dressed and spend the say either at the Toby Inn or a Retail Park.

This is not everyone of course, but week in week out you see them leaving their highly mortgaged houses with their two cars, to go to work then come home.

I have found the working environments and attitutes here in the UK very stressful to what I am used to in Australia and the negativity a lot more too.

People just don't seem to be able to enjoy themselves anymore or appreciate the natural beauty, it is all "What can I buy today" or "My house is worth this now".

Cas, thank you again for being real and sharing, enjoy your trips, I have a Welsh Aunty who had lived in Port Fairy for over 40 years and loves it.

Best wishes
Merlot :D

:) Where in Victoria are you planning on coming too? Looking forward to exploring this State - it appears to offer so much.
k sent

Cas

CasG Mar 13th 2005 8:43 am

Originally Posted by hooperhome
I want a bit of that !

Plenty of room for everyone :)

Cas

Merlot Mar 13th 2005 8:45 am

:) Where in Victoria are you planning on coming too? Looking forward to exploring this State - it appears to offer so much.

Cas

In the researching stage at present, lots of ideas have been thrown about with regards to suburbs but funnily enough Wiliamstown is up there as one of the options.

Hubby has family still in NSW so we will go back there, also to rescue our furniture in storage.

We lived in NSW for 7 years (hubby near 18 years) and feel the need to change - the variety of weather, places and culture appeal for Melbourne & surrounds, plus a good base of expats to have a beer with!!!! :beer:

Want to be back next year but really is a question of £££/$$$$, we are going to work our butts off to get back to it.

We have to save £1k for the cat, then tickets and a bit to get us going. Where there is a will!!!!

I want to be back to the more relexed, less material views on life.

Merlot :)

CasG Mar 13th 2005 8:49 am

In the researching stage at present, lots of ideas have been thrown about with regards to suburbs but funnily enough Wiliamstown is up there as one of the options.

Hubby has family still in NSW so we will go back there, also to rescue our furniture in storage.

We lived in NSW for 7 years (hubby near 18 years) and feel the need to change - the variety of weather, places and culture appeal for Melbourne & surrounds, plus a good base of expats to have a beer with!!!! :beer:

Want to be back next year but really is a question of £££/$$$$, we are going to work our butts off to get back to it.

We have to save £1k for the cat, then tickets and a bit to get us going. Where there is a will!!!!

I want to be back to the more relexed, less material views on life.

Merlot :)

Beers are chilling in the fridge :)

Cas x

Merlot Mar 13th 2005 8:55 am

Beers are chilling in the fridge :)

Cas x

Nice one, looking forward to it! :D

M xx

fraser Mar 13th 2005 8:56 am

Thank you Caroline, not long been out of bed to be greeted on here with people stressing me out about selling the house. You've just taken me to another peak on this roller coaster ride. We spent the week after new years day 2 years ago
on the Ocean rd travelling as far as the apostles and enjoying a chopper ride over them. We stayed in Apollo bay for a week which was a bit quiet for us(or maybe we were to loud for it) but a lovely place. Lorne was just gorgeous and we walked to the top of the waterfall near there taking it in turns to carry our 16mth boy. You've put it into a nutshell for us as that was when we decided 100% that this was the life we wanted so thanks again for inspiring me first thing on a cold London Sunday morning.

Fraser :D

Merlot Mar 13th 2005 9:00 am

Originally Posted by fraser
Thank you Caroline, not long been out of bed to be greeted on here with people stressing me out about selling the house. You've just taken me to another peak on this roller coaster ride. We spent the week after new years day 2 years ago
on the Ocean rd travelling as far as the apostles and enjoying a chopper ride over them. We stayed in Apollo bay for a week which was a bit quiet for us(or maybe we were to loud for it) but a lovely place. Lorne was just gorgeous and we walked to the top of the waterfall near there taking it in turns to carry our 16mth boy. You've put it into a nutshell for us as that was when we decided 100% that this was the life we wanted so thanks again for inspiring me first thing on a cold London Sunday morning.

Stories like this from Cas, are not rose tinted but inspiring, it shows anyone can do anything.

I think sometimes getting our thoughts into the positive, things seem to happen, like house sales, money, etc so I am going to live as much with positive thoughts today so our issues of money to return to Oz get answered.

Good luck with your sale.
M :)

Bordy Mar 13th 2005 9:05 am

We drove down to Essendon today for the Footy teams family day.
Met up with a fellow Ex Pat & her daughter & had a picnic on the field before chasing a few autographs.

The drive over the Bolte Bridge on such a beautiful morning was stunning with the city reflecting in the water at the docks.
I know Melbournes not everyones cup of tea but I wouldn't swap it for anywhere.

CasG Mar 13th 2005 9:06 am

Originally Posted by fraser

My words come simply from how I feel, and inspired by the country and its' people.
Keep your memories in your mind, and use them to inspire your efforts, and as an aid to your return.

Cas

Merlot Mar 13th 2005 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
We drove down to Essendon today for the Footy teams family day.
Met up with a fellow Ex Pat & her daughter & had a picnic on the field before chasing a few autographs.

The drive over the Bolte Bridge on such a beautiful morning was stunning with the city reflecting in the water at the docks.
I know Melbournes not everyones cup of tea but I wouldn't swap it for anywhere.

OK, you guys quit now with uplifting stories :D

Bordy Mar 13th 2005 9:09 am

OK, you guys quit now with uplifting stories :D

Ok it was actually chucking it down, blowing a gale & about 4 degrees, we were never over the door. :D

CasG Mar 13th 2005 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
Ok it was actually chucking it down, blowing a gale & about 4 degrees, we were never over the door. :D

But the waves were fantastic............