Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qualifications equivalent

Qualifications equivalent

Old Apr 14th 2018, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Juliaw151 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualifications equivalent

Just curious, as I saw a post on another forum website about this, what would a BTEC national diploma be equivalent to in Australia? This post reckoned am aqf level 5 (diploma), anyone able to verify or correct that?
Old Apr 15th 2018, 1:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications equivalent

Originally Posted by Juliaw151
Just curious, as I saw a post on another forum website about this, what would a BTEC national diploma be equivalent to in Australia? This post reckoned am aqf level 5 (diploma), anyone able to verify or correct that?
You never said exactly what you do. You have said nursery practitioner, toddler leader, early educator. What exactly is that? Do you work in a daycare centre or a school? If you work in a daycare centre, are you a manager or are you a daycare provider? In a school? Are you a teacher or a teaching assistant?

Those things matter! Just because your job title is not on any lists doesn't mean that the duties you do don't come under a different title.

Give us something to work with here!
Old Apr 15th 2018, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You never said exactly what you do. You have said nursery practitioner, toddler leader, early educator. What exactly is that? Do you work in a daycare centre or a school? If you work in a daycare centre, are you a manager or are you a daycare provider? In a school? Are you a teacher or a teaching assistant?

Those things matter! Just because your job title is not on any lists doesn't mean that the duties you do don't come under a different title.

Give us something to work with here!

I work in a nursery... I literally said exactly what I am, a nursery practitioner. 😂 I’m nursery practitioner/ deputy room leader of a toddler room.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 12:14 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I work in a nursery... I literally said exactly what I am, a nursery practitioner. 😂 I’m nursery practitioner/ deputy room leader of a toddler room.
A nursery in Australia is a place that grows and sells plants. So, you take care of young plants?

Is a nursery the same as a daycare?

What are the duties of a "nursery practitioner/deputy room leader of a toddler room"?

If you want to live and work in Australia you have to start looking at things through Australian eyes. What is your occupation in Australia?
Old Apr 15th 2018, 1:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A nursery in Australia is a place that grows and sells plants. So, you take care of young plants?

What are the duties of a "nursery practitioner/deputy room leader of a toddler room"?

If you want to live and work in Australia you have to start looking at things through Australian eyes. What is your occupation in Australia?
Broadly speaking, yes UK nurseries are the closest equivalent to Aussie daycare.
I don't know how Aus divides the kids up in daycare, but from what I have learned from my niece back home who worked in a nursery before becoming a private nanny - most UK nurseries are divided into a babies room, toddlers room etc. You have a room leader, who is the senior, and she/he usually has a couple of other staff within that room, caring for that specific age group. If the nursery is big enough there would also be a deputy room leader, but that depends on numbers of children being cared for- it may not be needed.
A Room Leader usually has a good level of qualifications as they are responsible for the activities, learning, playing, reading, healthcare, feeding etc of the children in that age bracket, as well as supervising the other staff in the 'room'.

My niece was a Room Leader for a toddler age group for a while, she had completed an apprenticeship at NVQ 3 or 4, and had about 2 years post qual experience (from memory)

I don't think it translates directly to Aus but I have very little experience of the set up here.

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 15th 2018 at 1:15 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

I don’t know what it’s called? A day Care I guess then. Because I work with children not plants.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Broadly speaking, yes UK nurseries are the closest equivalent to Aussie daycare.
I don't know how Aus divides the kids up in daycare, but from what I have learned from my niece back home who worked in a nursery before becoming a private nanny - most UK nurseries are divided into a babies room, toddlers room etc. You have a room leader, who is the senior, and she/he usually has a couple of other staff within that room, caring for that specific age group. If the nursery is big enough there would also be a deputy room leader, but that depends on numbers of children being cared for- it may not be needed.
A Room Leader usually has a good level of qualifications as they are responsible for the activities, learning, playing, reading, healthcare, feeding etc of the children in that age bracket, as well as supervising the other staff in the 'room'.

My niece was a Room Leader for a toddler age group for a while, she had completed an apprenticeship at NVQ 3 or 4, and had about 2 years post qual experience (from memory)

I don't think it translates directly to Aus but I have very little experience of the set up here.

Yeah see I’m deputy room leader of the toddler room. I have exactly the same qualifications as the room leader, but about a 6 months less experience than she does.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 9:24 pm
Still alive

I don’t know what it’s called? A day Care I guess then. Because I work with children not plants.
Right. Then you will need to look at the skilled occupation lists for what matches your skills and experience. Don't be hung up on the title, a skills assessment is based on your day to day tasks at work along with your education.

For example, in Canada my job title was Ophthalmic Technician. I did everything an optometrist did except sign prescriptions. I could write the prescription (for corrective lenses and for basic eye drops -post cataract surgery) but I was not authorised to sign them. That job title does not exist in Australia. In order to do all the same duties I would have to be a registered nurse.

So, start looking at the skilled occupation lists and find the best fit for your job (if it's on the lists at all). Then look at what is required to pass a skills assessment. Bear in mind though that Australia churns out thousands of daycare workers every year. It's not a particularly well paying job and there is a huge turnover. A friend's daughter works at a centre in our suburb.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 5:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Wife is NNEB and works as a childcare educator under kinder teacher. NNEB is equivalent to Diploma in Aus.

https://www.acecqa.gov.au/
Old Apr 16th 2018, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this was discussed in your other thread, and you were directed to AITSL for skills assessment?

At this stage I would suggest you contact a MARA-registered agent with expertise in guiding applicants in the education field through the skills assessment process, as you are unsure what you qualify under, if you qualify at all.

The skills assessment is not a formality and the requirements are very strict and inflexible, and experience is interpreted very narrowly.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 12:56 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by carcajou
I thought this was discussed in your other thread, and you were directed to AITSL for skills assessment?

At this stage I would suggest you contact a MARA-registered agent with expertise in guiding applicants in the education field through the skills assessment process, as you are unsure what you qualify under, if you qualify at all.

The skills assessment is not a formality and the requirements are very strict and inflexible, and experience is interpreted very narrowly.
I think the problem is that she's not a teacher so wouldn't pass an AITSL assessment.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem is that she's not a teacher so wouldn't pass an AITSL assessment.
Yes . . . and I think, from the other thread, that she doesn't understand the requirements for the skills assessment. That is not meant as a dig at the OP but to underscore that I think he/she needs the advice of a MARA-registered agent who can guide him/her through the skills assessment, instead of throwing darts in the dark. I think OP should also be prepared to hear bad news from the agent, but instead of taking that to mean the end, instead use that information to form a viable visa strategy for the future. Migration sometimes can take a while.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 1:19 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by carcajou
Yes . . . and I think, from the other thread, that she doesn't understand the requirements for the skills assessment. That is not meant as a dig at the OP but to underscore that I think he/she needs the advice of a MARA-registered agent who can guide him/her through the skills assessment, instead of throwing darts in the dark. I think OP should also be prepared to hear bad news from the agent, but instead of taking that to mean the end, instead use that information to form a viable visa strategy for the future. Migration sometimes can take a while.
Exactly. I had a look at the skills list and unfortunately there is no daycare worker on there. The closest is daycare centre manager which is a difficult skills assessment to pass.

Perhaps a working holiday visa if the OP is under 30 to see if Australia is actually where she wants to be a child minder. If after a year she decides it is then she can start on the 5+ year plan.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

I thought it would be early childhood teacher which is on the mltssl (I think that’s it the medium long term list), does everything I do here.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Exactly. I had a look at the skills list and unfortunately there is no daycare worker on there. The closest is daycare centre manager which is a difficult skills assessment to pass.

Perhaps a working holiday visa if the OP is under 30 to see if Australia is actually where she wants to be a child minder. If after a year she decides it is then she can start on the 5+ year plan.
I’ve done my working holiday visa, I definitely know it’s where I want to be

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.